1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Hollingsworth

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by william miller, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william miller

william miller TS Member

Joe Hollingsworth; long time gunsmith from KY; passed away this evening, after fighting lung cancer in the last few years. He enjoyed trapshooting till the end; even was able to attend the Southwestern Grand this year. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

2. loop02

loop02 Member

He did work for me, and it was excellent. I used to drive down and spend the day at his shop. I still have his number in my phone. I guess I won't need it now. Sorry to hear about his passing.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin and I offer our condolences.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

He was at the Music City Open last week, he helped with paperwork, and assisted a shooter with a broken Perazzi. Our prayers go to his family.

5. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Proud to have called Joe my friend. My prayers go out to Sherry and Little Joe.

6. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Joe was my friend and I will miss him.

Terry Dean

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Joe was a great guy and I will miss him much...when he worked on my guns I was treated as if I was family. We are all poorer from his loss

8. Target13

Target13 Active Member

This is sad news - I knew Joe from my days at Beretta USA. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to visit with Joe and his wife @ the SW Grand in San Antonio. He knew his time was limited and we had a wonderful serries of talks and visits. Joe was not only a valued friend, but an excellent business associate. Joe was a master at his craft and his adjustable stocks were the best. Many times at shoots I had attended, I saw Joe come to the aid of a shooter with broken equipment and he handled it on the spot at no charge. Joe did a lot of favors for many shooters to become better at their game and I'm honored to be one of those. He will be missed by all and my prayers to Sherry and Little Joe. He will not be forgotten by many of us ........

Phil Murray
    White Flyer Targets

9. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Joe Hollingsworth worked on several guns for me and many people I knew. I would always recommend his services to customers when I worked as a technical advisor at Beretta USA. He always performed quality work and a quick turn-around time. He was a great craftsman and his services will be missed. Good bye my friend.

John Kirksey

10. thunder

thunder Active Member

Joe was a very good person to deal with, talk too and did fantastic work. Our prayers go out to him and his family, may he rest in peace.

Andy Hall

11. double k

double k Member

Joe Hollingsworth was a precious gift to those who knew him. he was so full of life, and was always willing to help those he loved no matter what especially kids who wanted to learn the sport. My family and I will miss Joe greatly, not only was he a great friend, but the best shooting buddy a person could ask for.
    There are so many memories of Joe that I will cherish for a lifetime, and I will never forget all the things we had planned for the future. Joe was a great friend, and he also did amazing work. Many times he worked on both mine and my daughter Jenna's guns when he did not have to do that. He was always so excited to hear how we shot, especially Jenna, who he lovingly called "Ellie Mae".
    We have no way of knowing how many days we have left, but Joe's sudden passing caught me by surprise. I went to see him yesterday and he was not home, he had gone to the hospital with chest pains. Everyone thought that he would return home later that day. The next news I received was the call that Joe was gone.
    Many people knew Joe from his years of traveling as an excellent gunsmith around the country, later he worked from home making adjustable combs. What most people did not know, he was a true master of his craft checkering stocks, building custom stocks, and rifles in his spare time. I am fortunate enough to have the last gun stock that Joe ever made on my K-80 as well as one of his custom rifles which I will cherish forever.
    Goodbye my friend, you will be greatly missed forever, and never forgotten by many, and your work will live on many more countless years.

Kenny Knott

12. bluegrass

bluegrass Member

Ditto Kenny! He was a great friend!We will miss him.

Lance Ogles

13. LITTLEJOE

LITTLEJOE TS Member

I would like to express my thanks to all of Pop's friends/customers that have posted here. It means so much to hear how my father has touched other people's lives. I showed this to Mom this afternoon and it tickled her to read all of the threads. Thanks again.

Joe Hollingsworth III

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

When I lived in Florida, I needed some stock work and heard of Joe from a friend. I called Joe and he did all the work quickly, and perfectly in a timely fashion, at a fair price. I did not know him except over the phone at that time but this shows you what a true professional he was. I had a chance to watch Joe's famous stock bending at Savannah, GA,; he was a real artist. My condolences to his family.

Charlie Becknell

15. Littleboots

Littleboots Member

Little Joe or Kenny have arrangements been made yet?

16. double k

double k Member

Littleboots2 Yes and i am posting the link for all to the funeral home Thanks KennyMr. Joseph Newton Hollingsworth Jr. 66, of Bowling Green, KY, died at 7:12 p.m. Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at Greenview Regional Hospital. Mr. Hollingsworth was born June 20, 1944 in Bowling Green, Kentucky to the late Joseph N. Hollingsworth and Ruth Coe Hollingsworth. He will be greatly missed by his friends and family. A Gathering of Remembrance will be held from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at Johnson-Vaughn-Phelps Funeral Home. On-line condolences may be sent to the family at www.jvpfh.com Mr. Hollingsworth is survived by his wife, Sharon Habich Hollingsworth of Bowling Green, KY, one son, Joe Hollingsworth and his wife Leanne of Bowling Green, KY; one daughter, Sandra Lynn Creswell and her husband Conn of San Antonio, TX; and 4 Grandchildren. Memorial Contributions may be made to: American Cancer Society, 952 Fairview Avenue, Suite 4, Bowling Green, KY 42101.

17. double k

double k Member

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Joe did my fist adjustable comb....its not like I knew him well, but he did a wonderful job, was very professional, and was very well respected by all of the more experienced shooters who sent me to him for stock work.

I hope his family and friends soon find healing and peace.

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I had know Joe for years even though I haven't been shooting the last few years he will still be missed by me Joe was a master with wood he could turn a ugly piece into something beautiful he also done some very nice checkering on guns!

I remember back in 1990 when I was lucky enough to win my Ky state singles event and won a Beretta automatic shot gun from the Beretta program they had back then, well after I got the gun then Joe told me to leave it with him because he wanted to do something to it anyway after I got it back he had made an adjustable stock with a padded soft comb on it for me free of charge.

It's no telling on how much stuff he has done in the past for free just because he wanted to, of course there is no one that everyone will like no matter who they are, ok with Joe if you asked for his opinion on something then im sure he would tell it and im sure in the past some didn't agree but we can voice our opinion at least for the time being in the good ole U.S.A.

Anyway I will visit with him 1 more time tomorrow night before he is called on the trap line in Trap shooting Heaven.

Below is the last time I saw Joe maybe a year or so ago glad I went out to the club to visit.

RO-HO!!

[​IMG]

20. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Joe was a good friend of mine and I will miss him greatly. He did excellent work and it will take a lot to fill his shoes. If you didn,t want hear it like it was then you did not need to ask Joe. He told it like it is. I was lucky enough to see him at Nashville a few weeks ago. His last words to me was and I quote (The doctor told me that I was going to die this month and I am going to try to like Hell to prove him wrong)ChromeDome!!!! Jimmy Farris!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hollingsworth gunsmith

hollingsworths gunsmithing

joe hollingsworth gun stocks

joe hollingsworth gunsmith

joe hollingsworth rifle

joe hollingsworth stocks