1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jo Pa's Statue Removed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jo Pa

I read a report this morning that workers at this very minute are taking down Paterno's statue. As a football fan, I share just a little feelings for the university and the fans. As a Christian and human being,I feel for those young boys who were victimized and their families who are coping with the aftermath. I hope they put the statue either in the Paterno's family backyard or stick it in a BIG warehouse some place and forget about it. I also hope that they remove his name from the library.

blade819

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

One news report I read said an airplane pulling a banner had been seen circling the area recently. Supposedly the banner read "Take the statue down or we will."

JoeP was an enabler and to have a statue honoring him was a huge slap in the face to the victims. He could have saved his face and become a real hero by seeing to it that the abuse was NOT swept under the rug. He didn't do that though. Recent reports states he knew even earlier than once suspected. He is/was garbage.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They had to take it down to make it easier for Gary to crap on it.

HM

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had to go to State College on business one day last week and drove by the stadium. All the media talk about removing the statue apparently renewed people's interest in it as there were people there taking pictures and flowers around it once again. Our local (Harrisburg, PA) ABC-TV affiliate had a veteran sports reporter there for most of a day late in the week interviewing visitors and the opinions were quite mixed. They were also surprising to me, as I had expected the people from this area to support leaving the statue in place and the out-of-towners would want it removed but the feelings were exactly the opposite.

I'm not a big PSU fan but I do find it hard to understand how a man who did so much good for the college, its students, the community and college football in general could have made such a poor decision. If not for the email exchanges recently made public, I would be thinking that something will eventually come out that might clear Joe. I mean, it's difficult to believe he even used email! I didn't read the report but I don't recall hearing that any of those emails were actually FROM him. Did we ever read anything that he actually wrote about Sandusky? All I can recall hearing is what others said about how he felt.

On the other hand, when an athletic program generates the millions of dollars that PSU's football program does/did, I suppose anything is possible. Money is a huge motivator. In the end, having lived my entire 65 years within two hours of Penn State, having watched so many of their football games on television and having seen and heard so much about Joe Paterno, I guess I'm still on the fence.

Ed

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Aren't the Taliban kind of doing the same thing in Pakistan and Afghanistan?

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

The taliban are taking down statues of football coaches? What are you talking about?

I live in Columbus OH - OSU - Go Bucks permeates everything. It's a sickness I don't understand - same thing could just as easily have happened here. Anything and everything for this football program.

rm

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

gw22_2008_0303176.jpg

It is refreshing when the decency and common sense of those Americans who can still discern right from wrong, good from evil, and mindless hero-worship from disgraceful cowardice rise up and force proper action despite the throngs of morally bankrupt, brainwashed idiots who resist.

Now let’s hope they also have the sense to do the right thing and voluntarily shut down the football program for a year or two, before the NCAA has to step in and do it for them.

-Gary

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I heard what I believe to be a fair penalty for Penn State. The amount of profit they realize from football has been made public and is something like $50 million per season, if I recall correctly. Regardless of the accuracy of that figure, it is a LOT of money. And it is the school that deserves punishment, not the current players or coaches, none of whom had anything to do with this scandal. Accordingly, if the NCAA is going to do anything, why not allow those players and coaches to play football but for one or more seasons, PSU must pay the NCAA a fine equal to their football profits for that period? The NCAA could then divide that money among other colleges or do whatever a committee of non-NCAA members decided.

The school needs to be punished but the individuals now in that program do not.

Ed

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

So one sick, twisted individual commits a horrendous crime - many times over. We all jump to condemn, not just him, but everyone associated with him through a common activity.

Are we talking about Sandusky or Holmes??

Take your reactions to this and think 'gun controller' and then ask the question again...

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I think it was the right move. Only if Joe was alive to see it! The reputation and legacy he tried to protect; is now gone. I feel through reports and info that hasn't been released, Joe would be behind bars if he was still alive.

I know Joe didn't commit the crime, but no one can say he didn't know about it. If you say he didn't know, please read the Freeh report. This isn't about gun vs. anti-gun, or Repub vs. Democrat. This is about knowing a man was molesting little kids in your place of business. Joe Pa pretty much owned that place. He was the end all, say all...but, he didn't do anything. He didn't put an end to it, he didn't say anything. I find that a disgrace.

I manage a company, and have been with the owner for 15 years. I think as much of him as my Dad, grandfathers, etc. He has been a father figure to me. But, if I was to walk into our office during off hours, and see him molesting a kid; I don't know how I could not do anything. If an employeee had seen it, and came to me as a manager and told me....how could I not at least confront him to get the story and questions answered. Would it ruin our business? Yes. Would it cost me my lively hood? Yes. Would it change my opinion of a man that I held in high regard? Yes! Even if it changed all these things, I would think I did the right thing.

I hear former players defending Joe Pa regarding him as being a father figure. Really? A guy that was so wrapped up in his own legacy, ego, and football; let kids be molested to protect this. He is a coward and a disgrace. I don't see how anyone could take up for him. Yes, Joe did do alot of positives in his life, but remember; the negatives in your life sometimes outweigh the positives.

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Another thing about this.........due to the fact of national publicity, coverage, etc., Jerry Sandusky will be in a country club type prison with segregation to protect him. I find that a crock! The only protection he needs is to be put in general population with the others! He will then be taught proper bathing by inmates like he did with those little kids. Jerry did say those kids didn't know proper bathing habits, so he lathered them up and showed them how. I wished ole' Bubba could show him the proper bathing habits in prison.

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

13. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Monday 9am we will find out what the NCAA decision is.

Doug

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

According to the report this afternoon, the President of the NCAA was given unilateral power to penalize and has ruled out the death penalty. Whatever it may be, it will pale in comparison to the massive lawsuits that Penn State will pay out to the victims. I also saw where one of their top recruits just backed out of his comittment to play next year. Wahtever the penalty tomorrow, it's not enough! Why am I so anti Penn State? A few years ago I got into an argument with my Mother in law (Florida State Alum me a Purdue Alum) about how the Big 10 was filled with decency, integrity and honesty. I used Penn State specifically as an example. This "discussion" created quite the stir in my Florida in-law family. I feel like the fool now. I would rather have a Dieon Sanders who attended about 6 classes in his almost 4 years than a Jerry Sandusky!

blade819

15. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Joe Paternos statue should NOT have been removed.

It should stay where erected in public and Jerry Sandusky should have to sit on Joe`s upraised finger for the rest of his twisted life.

Maybe then he would get a "feeling" for what he has done.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"So one sick, twisted individual commits a horrendous crime - many times over. We all jump to condemn, not just him, but everyone associated with him through a common activity."</i>

It depends on the culpability of those associated with him.

Those who had knowledge of this and swept it under the carpet deserve to be condemned and punished criminally and/or civilly. Do you agree with this?

The issue is whether those who profited from their actions, but had no knowledge of the crimes, should be punished.

The football program benefited from having this top flight coaching staff. The point being made is whether they would have had a less successful venture if this coaching staff had been dismissed many years ago, that this gave them an unfair advantage over other teams because of the criminal activity.

This has to be contrasted with whether such punishment is fair to those who had no knowledge of the crimes, and who in fact busted their butts to make the team a winner. I'm talking about the players.

On the other hand, this problem of putting winning ahead of all other considerations is all too prevalent in our society, to the point where it has become a sickness. Winning and money were behind this, and the NCAA may well have to set a harsh example so others will not continue with this mindset of hiding and enabling criminal activity. If pedophilia can be covered up, what about outright cheating?

I'm neutral on the issue. There are good points coming on this from all camps.

BTW, does anyone know who the top scholar was for the class of 2012 at Penn State?

Yeah, I thought not. But I bet the top player is known to some.

That's the opposite of what it should be, and what they are in business for.

Too many universities and colleges seem to be in the business of football, supported by academics, rather than being a school that also has a football team.

Had to highlight a passage in red because a couple of people below either cannot read or are childish immature idiot trolls who like to twist around what others say or ignore their statements.

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hmmm...

Children were molested for over a decade and it's now been proven that all the most powerful men at Penn State knew about it and conspired to conceal it.

...and Brian boldy says he is "neutral on the issue."

Yet another ballsy, well thought-out stance from the moral highground of the Northwest.

-Gary

18. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Neutral?

Functionally,aiding and abetting a child rapist is a CRIME. Period.
    Hopefully, the active participant (Sandusky) and the passive participants (administrators) will all be sent to a Federal prison amongst the general population.....

The statue? The family of the victims should all gather with sledge-hammers and pulverize it!

19. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Oh how the mighty have fallen!

Lets run this mindset out a little further. Will the NCAA and All campus now Fired nutty Professors, Cheaters, Drunks, Doppers?? If Deans are convicted of DWI,domestic violence,tax evasion will they be fired and all "kodo's and accolades" be removed??

Wrong is Wrong, is it not???

20. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Is's it a shame that JoePa will always be remembered for the few things that he did wrong instead of the many, many things that he did to help struggling athletes as well as his many donations to the college and it's academics. I was always a big Penn State fan and I hope that the football team can hold their heads up high at the beginning as well as the end of the season. Why punish the new coaches and players for something that happened over 10 years ago??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.