1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Charnigo gunning for victories

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Joe Charnigo gunning for victories at Ohio State Trapshooting Tournament

D'Arcy Egan, The Plain Dealer

MARENGO, OHIO - The Ohio State Trapshooting Tournament will have 10,000 shotgunners competing through Sunday at the Cardinal Center here, including Westfield Twp. star Steve Charnigo, one of America's top young guns.

The Ohio State Trapshooting Tournament is a delight to both eye and ear this week at The Cardinal Center, a state of the art facility just north of Columbus that is breathing new life into the shotgun sport.

Competitors packed the 52 shooting stations earlier this week as the state shoot began, generating a constant crackling of shotguns.

Spectators watched clay targets shatter in the simmering summer heat, stopped for lunch at the vending area or cruised the mile-long strip of exhibits to check out the latest in shooting gear.

"It's our Super Bowl," said Charnigo, 23. "I point to this shoot every year, taking a week of vacation and investing a couple of thousand dollars in entry fees and expenses. The best shooters are here, and so are most of my friends."

Charnigo is a member of the 2010 All-Ohio State Trapshooting Team, gunning for his third straight OSTA doubles crown. Charnigo was the All Around Champion in 2007 and 2009, and High Over All Champion in 2007, beating some great veteran shooters.

"In 2002, after recovering from a shoulder injury I suffered riding a dirt bike, I really went after it," said Charnigo, who graduated from Buckeye High School in Medina County and is a salesman for Air Control Products Inc. in Broadview Heights. "I graduated from the 20-yard line to the 26-yard line in 2002, and moved back to the 27-yard line in 2003."

For a handicap shooter, that last yard is hard to get, and pits Charnigo against the best in the sport of trapshooting.

Charnigo will shoot 1,200 targets this week, taking advantage of every opportunity the Ohio State Shoot has to offer a shotgunner. He competes throughout the year in Ohio and surrounding states, and is a Wednesday night regular at Sandy Valley, a small trap club south of Canton.

"My biggest concern is the lack of young shooters," said Charnigo. "This has become an old man's sport. The younger guys just can't afford to buy an expensive shotgun, $50 flats of shotgun shells and pay tournament entry fees. I'm sponsored by Brasler shotguns, a gun I think has given me an edge in trapshooting, but they're my only sponsor."

Charnigo competes with a tightly-knit squad of five shooters. Squad members joining him on the All-Ohio team are Ron Smith of Dover, Kyle Hamilton of West Lafayette and Richard Granatir of Irondale.

"We look out for each other," said Charnigo. "We're always giving each other tips, like stop lifting your head, slow down when you're shooting or remind each other the wind's picking up."

Charnigo is known to be quick on the trigger, breaking targets seemingly a fraction of a second after they are tossed from the trap house. It is a reason, he says, why he excels at doubles, but at times will shoot too quickly and miss a target in singles action.

"I shot my first clay target when I was 6 years old," said Charnigo. "My dad held the shotgun and I would aim and pull the trigger. I began shooting for real in 1996, and shot my first registered clay target in 1998, when I was 11.

"Trapshooting is my year-round sport, although I still enjoy hunting. I love to get out for ducks and geese with my young black Labrador retriever, Nitro."

http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2010/06/joe_charnigo_gunning_for_victo.html

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Up for a Joe.

One of my favorite guys to watch shooting doubles.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

10,000 shooters WOW I'm impressed.

Don

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wonder how many of those 10,000 will travel North for the Michigan State Shoot next week??

5. monroesc

monroesc Member

10,000 entries is probably the more accurate term.
    But none the less Joe is an awesome shooter! Trapshooting can use all the positive footage it can get!

6. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

BigM-Perazzi,

I hope that the answer to your question is that ALL of the shooters will travel up to Mason to shoot some or all of the great Michigan State Shoot. Mason is one of the best places in the country to shoot. Maybe I can beat BigDon for a beer this year!!!!

Don Cogan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.