1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Heller defends title in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LV Trapshooting Park, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV Trapshooting Park

LV Trapshooting Park TS Member

Jimmy Heller (CA) defeated Brent Epperson (UT)in a one round shoot-off after the pair tied for the Overall Championship at the Las Vegas Gun Club's "2nd Las Vegas 500", April 4, 5 & 6. Each totalled 577X600 in events comprising of 100 16yd, 200 Dbls & 300 Handicap. Jimmy, the 2007 Las Vegas 500 winner, will receive a custom engraved $20 Gold Coin Buckle for his effort, featuring the St. Gaudins coin. Brent settled for the 27 yd buckle, which features the Liberty $20 gold piece. Jerry Harms (WA) won the other yardage buckle for the 19 - 26.5 yd group, with a 565.

Steve Carmichael

Las Vegas Gun Club

2. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Jimmy is not only a great shooter, but a fine gentlemen as well. Those that shoot flyers will attest to both. Great shooting Jimmy. - Jim

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steve, how did the "back to the 60's" three-hole, 50 yd target event turn out?

Neil

4. LV Trapshooting Park

Neil- that hasn't happened yet. That will be the kick-off event for our 37th Annual Fall Tournament, on Tuesday, September 16th. The "Retro Handicap, circa 1969-1978", will feature target settings, purses, options, trophies and entry fee ($12.50/100) of that 10 year period. This event is sponsored by White Flyer Targets and we'll have a BBQ and party on the patio at the conclusion of the event. Should be a lot of fun, and the old timers and newer fellas can compare notes.

Steve C

5. Neil Winston

It sounds like a good time. Have fun with it, Steve!

Neil

6. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

I must have missed something but I thought Neil Winston was going to Las Vegas to see why the targets were so short, as reported by Steve Carmichael, when set by Winston's speed recommendations. Did this happen and if so, what was the resolution on this?

7. Neil Winston

I went to Vegas to the Shot Show but the wind blew all the time, so I didn't get to use the gun I had with me. I'll send the gun - which is fresh back from another loan, to Steve if he wants it. Today - or if he's in San Antonio he can pick it up.

I have little doubt that the guns will read the same, and the results Steve reported will be the same whatever gun he uses.

My assumption is that Steve's choice of ten feet as his target height is what leads to his short targets. Oh, I know someone here recently posted an opinion that high target fly farther, but they don't.

[​IMG]

When he sets a 9 foot target, and if the landing area is the same height as the trap, I'm confident that he will get about the distance he expects. If, on the other hand, he sets an 8-foot target the birds will be a little longer than anticipated.

All of which is an argument in favor of radar-set targets. If you use a stake the speed of the birds is very dependent on the height you set them, as the graph shows. A radar gun is way less sensitive to target height and a chronograph not at all.

Neil

8. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

CONGRATULATIONS...!!!!!!

Now -- you guys in Las Vegas know how to offer trophys. I bet that 99% of our shooters would pay extra, and forgo the chinzy "cash" payouts to get trophys like this. I have ENOUGH 4" black wood bases with little plastic shooter dudes on them. Plaques go out in the trash can after 6 months...

I WANT A COIN BELT BUCKLE......

"Las Vegas 500 winner, will receive a custom engraved $20 Gold Coin Buckle for his effort, featuring the St. Gaudins coin. Brent settled for the 27 yd buckle, which features the Liberty $20 gold piece. "

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Neil,

Actually, that's a pretty good explanation many might not have thought about...for why targets can "feel" faster or slower from day to day - even though they're set to the stake both times. There's more than one path/trajectory that leads to the stake...as our Army cannon shooters will attest.

10. The Loud One

The Loud One TS Member

Neil,

What was the speed used in your test?

11. Neil Winston

TLO, from the looks of it I'd say it was done with a target speed of about 65 feet per second as measured by a chronograph on a tripod tilted at about the angle of the trap, actually a bit higher at the start, a bit lower at the end. Misalignment can be as much as eight degrees before the chronograph begins to read one percent low.

Neil

12. LV Trapshooting Park

As soon as we have another calm day, I will check the speed vs distance again for 9', 91/2' and 10' targets, and post the results here. Neil may be right on this, as Western shooters tend to like their targets on the higher side of the elevation limits.

Steve C
    LV Gun Club

13. The Loud One

The Loud One TS Member

Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a chart that is done at the recommemend 67 fps (42mph) speed that the rule book states. I shoot mostly in the west except for the grand, and when I see a radar gun used, the targets are always short of the stake. The relationship to target height could be the problem. Thanks again for all the great info you share here on ts.com.

ATA #0111981

14. LV Trapshooting Park

15. LV Trapshooting Park

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.