1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Borum-Kidney transplant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joconnor, Jul 29, 2013.

1. joconnor

joconnor Member

Jim is scheduled for a kidney transplant within a year. To help with the huge cost of this, Princess and I are selling raffle tickets. The drawing is for a Smith & Wesson Model M&P-10 in a 308 caliber. Tickets are $10.00 each or 3 for $25.00. We will have the tickets with us at the Grand. We are in RV space 339. You can PM me and I will get you my cell phone number. Jim has been trapshooting many years and really needs our help. Thanks in advance for your help. Jerry O'Connor

2. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I thought the government picked up the bill for kidney transplants?

3. joconnor

joconnor Member

No truth to that rumor. At least, not in this case.

4. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Worthwhile cause guys. I already bought a $100 worth. Jimmy and Lina are great folks and have done alot for trapshooting and shooters over the years. Thanks for posting Jerry.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why he would not be covered, but I was forced on to Medicare when my kidneys failed. Transplant costs are borne by Medicare, except for incidentals. I am not familiar with his situation, but it may warrant some further investigation. Does he have a living donor? For his sake, I hope so, otherwise it can be a 9-10 year wait, depending on the hospital. Please understand, I am not trying to cause trouble, just curiosity from a fellow kidney patient. Wishing him the best treatment possible.

Mike

6. joconnor

joconnor Member

Trappermike,
    Jim will get some assistance for his VA benefits and medicare. He has been told that he will need about $20,000,00 of out of pocket expenses not counting travel and lodging for him and his wife. His VA benefits will pickup the anti-rejection drug after a certain lenght of time, but these will be about $3300.00 per month in the beginning. We are not trying to profit from this but just cover his early expenses. We only printed 2000 tickets and will print no more. If they are all sold as individual tickets this will raise $20,000.00. Hope those that can help will.

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Jerry, Carolyn and I are in for $200 worth . How do I get the funds to you??

Ken Rucker

8. joconnor

joconnor Member

Ruck, will you be at the Grand

9. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I bought tickets at The Zone shoot in Amarillo and talked to Jimmy for a little while. Jimmy Borum is not only a great person & shooter but very Knowledgeable about ATA rules and of course MANY other things.I can tell you every bit helps a GOOD Man and his VERY understanding Wife, Lina. Joe Whitehurst joe90t

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

No, Jerry, I won't.

Ken

11. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Put me down for 12 tickets @ $100. Need to know where to send.

Denny in Missouri

12. CharlieAMA

Thanks everyone for responding. This is a worthwhile cause.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jerry, will catch up with you at the grand next week.

14. CharlieAMA

Thanks for the response everyone. Let's keep this up. Charlie Henderson

15. Avatar

Put me down for 9 @ 75. But, I won't be at the Grand, so please give me an address for mailing the check. I don't know Jim, but my prayers will be with him in getting through this ordeal successfully.

Most/all? other western industrialized nations would pick up the cost of something like this without bankrupting the family. That's one reason I am firmly in support of socialized health care...

16. joconnor

joconnor Member

Princess and I will be leaving for the Grand on Aug 2nd. Those of you who have been so kind to purchase tickets and are mailing me a check, please don't think I haven't entered you in the drawing. I will mail you your tickets when we get home. Thanks so much for everyone's help. Anyone who would like to contact me at the Grand, just send me a PM and I will get you my contact information. Again, thanks to this great trapshooting family. Jerry O'Connor

17. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Jerry, I am in for 12 tickets ($100) as well. I will PM you for an address to send the money to. I will not be at the Grand, but good luck to you and Trish (and all of the other Texas Trapshooters that are making the trip north). Mike* (MH*)

18. joconnor

joconnor Member

Thanks for your help. Anyone else?

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am wondering if you can make this event tax-empted, like 5XX? Otherwise, the IRS may go after their share, diluting the benefits to Mr. Borum. I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN. Chichay

20. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters