1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremiah Johnson-Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I watched Jeremiah Johnson again last night (probably have watched 10 times now over the years) and got to thinking if I were a modern day mtn. man what weapons would I choose to be reliable and capable of killing what game I needed to survive? I noticed that Jeremiah Johnson had two rifles in the movie. I think if I were to be dropped off in the wildest parts of current AK that I would choose a K98k for my rifle and a synthetic stocked 870 with plenty of ammo. for both. What would you all choose?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"You've come a long way Pilgrim".

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Pretty close to you, a .308 bolt action and a 12 gauge pump gun. I figure they will be the easiest to get ammo for and do a good job on almsot everything in North America.

4. FIB

FIB Member

APrice, wouldn't you feel a little under gunned with just a .22 rifle in AK?

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Sure wouldn't be a "31" caliber Hawken....laughed myself sick at the thought of a mountain man shooting those little pills at big game and "injuns".

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Regardless of what caliber you decide on, I think step #1 of "Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For A Gunfight" apply to survival situations, too:

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

I also think that what you need is going to be a trade off between how much of a particular ammo you can carry (weight) and it's killing power.

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Better off learning to trap and fish.....you're not going to last very long relying on a big gun to survive. The gun is more for protection or large game once or twice a year, after you have enough shelter where you can store it.......then the bear will want it so that is almost futile.

Nope, those that rely of the gun to survive will perish.

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I think that my choice would be a 22LR and a 12ga . You can carry a lot of 22 ammo and as much 12ga as 308 or 30:06.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A 12 ga with slugs and birdshot and a 22 revolver would take care of all your needs.

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

In the lower 48 it would definately be a .22 rifle, then a 12gauge. More important would be a fishing pole and a super quality knife.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well, I would want a bunch of stuff in addition to a good 12 gauge with an ample supply of slugs and shot. I would also want good clothing and footwear and a compass and map. Then I would do my best to walk out of there. Very few people can survive total isolation let alone the brutal weather common to that region.

12. warren

warren Member

Something that would put down the Grizz.

warren

13. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Sorry to burst all of your bubbles but the days of the "mountain man" are OVER. You would be arrested to hunting without a license. Further, you would either be trespassing on private property or on land considered a "national park." Further, you would likely be arrested for carrying a concealed firearm in a National Park.

The government has taken claim to all land and resources in this country. You cannot fish without a license, hunt without a license, live without yearly property taxes. Think about it, the government has taken claim to EVERYTHING they just allow us to use some of it, so long as you pay!

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My favorite lines:

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Can you skin Griz?

Jeremiah Johnson: I can skin'em as fast as you can catch'em.

Bear Claw runs through the cabin with a huge Grizzly Bear close behind and jumps out the back window.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Skin that one greenhorn and I'll get you another!

Guy Babin

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

BrowningPotato,

The naitive Indians of North America have been lamenting that very fact way longer than we.

Maybe we "Manifest Destiny" types better understand how they felt/feel.

Guy B.

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Are you all right?

Sure, l got a fine horse under me!

Got one of them feathers in my nose.

Keep sneezing,
    it'll come out all right.

Haven't seen anyone pass by recently,
    have you?

Nobody's gone in front of me.

Can't say what's happened
    behind me though.

The lnjuns put you here?

lt weren't Mormons.

A chief, name of Mad Wolf.
    Nice fellow, don't talk a hell of a lot.

You wouldn't have
    an extra hat on you, would you?

Shade's getting scarce in these parts.

What did you shave your head for?

Mad Wolf figures like
    every other lnjun l know.

Says this scalp ain't fit
    for no decent man's lodgepole.

Ain't the first time l protected
    my head in such a way.

Name's Del Gue.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

That's another classic kiv.

The whole move is priceless.

18. geeber

geeber Member

I met the guy who made the knives and tomahawks that were in that movie at his home. R.W. Wilson from Wierton, West Virginia. Really nice guy. He taught my buddy how to make knives. He did beautiful work.
    Gary B.

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

My favorite lines are Jeremiah talking to his new wife that goes something like:

Jeremiah: Good hunter . . . . yes?

Wife: Yes.

Jeremiah: Fine figure of a man . . . . . yes?

Wife: Yes.

Jeremiah: That is all you need to know.

20. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Jeremiah is buried in Cody, WY. He died in L.A. and was brought from there to Cody in the 80's. Just a quick note, most mountain men of the fur trade era did not carry a Hawkins as they were quite expensive and not that many were ever made. Few carried percussion must carried flintlocks as flints could be found just about anywhere. The plains rifle is often overlooked in our western frontier history. Rest in peace Liver Eater

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jeremiah johnson and henry rifle movie

jeremiah johnson movie rifle

jeremiah johnson rifle movie