1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

joel etchens 687 trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tback, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tback

tback TS Member

I am looking into purchasing a beretta 687 trap from joel etchens, w an adjustable comb and gracoil system. would appreciate any opinions/comments regrading dealings w etchens and his 687 trap gun. thanks

2. C50

C50 TS Member

Buy it you won't regret it. Don't think you would need the Gracoil System on it since they don't recoil very hard to begin with. Around where I'm at there are 6 or 7 of us who bought one from Joel in the last 3 years and no one is dissapointed yet that I know of.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Great gun...great buy.

Curt

4. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

I own a left handed combo 34 /32 with an adjustable comb. I've had it for about 2 years and it's been great. I can't complain about the gun and I most certainly cannot compalin about how I was treated by Joel and his staff.

I bought the gun via the Internet and a couple of pictures. I had no problems at all with the Etchen organization. You can buy with confidence from them. They will not let you down.

The gun itself runs like a swiss watch. My misses, and there are many, are not due to the gun but the guy behind it. The only thing I did add were extended chokes but that was a personal preference. The chokes that come with the gun are fine.

Good luck.
    John Semprini
    Chicago

5. Bitter American

Bitter American TS Member

Just bought one 4 months ago. Easy to work with. Had it within a week to Washington state. I chose EELL wood, it was worth it. Great gun!

6. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

What is the Joel Etchens 687 gun ? I'm looking for a 682 or 687 combo with 34'' unsingle myself ..... Ricky

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Could one of you Beretta guys explain the differences (mechanical and otherwise) between a new 682, a new 687, and the Etchen 687 trap?

sissy

8. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My understanding is Joel's combo is the 687 SPII receiver which is a bit nicer perhaps than the 682E, but he fits up the 682 barrels that are slightly overbored with the longer forcing cones.

It is a great gun, as I have one in my safe. I will no doubt add the unsingle barrel once they become available next year hopefully.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The 682 has a trigger that is adjustable for position. Otherwise, the differences between a 687 and 682 are cosmetic and the 682 has the better Optima barrels.

Joel's 687s are Silver Pigeon II grades, which includes engraving and nicer wood. Additionally, Joel specifies an oil finish (easier for the owner to repair), overbored 682 Optima barrels with longer choke tubes, two I/M tubes instead of two Fulls (you do not need two Full tubes - my son's 687 SPII hammers targets with the .025" I/M chokes) and a slightly lower comb height, as many of his clients commented about the comb being too high in standard form. Basically, you get a 682 with nicer engraving and wood minus the position-adjustable trigger. Reports of that trigger developing internal play over time would suggest that not having it might be intentional on Joel's part.

If you go to Joel's website, there is a link to the gun test I did on my son's gun.

Ed

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Ed:

I'm not a Beretta guy but I'm giving it some thought. Thanks for the info.

sissy

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You're welcome, Sissy.

Those who know me or follow my writing are aware that I write to the "average" shooters from the perspective of one of their peers and never blow smoke or make a product that isn't top notch sound like it is. With that said, I very highly recommend Joel's 687 SPII combos. I cannot tell you how many shooters, both local and otherwise, have purchased them at my suggestion and have written or called to tell me how much they like their guns.

I bought my son's kind of as an afterthought. While he was in college, I received an offer for the Krieghoff combo he was shooting (on the rare occasions that he did shoot) that I could not refuse and sold the gun on a Wednesday morning only to learn that afternoon that he was coming home that weekend to shoot with me! OOPS - so it was off to the Internet in search of something I could afford that he would like.

I found a nice used MX-10 top single at Joel's and drove out to look at it. We were filling out the paperwork when I commented that it was shame I couldn't afford another new combo for him right then because he likes shooting doubles. Joel told me that if I could afford that used MX-10, I could afford one of his new 687 combos and showed me one. I brought it along home and was very impressed with its feel and light recoil when I shot it at 50 targets. Jason was equally happy with it so I decided to let others know about the gun by doing a gun test on Jason's (a link to that test is above).

I was not given the gun or even a discount on it, so I wasn't returning a favor of any kind when I said good things about it. In fact, the only "bad" thing about them is the recoil pad - they come with two different thickness pads but both are more of a stock protector than a recoil pad. I always suggest replacing them with a softer pad.

If I ever buy another new trap combo for myself, it will be one of Joel's 687s.

Ed

12. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

JUST TO CLARIFY- THE ETCHEN 687 COMBO -HAS THE OPTIMA BARRELS AND ALSO THE REPLACEABLE BARREL SHOULDERS-RICK ZINO

13. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I would second Averaged's recommendation on the Joel Etchen 687 trap combo. I first read about these in Ed's column in Shotgun Sports, and then did a bit of research on the web. Later at last years Grand American I had the opportunity to visit Joel Etchens Guns on vendors row, and inspect the then fairly new unsingle combo's Joel was having made. I, of course , wound up buying a combo then and there. It is an outstanding buy, a great gun, and wonderful shooter. Not only that, it is a great looking shotgun, and gathers many comments on the range. As a bonus, the folks at JEG are simply great to do business with. One thing not mentioned, the JEG 687 Combo does not come with Beretta factory adjustable comb hardware (often criticized). Instead, JEG will install an adjustable comb, using Graco hardware, which IMHO, is far better than Beretta's. The lower comb stock and other dimensions, to JEG specs rather than Beretta's is also simply more attuned to American shooters I think. It is overall, one of the best buys in the Trap shooting world today.

14. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Captain, I don't know if I can afford them, but I would like to see a picture of both these guns if not to much trouble .... Ricky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

joel echen trap guns

joel etchens 687 trap

when did the joel etchen 687 come out

where to buy 687 trap gun