1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe's Mach One

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Couldn't bring it home because I'm two states away from OH. FFL required.

Meanwhile I shot the BarraKuhna and realized just how much I like the pistol grip and straight back design. Pistol grip gets my thumb down and trigger finger parallel with the barrel. Also lets me tighten up the LOP for easier pivoting which you have to try to understand. Straight back design - I want my recoil delivered that way...

I asked Dennis if he could make the above mods. He said it'd be easy so it's going to happen. A little weight in the stock and it'll be good.

By the way, this will be on the newly fitted bondo/wood stock, not the original as shown in the pic. It's going to be coool.

Keep your eyes on the target, Joe.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Joe, since the rib is lower than on the Bak', you are going to have to tip your head forward and so move your nose forward, where it seems to me that your shortened stock will cause your thumb to punch your nose.

Neil

Since you haven't asked whether you should just try to learn how to shoot the type of gun millions have had success with, and in fact every All-American has shot since time immemorial, we won't comment on that.

3. Neil Winston

As I said, Mike, I won't comment about the theoretical benefits of Joe's program. The first part of my post was just to point out to him that Rollin is right - when you make a change you often introduce other changes related to the way bodies are made that can't be anticipated and sometimes can't be avoided. Joe has, he says, a long neck, so you look at the changes he proposes and tell me how it's supposed to work. Can he really keep his head vertical (as he likes) with no drop at the heel? How's he going to look down the rib without hitting his nose with his thumb?

Thinking outside the box is fine. Just remember: there's a reason there's a box in the first place.

Neil

4. joe kuhn

Neil,

The new stock is fit so I see down the rib perfectly with an upright head. Shorter LOP just brings the gun and right arm back, not the head down. Head can't come down, comb is right there. Wood comes straight back from receiver to comb. Thumb is way down and around that full pistol grip which I can't show without a pic with me and the gun. Maybe later...

Guys, there's a sweet spot with a shorter LOP that no one knows about. When you shorten it to just the right point, your arm stops having to reach so far for that grip and your shoulder muscles behind the pad don't tighten up. This keeps the gun from moving forward a small amount in the last moment of your mount. Coach had to show this to me. It's a small thing but gives me that glove fit feel.

Rollin and I are discussing this on the side and I'm not so sure I've convinced him of anything. In the end, I guess we'll see.

Fun discussons guys. Gotta go to work.

Joe

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I observed part of this in the development stage At Dennis DeVaults shop. When Joe put together his first "experimental" shotgun with the Holo sight way above the bore, some said he'd never break a 25 with such a contraption?

Putting aside Joe's shotgun preferences for a bit, he had some basic fundamental problems with shotgunning in general. We all know what that leads to? He had those with both shotguns (abnormal to us) prior to buying the MachOne also. Those, more so than type of gun, were the main problems with more consistent shooting for him. He did shoot a pair of 22s his last two rounds with the MachOne shooting alone and shooting behind some birds. Sorta tough targets too I might add. Its a much faster acting shotgun than anything Joe has ever shot. For a beginner, he didn't do too bad either!

I think his preferences is more likened to shooting a thumb hole stock with this latest, rather than something out of "our" world. Best of luck to him too! Hap

6. Neil Winston

Though Joe didn't mention it, I guess you all are expecting a Selka (link above) in Mach 1 disguise.

I saw Al shooting one at the Grand a few years ago, scoped and generally weird-looking. I haven't seen one since.

As all agree, time will tell.

Neil

7. Hap MecTweaks

At the shop, I finally got to see the BK gun put together. Neils right, it does look "weird" for a trapgun. All this time, since Joe put it together, he's been shooting it with the comb about a 1/2 inch lower than it should be for his mount and build! He added a wood comb on top of the tube when he returned home, which gives him a more reliable cheek weld. That alone will help him a lot with a consistent mount. You fellows have to remember, Joe's highest round prior (Kuhner #1?) was about 15 or so. With his MachOne, irregardless of his choice of fitted stock, I'd guess his first 100 will come pretty quick once he gets used to it. At least as quick as most of the newer average shooters might expect with what we call a conventional trap gun. As said above, time will tell, I wouldn't bet the farm against the possibility of that not happening either! Hap

8. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Ok guys lets keep everything in perspective. It is thinking outside the box that made the MachOne what is today and what will make the new Infinity what it is going to become this year. Copying old designs that were done 30 and 40 years ago is the very reason that guns in this sport have not advanced. Several years ago I saw the 22 rifle that the Bi-Athalon shooters shoot in the Olympics. Those guns cost over $300,000 to build because of all the radical designs and they were built for a total of 38 shooters. Thinking outside the box is what keeps me going forward and looking for new designs. Joe was a breath of fresh air. When I built the MachOne in 1993, no one ever glued a gun together and to this day we are the only one's still doing it. Thank God I didn't listen to all the people that told me I was crazy. I challange any company to show me a barrel that is held closer in tolarance than what we build or a barrel that will hold it's integerity year after year and never change. This is the only sport that I have seen where people will spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy a gun then before they even shoot the gun send it off to have the barrels reworked or a new after market trigger put in so it will function correctly. As far as Joe paying me alot of money, I did what I did because I wanted to. Joe was treated just like any customer that walks in this door no mattere how much money they have. Anyone that knows me also knows that I have given more money away than this company will ever make trying to help each shooter acheive his or her goals in shooting. OK now I am off the soap box and want to say thank you to all that have given us support through the years. Shoot often and as much as you can, take a friend with you the next time you go, the sport needs all the help it can get.

Dennis DeVault

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

It's an old one.

10. Dennis DeVault

We are finishing the first Infinity's now. We have had a little delay in receiving some of the metal that we use and the deliveries have been late. Hope to have the first 6 ready to deliver in about two and a half weeks. As soon as the first is completed we will post photo's on the site here and on our web page.

Dennis

11. Hap MecTweaks

While I was at Dennis DeVaults shop, I looked at and handled/fondled the parts that will be the new Infinity shotgun. I've never seen a barrel with such a smooth concentric bore ever. A masterpiece in metal/wood art is the new Infinity. Fitted together without heat destroying molecular changes, the gun will be something to own and shoot trap with! I worked with metal all my life and the way these guns are built impresses me tremendously!

Dennis DeVaults old MachOne shoots fair too. I stood beside him shooting from about 45 yards behind the trap in a buddy shoot and I didn't get a chance for a back-up shot, he broke them all! The mans a shooter as well as a master gun maker! Hap #8?

12. joe kuhn

Neil has it right on the Selka. That's the Grandpa to this gun but in the external stock dimensions only. Internally the Selka is a completely different animal with a slam fire recoil reducer in back of the receiver. LOP on the Selka looks longer that what I'm after, so that's different too.

Stock bolt question is a good one, but I'm leaving that to Sir Dennis if it becomes a problem. He's got a ready made solution from his Infinity - a dove tail design you can just barely get a glimpse of from the post above.

Stock you see in picture will be left alone. Developement work is on a bondo / wood stock that will eventually make it to a piece of Gordy's darker wood.

Thanks Dennis for speaking up. The whole process, what I've learned and the folks I've met have been just great.

If you haven't been fitted by Dennis, you owe yourself the favor. Gun doesn't have to be a Mach One - and you can check out the Infinity while there.

Eyes on target, Joe.

13. joe kuhn

Sam, Try a copy and paste into your address area rather than a jump. You may not be able to jump if you're not logged in as a member. Joe

14. joe kuhn

Shawn, I'll try to describe the 'boltless' stock design since I've seen it.

There's a one inch plate held perpendicular to the receiver with dove tail male joints along it's sides. This fits up into the back of the receiver which has the female dove tails on it's sides. The plate slides up from the bottom.

Then there's a short bolt that goes into the stock from inside the trigger housing through the back of the receiver, through the small plate and into a nut glued into the front of the stock.

A picture is needed for sure.

15. Dennis DeVault

The above URL should work and take you to our site. As soon as the first stock is completed we will post photo's of the boltless design. Thank you to all for your interest and we are working long hours to get this first batch done.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.