1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Nelson of Oxford, PA loses battle with cancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bud168, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bud168

bud168 Member

My dad Jim Nelson of Oxford, PA lost his battle with cancer on October 30 2009, he had been battling mesothelioma for almost a year, he was 54. It was a very rough year on him, chemo and other treatments. He went very peacefully here at home Friday morning.

Dad was very active in a lot of things throughout his life; he had been an avid hunter and fisherman for most of his life. He shot high power silhouette for many years in the late 70’s early 80’s. He loved old hot rods, collected Marklin Trains since he was a kid and was very much into old antiques. He loved getting up on Saturday mornings and going to the flea market or yard sales during the year. He was a very hard worker, probably worked too much; he was a steelworker for 35 years.

A lot of you knew my dad from Trapshooting; he started shooting trap about 92 or 93 at Oxford Gun Club in PA. Dad was one of them people that seemed to everyone where he went, every time we went to a shoot no matter where it was he knew a few people. Dad was good shoot maybe even a better teacher. He was also an excellent gunsmith. Dad had registered 84275 targets overall in his lifetime, and won many trophies.

I looked up to him all my life; he was my best friend and my buddy. I will miss so much. I learned a lot from him throughout my life. He was a very kind man who would have done anything for anyone. Him and my mother were married for 33 years, he also had a daughter.

Here is the obituary:
    http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=272738&fh_id=10819&s_id=7E2F272776929B3C046A6B055E084EDF

Kurt Nelson

2. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Hey Kurt,

I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't know your dad by name, but I am sure I saw him around. I hope you find comfort in the love and memories you shared with your dad. Hugs and prayers to you and your family from us here in Virginia.

Luvn

3. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Kurt, very sorry for your loss. Your dad will be missed here at Oxford. Please read the thoughts on the posting I put on your dad passing. We also hope to see you at Oxford again. Ray and I also posted it at the gun club today for the Pen-Mar shoot and there were many shooters sorry to hear the news. The posting on Trapshooters is "another trapshooter leaves us"

4. bud168

bud168 Member

Thanks Rich for doing that.. I will start shooting again, it was hard to shoot this year since dad couldnt be part of it.. Im not going to stop doing something I enjoy and he wouldn't want me to stop.. You guys will see me soon :)

- Kurt

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Kurt...

I'm truly sorry for your loss!

I will miss Jim. We had some good times shooting together.

Best regards,

Curt

6. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Kurt, I didn't know your dad, but I do know what it is like to lose a dad to cancer. I am so sorry. May your memories and love that you shared comfort you during this difficult time. Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.