1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Heller -- 50% Shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It sure would've been nice if the poster that began this thread would have left it intact!! The statement was made that Jimmy Heller to date had won 50% of the Ca. Winter Chain handicaps! Hope this somewhat clears it up? (edited)
    Besides being a terrific shot, he' one of the good guys too! After he got his vision problems solved, he's been on a shooting rage ever since. I watched him smoke 100 straight from the max in a shoot-off at the Ca. state shoot in 03 to win the trophy. TJ, congrats to your dad from me. Hap

2. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Jimmy Heller is one of the 'class acts' in this sport.

I have never heard him speak badly of any shooter. He was one of the first people that I wanted to copy (his style) when I first started shooting trap.

At the 100th Grand, Jimmy even took the time to tell my wife some information that He thought would help me as he watched me from the sidewalk behind the trap.

One hell-of-a-great-shooter and a gentleman.

Philip Santos Capt. Ret. Team Budweiser

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've shot with him many times, and he is a very unassuming man. But, he will take your money. A fine shooter.

4. guncase

guncase TS Member

I saw him shoot at Las Vegas in 1997 when I was there. Really enjoyed watching him as he shot on the traps in front of my vending spot. I am just glad he lives in California,, :>) Paul

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

His reputation to me was always as a great doubles shooter, but when you look at the list of lifetime 27 yard 100 straights he's very high up there.

Awesome shooting.

6. edbon9

edbon9 Member

he's 100% in the ones he's entered. his gun mount is unique,
    a very smooth shooter. he won both handicaps he entered at
    santa maria :)

7. steve smith

steve smith TS Member

Jim is a good friend and i love that he is shooting so well.He's making it a little hard for some of us. Keep it up. Steve smith

8. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Oh yeah and you make it really easy on us eh? Steve...you both are great shooters.....and great people.... Kym

9. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Not only is Jimmy a great trap shooter and a fine gentlemen, rumor has it that
    he can hit a flyer or two once in a while. I wish he would shoot more flyers and leave us poor soles to our pleasures. Congratulations Jimmy. - Jim Elliott

10. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Yeah, I saw him shoot flyers...he and his son...class act the Heller family.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Well, you can add to the list. He just shot a 169 for 200 targets at the Quail Unlimited Sporting Clays Championship in Corona, California. He won his class easily, but if he had been in Master Class, he would have finished in 8th place. Sporting clays shooters here know how amazing that is.
    I saw him shooting international skeet at Triple B in California in January. Think he's getting ready for the World All-Around Shotgun Championship in Dallas, Texas in two weeks. Count on it!

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Not only that, he is usually the first one to congratulate you when you win!

13. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

There are only 3 shooters that have won all 5 crowns at the California State Shoot, and Jimmy's one of them. He's won Singles Champion (2003), Handicap Champion (1989), Doubles Champion (1985), High All Around (1989), and High Over All (1981, 1991, 1997).

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Who are the other two?

15. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

Ron Alcoriza and Sean Hawley.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ray, isn't it the handicap that Dan B. lacks of having one of those? Hap

17. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

Dan has won more state titles than anyone... 40. Singles 5 times, Doubles 7 times, HAA 12 times, HOA 16 times. The shooter closest to his 40 state titles is Sean Hawley with 18. But Dan has never taken Handicap Champion. I wonder how many times he's been in shoot-offs for it. 2 that I know of but it's probably more.

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I'm still upset with myself. Jimmy won the 2003 singles with a lousy 74. But I could only break 49. I wish he would stick to flyers. But all said he is a fine gentlemen and if you have to loose it is a pleasure to loose to someone with his integrity. - Jim

19. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I know of a guy who beat Dan Bonillas in a shoot off at the state shoot in '75. I believe the guy's name is Blackmum or something like that. That guy beat Bonillas from the 20 yard line. Wonder what happened that year...????

20. usashootingdad

usashootingdad TS Member

Not only is Jimmy a great shot, a gentleman, a Champion and an All-American, he is a great coach! I turned my son, Jeff Holguin, over to him as a 15 year old junior shooter for coaching in all three disciplines. In 1995 Jeff was the Ca. St. Jr. Singles Champion and invited to attend the Junior Olympic camp in Colorado Springs. By 1997 he shot off for the state doubles championship which he lost in shoot-off to Dan Bonillas. That year he also made the Mens National Bunker Trap Team (it was the first Nationals he attended). He has been on the National Bunker Team since 1997 and now specializes in Double Trap on the Army's Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning, Georgia.

Jimmy set the foundation for Jeff's success in winning the State Doubles Championship in 2004 and again in 2007. Jimmy was instrumental in launching Jeff on his way to the US Olympic Team for Double Trap this year where he will be traveling to Beijing in August.

We would like to thank Jimmy for all he has done to help Jeff realize his Olympic dreams! We give him a lot of credit for pointing Jeff in the right direction. Thanks again Jimmy!

Chris and Julie Holguin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jimmy heller doubles

jimmy heller trap shooter