1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jefferson Gun Club-Louisville

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolar412, Sep 1, 2013.

1. kolar412

kolar412 Member

I was on the ATA website and I noticed at the end of October Jefferson Gun Club in Brooks, Ky (basically a suburb of Louisville). Do any of my fellow Kentucky shooters have any info? I thought it had quit throwing targets.

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

They are throwing targets I believe on Wednesday and Saturday Sunday. They have no employees now run by members. That is the last information I have. I shot sporting in the spring there. They have sporting clays 5 stand skeet and some trap. I think trap is the least shot. Give them a call on Wednesday after noon or the weekend. Tom

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

What a wonderful gun club it was! I shot many Bluegrass skeet tourneys there on Memorial Day weekend. I was around 20 years old without a care in the world. I even became friends with one of the trap girls and dated her for a couple of years. It was such a great place to shoot.

They had a Gun Club Manager who I thought was great for business. They thought he was dipping his hand too much in the cash register. If he was, they should have let him keep doing it because the gun club is just a shell of itself once he was gone.

4. Murphy

Murphy Member

I shoot there alternate wednesdays for April thru August. Club is going well. Come on out to shoot. Trap, Skeet, Sporting 100 or quick 50. Phone number is 502-957-4661

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Any clue whatever happened to the Bluegrass? That used to be one of the premier shoots. I know the Mid-America took that weekend now, but never really heard why the shoot died. I have a vague recollection that maybe a tornado took some of their fields out and that put them out of commission, but that may be another club I'm thinking of.

6. Murphy

Murphy Member

Tornado did hit, don't remember the year but all is fine now. I shot in the Registered Sporting clays event there in July.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Did they have more fields then than they do now?

Any plans on any major skeet tournaments in the future?

8. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Jefferson Gun Club has always been known as a skeet shooters club. Still is that way. They have skeet and sporting clays. Very little trap.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jefferson Gun Club is about 30 miles south of Louisville in Brooks, KY and shoots very little trap. It has always been primarily a skeet club. I used to shoot there back in the 1980's. Since then, it has had its ups and downs.

A much better place for trap is Indian Creek Gun Club in Georgetown, IN. It is privately owned and very well run. They shoot every day except Monday.

Indian Creek is about 10 miles north of Louisville.

Here is their website.

http://www.indiancreekshooting.com/

Ed Ward

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Yes, it has always been a skeet club - but they had a thriving business 15 years ago. They had sporting clays, 5 stand, skeet, and trap. They had a league night for trap and turkey shoots. They had several trapshooters actively involved at this point.

To answer what happened to the Jefferson Gun Club, I mentioned in my post above but will answer again. They had a Gun Club Manager and wife (won't mention names on forum but if you must know - pm me) who lived on the grounds and was building the club. The manager had a FFL and stocked shells and reloading components. His prices were good. He kept good stock of Remington, Federal, and Winchester target loads plus reloading components. Some of the members and board members believed or had proof (I've never known which to be fact) that the manager and his wife was dipping their hand into the kitty. They terminated his position and at that point along with the tornado, the gun club went down hill. I was a personal fan of the manager and he was good for business! Stealing is wrong no matter how you look at it, but the manager knew how to run a gun club.

11. kolar412

kolar412 Member

I agree they cater to the skeet/SC crowd, but I was just happy that they are shooting ATA registered targets again after many years away. If the weather is fitting I'll probably go in October, and I agree Indian Creek is wonderful, Wanda makes great food.

12. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

kolar412, It has been many years since I shot at Jefferson. The last time I did I had targets that were 30 feet in the air. I went to the club house and ask to have them set correctly. The lady running the club told me she didn't know how to set the trap machines. That was the last time I ever shot there and will not go back. It might be different now,but I want you to know what you might get. Have a great day. Hoosier

13. JeffersonGunClub

JeffersonGunClub TS Member

We appreciate the interest in Jefferson Gun Club and wanted to take a moment to respond to the thread with an update on the current status at JGC. Over the last year we have been working hard to re-invigorate registered trap at JGC starting with the construction of 3 new poured concrete trap houses with roll back roofs and the complete restoration of 3 Pat Traps. All 3 fields have wireless voice calls as well. The ATA has been to the facility and certified the fields and birds thrown. We are currently the home for Bullitt Co. 4H Trap program and have seen a strong influx of youth and adult trap shooters over the past few months. By year end we will add a 4th field with a wobble trap and voice calls. We held our first registered shoot in October and have more coming on 11/2 and 12/7. Stay tuned for 2014 dates. We would like for you to come out shoot with us and see all the hard work that's been going on.

Some other General information, we currently operate a 15 station wireless sporting clays course and in addition offer a rotation of 5 stand, Fitasc, and Super sporting. We also have 5 wireless skeet fields. Our Sporting registered shoots are posted at www.jeffersongunclub.com and the skeet dates should be available soon.

We also have a pro shop that offers reloading supplies and ammo.

Hope to see you soon!

14. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i have shot sporting there several times over the past year and it was always a pleasant visit ..

15. JeffersonGunClub

Sstg,

Your right that does sound high especially if you were shooting 12ga and only purchased 4 boxes. Its not impossible an error was made. If you'd like to stop by and discuss it we will try to work something out.

Thanks

Jefferson Gun Club

16. JeffersonGunClub

Roger C,

There's no doubt JGC went through some dark days, from questionable managers to natural disasters, and ultimately near failure. The vast majority of the folks leading the club these days including myself only know the stories of those days. We don't take them for granted and work very hard to ensure we don't see them again. I don't know if you're still supplying gun clubs but would be willing to discuss if you'd like to contact us at sportjeffgun@windstream.net

Sincerely,
    Jefferson Gun Club

17. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I just looked at the Jefferson Gun Club website clear to see a big change. I know several people on the board there and would like to see them bring the club back. I just don't like the high price that is charged nonmember it doesn't make me fell welcome. I have heard the same from a lot of shooters that I know that shot there in the past. It looks like jgc is on this forum so maybe that will change. A lot of people have hard feelings toward the club for things that the board now had nothing to do with. Good luck and I hope it turns out well. Tom

18. RBL661

RBL661 TS Member

To the shooter that left because the targets were too high. Why didn't you offer to help the young lady by showing her how to adjust the trap or are you one of those "hands off" shooters who "let someone else do it"? A volunteer run club is bound to have problems from times to time, give e'm a break.

19. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Jefferson Gun used to host KTL Zone shoots and have some decent ATA shoots with good attendance in the late 80's early 90's.They have the location and facility to grow and to get back to trap.They just need the people with the want to.

The Kentucky Trap League and the ATA will do all they can to support this club.

I wish them the very best !

Terry Dean CHC
    Ky. Delegate

20. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

RBL661, I guess I am one of those hands off shooters who lets someone else do it. Have a great day. Hoosier

Search tags for this page

gun club jefferson county kentcuky

jefferson gun club louisville ky

louisville ky trap shooting joe

trap houses louisville shot