1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

JOE DEVERS Trap shooting History

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Looking at trap shooting colorful past, lets pick another famous name, Joe Devers. Anyone know any history, stories on this fellow? Here is a blip off of the Trap Shooting hall of fame. Scott

Joe Devers first registered trap in 1943 after having won the national sub-junior and junior skeet championships in 1941 at age 10. He won the Ohio junior 16-yard trapshooting championship in 1943 and the next year as well. He was 15 in 1946 when he won the Ohio singles, doubles and all around eliciting such tributes from the press as: "That kid is the greatest junior shooter I’ve seen." (Jimmy Robinson) and "Joe is long since out of the beginner’s class in trapshooting. Devers’ cool performance on the firing line belies his youth--but then Joe is a veteran in a sense. He started shooting when he was four years old, or just a little after he took up walking." (Bill Moore, Editor Sportsmen’s Review).

2. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I shot with Joe at the Golden West Grand in the seventies and his guns had globs of plastic wood on the grip and forend with his fingers permantently embedded in the dried plastic wood. When I asked him about it, he said he did it to always hold the gun in the same place.

One of the best doubles shooters I ever saw, and really fast.

Rick

3. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I read somewhere that Joe was in Europe beating everybody at Pigeon shoots.
    He started to lose and did not know why he was missing. They found that his
    chokes had been reamed out while in the gun racks. He went to his back up
    gun and won everything. Gary

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I had a current top Montana Trap Shooter tell me to never leave my gun in the public gun racks for this very reason. He was told that when he was a kid back at the Grand, by some of the Mondamtana home guards that took him to the Grand. Scott

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe Devers was considered one of the best all around shots by many.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.