1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Pappas - Congrats

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Herbert, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert

Herbert TS Member

Jim - Nice shooting in winning your class Monday. Always nice to see a familiar name on the winners list! My wife and I both enjoyed meeting & talking with you last week in the 17th St. Bar area. Again, Congrats!.
    Harold & Pat Loper

2. JRW

JRW Member

Herbert; when I met Jim in AZ. at spring grand 2007, it was also my pleasure to talk to him. Jim again congrats on the fine shooting. Jerry in MI.

3. richard konecky

richard konecky TS Member

Must be the hulls!!! Great job and congratulations. See you at Martinez. Richard

4. Herbert

Herbert TS Member

Jerry - Meeting other shooters is the best part of shooting for me anymore. See you a few weeks......H.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Perhaps you guys can help me. I am really interested in how someone who is a 27 yard HC and averaged 95.18 in 2005 and 96.31 in 2006 was shooting in C class?

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We would all like to know. Print the name. - Jim

7. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I ended the '05 target year and began the 2006 target year shooting pretty good, 97s and 98s. By the end of the year I was struggling shooting 94s and 95s. My slide continued after the Grand '06 and I have shot a lot of 90s, 91 and 92s all this year. I made the 27 yard line at the Spring Grand and continue to shoot mid 80s from the 27. I would not have made the shoot off last night if I hadn't shot my first 100 straight ever in competition yesterday in the 2nd hundred. Hopefully I'll figure out how to be more consistent in singles and how to shoot decent scores from the 27. Other than this info you would have to ask classification.

I have to go now because I'm shooting off for C Class doubles championship. I shot my best doubles score ever today, 95. My average for the year is around 84.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Jim,

I just looked up Jim Pappas' history on the ATA Shooter's info site in that I wondered how a shooter with 4 years experience, per his other thread, could still be shooting C class yet have the talent to break 100 straight.

Then I see that his 2006 average would have put him in AA and yet somehow he is put in C only being 3.5 targets short of B class based on the 1350 targets recorded in 2007. This is what makes for questions about the Classification system.

9. phudson

phudson TS Member

Congratulations Jim,

Hey I've shot and fished with this guy and he's way to proud to sandbag. Besides he isn't that good. Kay must have finally got through to him!!

Good job
    Pete

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Just food for thought. Have any of you ever went to a new gun, only to find that after 1000 hardheaded attempts to do good with it, and find you couldn't shoot it for squat. Well I remember a 4E Ithaca I owned once. I have had vision problems that caused me to shoot below my ability. At both times I didn't readily identify the real problem. I attributed my performance to just being in a slump. On both occasions I came to realize the problem, acted accordingly. Low and behold my scores came up. Not saying this is the case here, but there are many reasons for fluctuation in class other than sandbagging. By the way Congratulations on the Win Mr.Pappas great shooting. J.Woolsey

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Congrats Jim. I know how it feels to shoot your best after shooting like crap leading up to it. Sometimes the pressure is just right.

For those who don't know Jim...he is a straight up great guy. He can shoot on my squad any day...only I can't see the targets from 27 yards, let alone hit them.

JON

12. bhandzus

bhandzus Member

Congrats Jim,

Be proud of winning at the Grand. period.

I know and respect Jim, he worked hard and had a good day, I wish him continued success at this Grand!

Bob Handzus

13. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Thank you all for the kind words and support. Everyone that knows me, knows I want to be the best I can be every shot. Most of the time I'm my worst enemy. I have worked hard to shoot the best I can every time I take the line, sometimes the scores aren't the best. Last year when my average was AA, I knew I couldn't compete with the shooters in my class, having never broken 100 straight in competition before. None the less that was my class based on my average, so I didn't whine or moan I just went out and shot the best I could. Of course I never won anything or even made it to a shoot off. That was fine with me, that's how things are structured. The current system works both ways; it classifies some in higher classes whose average for the year put them there even though they may not be competitive at a shoot like the Grand and it sometimes put shooters that have the ability to shoot better than their current average in classes where they can win, if they shoot well. I'm sure I'm not the only one this applies to since we see class B, C, and D shooters shoot scores above the class averages every day at the Grand and other main shoots.

I'm still having a blast and I love shooting and all the good friends I have made as a result of it. Good shooting to all! Best regards, Jim

14. TC

TC TS Member

Congratulations to you Jim. Tony

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

16. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Hi Harold and Pat! It was great meeting you. I hope to see you again.

Hey Jerry - Are you here yet?

Richard - I am shooting those green hulls, only Remington loaded these!

Pete - Where have you been? Are you coming south soon? I hope so.

Chief - Jon are you at the Grand? If not I'll see you around Calif.

Bob - I hear your days of leisure have come to a temporary end! I hope all is well. Email me and let me know what's going on.

Mike - keep the cooler full and we'll have a couple when I get back. Blake is doing real well...oh you meant trapshooting, I thought you were talking about Booty shooting!

Recurvy - Are you camped in the electric only area? If so what number? I would like to meet you and say hi. I'm in 2075. Please stop by.

17. JRW

JRW Member

Claycruncher; I was asked not to go to Sparta. So not wanting to come home to find locks changed I skipped the Grand this year. Jerry

18. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Congratulations, Jim! Good Shooting!

I've got to say that whenever I go out to the Martinez Gun Club on the weekend, and I don't see you out there, I'm a little disappointed.

I'll be out there this weekend for our club shoot and although you won't be there, you can be sure we'l all be hoping to see your name in the winner's column there at the Grand.

We've got a lot of tomatoes coming on now, I'll bring you and your family a nice selection when you get back home.

Shoot well,

Pat and Rosemary McKean

19. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Jim:

When I saw your name posted on the winners list at the ATA site, I let out a big YeeHaa!!! Another Martinez Gun Club member with a big win!!! Although I am an ex-patriot(?), I still have a soft spot for all MGC members and the great times I had at the club. I miss the club shoots (and the poker games), anyway, Jim keep up the good work and keep punchin" them. Say hello to Dave Kelly for me, if you see him. He crunched them at the Grand Pacific and I see he is doing the same at the Grand American.

KEEP SMASHIN'EM, ONE AT A TIME!!!!!

Gene

20. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Hi Pat, Shoot well at the club shoot. I expect to see a new buckle on your belt when I get back! I know you can do it. We love tomatoes, so a bag will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Gene, It's good to hear from you again. I miss your smiling face around MGC. Things have turned around the last couple years thanks to great leadership from many people, especially our president and board. I'm still trying to get to Prescott and will look you up when I finally get something planned. Take care and come visit. I know everyone would like to see you again. I'll give Dave your best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.