1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Kuhn's gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Joe saw your new Mach"Coon"0ne at Dennis's yesterday, it is truly magnificent & unique. Hold on to something sturdy when you see it. It is going to knock your socks off.----Phil

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe will be tickled to hear that Phil!! Hap

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yes, thanks - just heard from Dennis and Cindy that it will arrive on Monday. Yeah!

Cindy carved a raccoon face on the bottom of the fore end and put some coon tails on the stock.

Updated rib, new finish on the receiver, brass plate on the stock. Tear drop thumb hole stock...

This has been a year long project and I owe alot to Dennis and his team for sticking with me on this one. Thanks.

4. joe kuhn

5. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Joe, might be changing my name to INFINITY 232---can,t wait also---Phil

6. joe kuhn

Way to go Phil and Jerry. I'm holding out for Dennis' double gun next.

Spending time with Dennis and crew is like being a kid in a candy shop, isn't it?

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This thread is useless without pics.

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Brian in Oregon:

I agre but this was the best I could do im sure Joe the Kunner would shoot it with all the attachments, if they would stay still long enough.

Fog

9. joe kuhn

Here's the before picture.

10. joe kuhn

Teardrop thumbhole with beautiful brass pieces and super checkering by Cindy. Notice raccoon tail. Sorry about the glare. Will try again.

11. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Joe!!!! show the guys Rocky's face on the forend------Phil

12. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Wow, talk about a chunk of wood!! What does that thing measure from heel to toe? Dennis and Cindy did some fine work as usual. Truly a one of a kind setup! Garrett

13. joe kuhn

Here's the right side.

14. joe kuhn

The raccoon face on the fore-end. Sorry about the fuzzy picture.

15. joe kuhn

Didn't add any weight to the barrel end. I like my guns to be balanced at the front of the trigger guard and this is 'perfect'. Its weight is proportinal to my dislike for recoil. It's very heavy.

Ok - Dennis and Cindy and team did an superb job from concept to finish. I could not have asked for better people to work with. I may have pushed a button or two asking for things throughout the year that are non-conventional. If so, it never showed. Dennis either improved it, which is the case with the brass end, or straightened out my thinking as was the case with the rib change. I was reversed in my thinking on which way to move the rib to tweak the poi.

The really amazing thing is the feel is exactly as it was before shipping the bondo stock out. Nothing changed in terms of fit. It's right there, like a glove.

Heel to toe is 8.5 inches. Used up plenty of Gordy's wood. Anyone is welcome to shoot it.

One other thing you can't really see is the palm swell with checkering that is faultless right up and over the ridge. Amazing. Having been a farmer and cut many an edge on the hills and dips along our creek, I wonder, "How does she do it."

16. joe kuhn

And Dennis even built a ridge on the brass piece to correspond with the adj comb.

Coincidentally, the stock design seems to work with Dennis' new concept of a boltless stock.

I love the gun.

17. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Thank you Joe,

Cindy was very worried about the carving as she always is when doing something new and different. I will tell her tonight that all is well. It was quite the project and Brain really liked the gun when it was finished, he shoots bench rest black powder guns and was thrilled that he was able to put a piece of brass on someone's stock. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Dennis DeVault

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

Congratulations! The gestation period period was just like a pregnancy! I couldn't be happier for you. Can't wait to see it in person... wishing you the best of luck,

Jay Spitz

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Joe,

I'm not certain I get the set up. The thing that I don;t get is how low the recoil pad is relative to the comb. Where does the pad sit when the gun is mounted? It appears that if the pad sits in the soulder pocket the comb would be way too high to place your head. Do you have a long neck?

I am not being a wise guy. I am just confused. Regardless, the workmanship is beautiful.

20. joe kuhn

Thanks guys, although I'd prefer to stay away from pregnancies altogether. Two kids is enough. Maybe I should pass out cigars in this case.

Interesting story regarding the wood is I ordered a regular sized blank from Gordy without knowing the final dimensions. Gordy sent the second piece you see here for a nominal fee to cover the shipping, which was pretty nice of him since it was my mistake. I should have waited. Now I know.

Yes, I have a long neck and I'm an upright shooter. It fits me remarkably well. Rollin would be proud.

Maybe I can get Holga to take a picture of me with the gun mounted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.