1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe's Closing Today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Post 2, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Joe

Just heard confirmation on the local radio station that Joe's, Formaly G.I. Joe's, is starting to liqudate today in preperation to shutting down the Bend, Oregon store. This follows Sportsman Warehouse that sold March 31, 2009. Post-2.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

All of Joe's are closing including the Boise store, I was there yesterday and they have some ammo

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Same in Eugene; can't get within 2 blocks of the store for traffic.

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

In case you missed it ... Joe's Sports, a 57-year-old Northwest staple based in Wilsonville, Ore., will close its doors for good this summer, putting 1,600 jobs at risk after selling to a liquidator for less than half its value.

It's "Everything must go" by June 30, and a big sale begins today.

From The Oregonian:

The liquidation, tentatively approved Thursday by a federal bankruptcy judge in Delaware, brings an end to one of Oregon's larger and most storied retail chains. It got its start in the trunk of founder Ed Orkney's car before moving into a tent on North Vancouver Avenue -- familiar tales to longtime Portlanders. Joe's lineup shifted through the years from Army surplus and camping supplies to a mix of automotive parts, fishing and hunting gear, and sporting goods.

Things are "extremely" busy at Seattle's Joe's Sports at 328 NE Northgate Way, an employee there told me. Everything is marked 10 to 30 percent off, with discounts set to increase in a couple weeks. The store closing at 9 p.m. tonight.

G.I. Joe's Holding Corp. filed for bankruptcy last month. Fifteen of its 31 stores are in Washington

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Lance, Sportsman's Warehouse sold the Bend store to a Canadian Co-op. The Meford store remains a Sportsman's Warehouse. I don't recall right off but there were a significant number of stores sold and some were retained. Seems they lost their credit and had to go on a cash only basis with their creditors. The Bend store as I understand it will remain open with similar sporting goods featured. The Credit Coupons and gift certificates are no longer honored and the 5% discount per flat of Shot Gun Shells is no longer.
    I would suppose more changes are in the works. Post-2

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Went to the local "Joe's", and what a freakin' joke. Their 10% to 30% off sale was more like 10% on everything, with only a couple of items on sale for more. The camo clothing was not marked as to how much off it was, and I noticed that on it and a lot of other items the typical marked down prices had been removed and now the price was MSRP. Even with 10% off many items were still more than what they had normally been selling them for. And there were items that they've not carried before. Some liquidation items apparently have been sent in from other retailers that the liquidators handle. For the most part, I could do better with the prices at Joe's local competition, or even from Cabelas including shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.