1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Heller goes 4/4! Adds North Hollywood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

A big hat tip to Jimmy Heller for taking the North Hollywood Winter Chain Handicap with a solid 96 on a cold and windy day. Added to his wins at Kingsburg, Kern County and Santa Maria, he has won every Winter Chain he has entered. To win, he had to beat the 95 that MR. Jan Torkelson posted earlier from the 24. Not bad for Jan, having stepped back from the 23.5 by winning the morning Founders Handicap Championship with a 94. Jan might have done better if he would have adjusted to his new yardage just a little quicker going 23/22/25/25 for the mid-yardage win.

Every seemed to have a good time inspite of the cold wind and most fell to the temptation of a "Bomber Burger" off the spatula chef Gary Bombalicki.

Eileen Williamson, our California ATA Delegate, was on hand to keep the books and gauge shooter response to the 100 per field format which seemed to be not only well received but allowed the shoot to finish 1.5 hours earlier than normal for the 13 squads for the day.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

He's Heller with a gun!!

He used to have a stock sticker that said that and it's true! :) WTG Jimmy!! Hap

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Congratulations to Jimmy. He is not only a great shooter but a fine gentleman as well.

In reference to the 100 per field format. Please post exactly how that was shot. Change are inevitable, must may be necessary. More information is welcomed. Thanks -- Jim Elliott

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Again I'm luvin your post Jim E. A pet peeve of mine is shoots that drag on and on. More shootin and socializing is the way I like it; less waiting preferred. Assuming it makes most people happy, I'm all for change too! What drives me nuts is guys who say "NO WAY" for no other reason than that's the way they've been doin it for 30 years.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Mississippi State Shoot was done this way too.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Unless everyone can shoot on the same fields, whether you shoot 100 on one field makes no difference. If a club has 6 fields, shooting 50 per field, that means that 1/3s of the shooters are getting different fields anyway. If you have 8 banks of 4 fields, only 1/8th of all the shooters are getting the same fields.

North Hollywood shot the same number of squads Sunday as it did one month ago but finished almost an hour and a half earlier when it rotated fields.

If the ATA wants to grow ATA shooting, 100 per field accomplishes two major things. 1. It cuts the waiting time and total time commitment at a shoot. 2. To grow the sport, we need more shooting facilities. However, they are expensive and difficult to construct. Consequently, we need to make more efficient use of the facilities we have. If the number of ATA shooters actually doubled, many shoots couldn't finish by dark rotating fields.

This was my first time shooting 100 per field and the thing that surprised me was that the squad stayed in rhythm and I could focus better on my shooting without having to trudge off to the next field and wait around for that squad to clear.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

At the state shoot in Kingsburg in 03,I watched Jimmy break (smoke) 100 off the trap winning the shoot-off. He's a heller of a shot. Had some eye problems solved and went back to his winning ways of old really quick. Hap

8. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

John - Thanks for your explanation. Very interesting. I too believe our current formats are just too slow. - Jim

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, to weigh in on the 100 per field. I was one of the planners of the event and was not sure if I would like it [old and traditional], but it worked so well on Saturday, that we were ready for lunch at 10:30 AM. Now we did some things that were mentioned: 1. start time for first two squads = 8:30 AM PROMPT!
    2. a table right behind the field for shells and water... walk a few yards re-load and get out there - saved about 10 minutes per change over. 3. A separate loader went down in the house EVERY THREE rounds and stayed there until round 4 was finished... when he left, the house was laoded and ready to go.

On Saturday with 10 squads going to the line we finished WITH shoot offs by 1:00 PM. [all guns put away]-- We broke out the liquid refreshments and that took another hour. We did not hear ONE complaint about the format. In fact, we were praised for the effeciency of the shoot... in writing [we also did a survey]. This may be the wave of the future! Fred

10. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

How many people get to cook and watch Jimmy Heller win a shoot at the same time. Boy, what a great combination!!!

Great shooting Jimmy.

Gary the Bomber

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Back to the original post, Jimmy Heller deserves all of the alcolades. He is a great shooter and a nice gentleman. Very considerate of our squading. It is good to have a champion like the Yankees or the Bruins of the 60' - 70's - it simply raises the bar for the rest of us. We can learn so much from watching him shoot. Fred

12. southpark

southpark TS Member

Great post JBrooks.

People that are not retired probably appreciate more shooting and less thumb twiddling.

What I love about watching Jimmy shoot is that he stands so straight and from the 27 it looks like the gun barely moves to the target before it breaks.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For an "ole_f#$t" he ain't to bad!LOL

Congrats to you Jimmy :-}

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I thought zardozforty was buried! Did you forget_yourself??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.