1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Moody rules at Oklahoma State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pride Engineer, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

For those of you that don't know Jim Moody, he's an Oklahoma Veteran shooter that has been the head of target setting at Sparta during the Grand American for several years. He performs the same duties at Oklahoma during their state shoot in addition to being a part time trap repairman during the shoot.

I arrived at the shoot this year without a squad to shoot with. I happened to run into Jim the day before the shoot and as always, he stopped to talk and say hi to me. During our conversation, I asked Jim if he knew of an open spot on a long yardage squad. Jim immediately said well Mark, there's a post on my squad. I immediately accepted and boy am I glad I did. First of all, I must say Jim and his squad mates were some of the best I have ever shot with. When it was our turn to shoot, they were ready, on time, polite to the scorers and very friendly to me, the new comer. They also played the game the way it should be played, they watched their squad mates targets and refused to accept inaccurately called dead targets.

But the story today isn't about the squad, it's about Jim Moody. Jim had a shoot I think most of us dream about. On Saturday he ran the 200 singles championship targets, one of two residents to do so. Jim prevailed in the shoot offs to win his first home state singles championship. Jim accepted my congratulations with a nice smile and a "thank you". Sunday morning Jim was again at the club setting targets and adjusting the machines before 7:00 am. Doubles started at 9:00 and as he had done on Saturday in the singles, he shot the doubles perfectly, recording one of three home state 100's. Next was the handicap championship. Jim of course first had to set all the traps and get ready to shoot. The caps started poorly for Jim, that is if missing the second target out is poor. I remember thinking, gosh, there goes his chance at the 400!! Well Jim ran the remainder of the trap as well as the next one. We moved to the second trap to complete our round but low and behold, the trap was down. Well, after forty-five minutes of replacing parts and working on the trap with others, Jim annouced we had to finish the hundred on the practice trap.

On the practice trap, Jim calmly wiped the grease from his hands and simply ran out the final fifty to record one of two in state 99's. Now I bet you're thinking wouldn't it be great if the guy could win both shootoffs and take home all three championships. Well, sometimes good things do happen to good people and that's exactly what Jim did. He was perfect in two rounds of twenty in the doubles to win by one and in the caps, he went 25,23,25 to also win by one. Jim took home all three championships, the HAA, and just missed the HOA.

I must say, boy am I lucky I had the chance to be on the squad when this shooter performed near perfectly, but even more importantly I had the chance to shoot with Jim and his three friends for which I am truly grateful. For one last time, I want to say congratulations Jim, one heck of a day and a day well deserved.

Mark Zauhar

2. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

For those of you that don't know Jim Moody, he's an Oklahoma Veteran shooter that has been the head of target setting at Sparta during the Grand American for several years. He performs the same duties at Oklahoma during their state shoot in addition to being a part time trap repairman during the shoot.

I arrived at the shoot this year without a squad to shoot with. I happened to run into Jim the day before the shoot and as always, he stopped to talk and say hi to me. During our conversation, I asked Jim if he knew of an open spot on a long yardage squad. Jim immediately said well Mark, there's a post on my squad. I immediately accepted and boy am I glad I did. First of all, I must say Jim and his squad mates were some of the best I have ever shot with. When it was our turn to shoot, they were ready, on time, polite to the scorers and very friendly to me, the new comer. They also played the game the way it should be played, they watched their squad mates targets and refused to accept inaccurately called dead targets.

But the story today isn't about the squad, it's about Jim Moody. Jim had a shoot I think most of us dream about. On Saturday he ran the 200 singles championship targets, one of two residents to do so. Jim prevailed in the shoot offs to win his first home state singles championship. Jim accepted my congratulations with a nice smile and a "thank you". Sunday morning Jim was again at the club setting targets and adjusting the machines before 7:00 am. Doubles started at 9:00 and as he had done on Saturday in the singles, he shot the doubles perfectly, recording one of three home state 100's. Next was the handicap championship. Jim of course first had to set all the traps and get ready to shoot. The caps started poorly for Jim, that is if missing the second target out is poor. I remember thinking, gosh, there goes his chance at the 400!! Well Jim ran the remainder of the trap as well as the next one. We moved to the second trap to complete our round but low and behold, the trap was down. Well, after forty-five minutes of replacing parts and working on the trap with others, Jim annouced we had to finish the hundred on the practice trap.

On the practice trap, Jim calmly wiped the grease from his hands and simply ran out the final fifty to record one of two in state 99's. Now I bet you're thinking wouldn't it be great if the guy could win both shootoffs and take home all three championships. Well, sometimes good things do happen to good people and that's exactly what Jim did. He was perfect in two rounds of twenty in the doubles to win by one and in the caps, he went 25,23,25 to also win by one. Jim took home all three championships, the HAA, and just missed the HOA.

I must say, boy am I lucky I had the chance to be on the squad when this shooter performed near perfectly, but even more importantly I had the chance to shoot with Jim and his three friends for which I am truly grateful. For one last time, I want to say congratulations Jim, one heck of a day and a day well deserved.

Mark Zauhar

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Mark, it appears after this great article about a "fellow" shooter and his shooting ability you shot with a "GREAT" squad. Your praise of them reflect that you "SIR" are a Top notch trapshooter as Well. It is a wonderful feeling to meet & also shoot with great people. I hope to some day meet you and shake the hand of a Man that feels the way you do. You ARE an Asset to the Trapshooting Family.It is not all about the scores someone shoots but, the attitude & conduct at a Shoot that reflect their person Regards Joe Whitehurst President New mexico Trapshooting Assocation joe90t

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Great story Mark. Thank you and congratulations to Jim.

5. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

A great story, Mark !!!

What a state shoot for Jim!!! A huge congratulations to Deadeye Moody...and what fun it must have been to be a part of his squad.

6. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Congrates Jim that's sone fine shooting. Looking forward to seeing you at the Kansas state shoot this week. Rich

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He is obviously a multi tasker......

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

That is amazing....

Rick in MT

9. Shawn

Shawn Member

Mr Moody,

That is some fine shooting.

Congratulations

Shawn

10. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Mark,

Great and interesting story on Jim's fine shooting and your personal insight on what is great about this sport. I always enjoy reading what you find time to write about as you travel around the country shooting, and letting us live a little through you words. It's always nice to run into you at the Southwestern Grand, and although I don't get a chance to speak with you long during the events, I do like following your words as you always have great things to say about our great sport.

Congratulations to Jim, on his fine (super) shooting, as well as doing that and all of the other work that goes along with the "behind the scenes" stuff, that no one ever thinks about, and to do both so well, speaks worlds of your talent. I saw Jim at the SWG, and now I wish I would have taken a moment and introduced myself to him.

Thanks again for your little human interest story on Jim, and Mark, I look forward to more of your writings in the near future.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

11. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Jim and Mark are always "CLASS ACTS". Congratulations and thanks to both......merlyn

13. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

CONGRATULATIONS, JIM!!!!

14. bas

bas Member

Wow! What a great story and thanks, Mark for sharing it with those who weren't at the OK State Shoot. And, a really FUN shoot also, I might add.

Congratulations to Mr. Moody!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.