1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

JERBEAR, puter email advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jerbear, I use IE outlook express as my email program. I can't delete any emails due to an error or bug. Any fixes without totally formatting the hard drive? Thanks Jer! Hap

I'm afraid to respond to any of my online friends in case it's a bug!!

2. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

What is the error you're getting when you try and delete those e-mails?

If you have MS Office, have you tried switching to full blown Outlook? It is much more stable and effective that Outlook Express.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hap MecTweaks, when you go to delete the emails, what error or dialog box pops up?

Jerbear

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

What antivirus program are you using? What operating system XP/ Vista/ 98se?
    Give us more information.

Jerbear

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hap, check the Website URL above, it has lots of information that might help you.

Hauxfan!

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hi guys, I'm using XP. The only time I see the error message is when I try moving a message to the delete folder, otherwise there's no error message at all.The one that does pop up says, there's been an error and can't delete this message? My ISP has a good filter and I use AVG and spybot.

Some emails I receive I can delete, the older ones I can't. When I click on the delete button, nothing at all happens! Hap

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

How much hard drive space do you have left? Double click on the My Computer icon and go to the C drive and right click on that and go to properties, left click. You need at least 10% space for a swap file.

While your in the c drive properties go up to tools and error checking and click on automatically fix errors and reboot.

Can you right click on the older email and left click delete? When was the last time you compacted your email folders. Go to file and down to folder and compact all folders. That may unstick the older emails. I've seen that happen, but only once.

Jerbear

8. Hap MecTweaks

Jerbear, I have 61.3 GB of free space. Followed your instructions to check C drive and checked the auto function, restarted.

I did delete all the messages that were stuck by using the advice on Hauxfans link!! I used the "shift key & delete key as the guy said. Prior to that, I'd tried the ctrl/alt delete and that didn't work at all. It did get rid of all my stuck emails!! NOW, if the fix holds, I'm good for some entertaining emails again!! I'll treat you guys to a round of tea, trap or your choice first chance we get!! Thanks again to all of you guys, everyone of you guys are the best!! Happy Hap

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hap anytime. Glad this O/T thread did not get deleted, someone else may have the same problem and this will help them as well. I'm on another forum about computers that all info exchanged gets posted because if you had a problem that 9 other people had, we didn't rewrite the fix over and over again.

Jerbear

10. Hap MecTweaks

I guess I'm gonna have to reload again Jer. I can delete emails with the shift and delete button on the keyboard but not with the outlook express tab! Man I hate to lose all my goodies like I did the last time, what a PITA that was. I thought I'd saved everything on a CD but evidently missed a lot. Maybe I'll just get another email program and forget about outlook express? Thanks again for all your help Jer! Hap

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hap don't reformat just yet. give me a few to find your answer.!!!!

Jerbear

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hap have you emptied the deleted items folder. right click ont hte folder and left click deleted items folder.

Jerbear

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hap I found this and it may just work for you. Follow the instructions about deleting the inbox.dbx folder. Make sure you have the emails you want to save moved to a new folder like drafts or nake a new one and call it saved emails.

here ya go.

OK, make sure Outlook Express is closed, then here is where to look:

Right click on start and left click on explore. Follow this path and you might find if you have more then one person that's logs onto your computer check under your logpn name.

C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{7E4BA9BD-7C61-49C9-A77A-C5C21545F0CA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

That section in brackets will be different for you. Basically once you get to the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

there should only be one subdirectory that is named with a string of characters like that one above. Go into it, then into the subfolders:

Microsoft\Outlook Express

In there you will see several files with ".dbx" as the extension type. You will need to delete the INBOX.dbx. (Your OS may be set to hide the 3 letter extensions, so it may just say INBOX.")

If you do not see these files, check to make sure that you have the option to show hidden files and folders turned on. To do this go up to tools and folder options and put a tic in show hidden files. Now you will be able to see all the folders in your computer.

So, once you identify the Inbox.dbx file, delete it. Then the next time you start Outlook Express, it will create a new inbox file for you.

***NOTE: make sure you have saved any other e-mail in the inbox that you wish to keep before doing this. Make a new folder in Outlook Express (call it "Saved Messages" or something like that) and move the messages you want to keep into there.)

This should solve your problem.

Also, it would be a good idea to clean out all your temporary files. Open My Computer, right click on your C drive, select Properties, and click Disk Cleanup. This will open the Disk Cleanup Manager. It will take a few moments to scan your hard drive, then present you with a window and several cleaning options. Make sure to chose the options to clean Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files.

Let me know how that goes.

Jerbear

14. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Jerbear! I'll give that a try and let you know. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot! Hap

I've deleted about all the un-necessary files and trash I could already. I tried some almost clear instructions I got from Microsoft trying to compact the "dbx" files, I will try yours this time. The more I read about outlook express, there's quite a few glitches not associated with bugs or bad emails I've found out.

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hap I have revised my instructions above and it's to help you quicker. Print out the instructions and it will be easier to drill down to your email dbx files. Just copy and paste into your word program and save and print them for future use.

Jerbear

16. Hap MecTweaks

Thank you J. I'll print out the new instructions also. I've made arrengements with my ISP guy to come by tomorrow and fix this problem if I can't get it in the meantime. He's a computer whiz, he moves so fast thru the files n so-forth I can't keep up with what he's doing at all! Thanks for the new info. J. Hap

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

anytime buddy...

Jerbear

18. Hap MecTweaks

Good thing I have a pro coming over in the morning to fix my flub ups Jer! My email program is working slick as a whistle now! Only a couple small problems though, somehow I removed all my programs and my favorites list! I couldn't use my address bar to get on TS till I typed a note to myself with the correct clickable address highlighted! lol I don't know what I did but it sure fixed my outlook express, works better than when it was new! J., email me, remove the X. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.