1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jerry Reed, rest in peace...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

It is with great sadness and shock I find out that Jerry Reed just passed away.

One hell of a guitar picker and he was my idol when I was a kid.

Godspeed & tell Chet we said Hi...

2. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Another good one is gone. GOD BLISS

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My favorite Jerry Reed character - Bama McCall.

4. lgunluvr

lgunluvr Member

What a great time! Watching Jerry made you laugh, and forget about life for a while. We'll miss ya Jerry!

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Buzz,

Wow, you mentioned Chet too! For a guitar player since 1952, this is a sad day. May they both rest in peace 'till we see them again at that "Great Guitar Session In The Sky"!

milt

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just went back and watched some YouTube videos of him and Chet. Dang, what a picker, to just stand there and be so "aw shucks" about it.

I know he was in failing health, so maybe this is best for him...but still...very hard to accept. There's a younger generation of hot N'vill pickers out there, but most of them you can't stand to be in the same room with...not Jerry though. A real class act...and watching those two, it is something to never be repeated. There will never be any more that come from what they came from.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

loved to listen to him talk or sing or pick....him, Jeff Healy and Stevie Ray Vaughn can do some pickin' now.....RIP

8. Juno

Juno TS Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHZJej98_T0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHZJej98_T0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bzewk-FMgS0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bzewk-FMgS0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Never would had figured he would use a middle name for his last name.

Jerry Reed Hubbard (March 20, 1937 – September 1, 2008), known professionally as Jerry Reed, was an American country music singer, country guitarist, session musician, songwriter, and actor who appeared in over a dozen films. As a singer, he may be best known for When You're Hot, You're Hot, for which he received the Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance in 1972 and East Bound and Down, the theme song to the first Smokey and the Bandit movie in which he portrayed the "Snowman", Cletus Snow.

Rest in Peace

Foggy

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I thought he did a good job in the movie Bat21 with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover. Reed played a Vietnam war helicopter unit commander guiding back to safety a downed airman (Hackman). That southern drawl on the com really made the part for him.

A couple years ago he played our local Fall festival. Although his health was fading he put on a good show to a large appreciative audience, and signed autographs for all who stayed after. A real pro.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We are losing all the ole timers and country music is turning to crap. I miss it and intend to move to Kentucky or Tennessee to live in the mountains so I can play the old classic country and bluegrass and sit on the porch picking my banjo. There are places in that part of the country where a handshake is a deal, they dont exist in the city anymore.

12. Coogan1

Coogan1 TS Member

WOW, this is a downer. Who's gonna fill thier shoes?

Chris Coogan

13. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

This is huge loss to us all. I know many of my fellow Nashville guitar player have all been influenced by Jerry's playing for years. He will be missed as he was a great guy...

KK

14. Juno

Juno TS Member

cubancigar are you serious? Hey, I'll meet you there good buddy. You're a picken and I'm a grinnin.

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

CUBANCIGAR2000, There is a place down here near the Ga, Fl line on the Suwanee River where they have a bit CW thing every year and it last about a week long. Besides the different groups that are there almost every fire has a number of picking and grinners. Several of my kids try to go every year. There is a lot of the blue grass groups. I have a cousin that plays a base tub and it will amaze you with the sounds he can produce with that thing. The first time I heard it I couldn't believe all that sound was coming from a washtub with a board and string. Jackie B.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

shooting jack, thx buddy. I may just see ya there one of these days

juno - damned right I am serious. I aint very good but I pick ( and I grin)got a collection of banjos thats worth as much as my guns ( don't tell my wife) I am just an ole hillbilly at heart, love the people and the music.

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

When you hot you hot when you not....you're............ dead

will miss him!

Well me and Homer Jones and Big John Talley
    Had a big crap game goin' back in the alley
    And I kept rollin' them sevens , winnin' all them pots
    My luck was so good I could do no wrong
    I jest kept on rollin' and controllin' them bones
    And finally they jest threw up their hands and said
    "When you hot, you hot"
    I said "Yeah?"

When you're hot, you're hot
    And when you're not, you're not
    Put all the money in and let's roll 'em again
    (La la la la la la la) (La la la la la)
    (La la la la la la la, when you're hot, you're hot)

Well, now every time I rolled them dice I'd win
    And I was just gettin' ready to roll 'em again
    When I heard somethin' behind me
    I turned around and there was a big old cop
    He said "Hello, boys" and then he gave us a grin 'n' said
    "Look like I'm gonna hafta haul you all in
    And keep all that money for evidence"
    I said, "Well, son when you hot, you hot"
    He said "Yeah"

You can 'splain it all down at City Hall
    I say, yeah, when you're hot, you're hot
    You're hot
    (La la la la la la la) (La la la la la)
    (La la la la la la la, when you're hot, you're hot)

Well, when he took us inta court I couldn't believe my eyes
    The judge was a fishin' buddy that I recognized
    I said "Hey, judge, old buddy, old pal"
    "I'll pay ya that hundred I owe ya if you'll get me outta this spot"
    So he gave my friends a little fine to pay
    He turned around and grinned at me and said
    "Ninety days, Jerry, when you hot, you hot"
    'n' I said "Thanks a lot"

He let my friends go free and throwed the book at me
    He said "Well, when you're hot, you're hot"

I said "well I'll tell ya one thing judge, old buddy, old pal"
    "If you wasn't wearin' that black robe I'd take out in back of this courthouse
    >>>>"And I'd try a little bit of your honor on"
    "You understand that, you hillbilly?"
    "Who gonna collect my welfare?"
    (When you're hot, you're hot")
    "Pay for my Cadillac?"
    Whadda you mean 'contempt of court'?"
    (When you're hot, you're hot")
    "Judge"

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Godspeed Snowman.

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I got the same news myself this mornin', it truely is a sad day. He didn't make a fuss about his music or acting, he was just himself and that's fine with me! God speed Jerry!

I kinda setting here in awe, about the great music the good Lord gets to listen to in person these days.

On a side note, check out the album/cd that Chet and Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straights) did. It is a great listen!

ec90t

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Amos Moses was cajun, lived by himself in the swamp, hunted alligators for a living-just hit them in the head with a stump! That's all he had left cause an alligator bit em' went up clean to the elbone....

My cousin Jim Hurst is the greatest flat picker in the world today bar none. Jerry Reed was one of his greatist heroes, He finally got the opt to play with him on several projects and actually bend his ear with his amazing style and talent. Look up his name if you love pure flat picking or finger picking, he is a world class master of both styles with Bluegrass influence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.