1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeff L: re. Chevy Trailblazer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobby ward, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Jeff,

Lost your email address so I hope you see this. I ended up buying a 2007 Trailblazer LT with the 5.3 V8 Active Fuel Management engine like you suggested. THANKS FOR A GREAT TIP! My first tank MPG was 17.5 and it has gone up over the last 5 tanks. I have had 18.3 - 19.2 - 18.6 - 19.6 and 20.3 I am pleased with the smooth operation and quiet of the engine and transmission. I love the satellite radio but next time around would most likely not get a sunroof. The vehicle is smaller than my Tahoe by a ways but at $16,000 cheaper I can live with that!

Thanks Jeff!

2. just turned 77K on my 2003 T-B ...great car ....good choice....best of luck.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

thats normal Big Ed..the clutch is cold and tight..as it should be..loose is bad

4. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

The wife bought a 2007 TB. Excellent little SUV.

5. stskid

stskid TS Member

I purchased a 2006 TB LT last year.

Wish I would have waited a year to get the new engine. I also have the V-8, but best gas mileage to date has been 15.9 mpg!

Love the vehicle, just get tears in my eyes when I pull up to the gas pump

Rick Reading

6. load

load TS Member

You are so misinformed it is unbelievable.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The 100,000 mile warranty should relieve some concern. I've had three Explorers but might move to a Trailblazer if there is enough driver leg room.

8. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

We have an 05 Envoy which is the same as TB. We have it for 7 more days and the lease is up. There are some things I will miss, but the MPG on a good day averages about 14-15. The AC and heating is the WORST system in any GM vehicle that we have had. Not uncommon in winter to drive 20 miles before inside is comfortable and not uncommon on a hot day to take 30-40 miles for the inside to cool off.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 TB - have had it since new. The air cond has never worked satifactorily. If it is over 80 degree's it takes about three miles to get cool. Chevrolet has had it in three times and each time they say it is ok. Biggest pile of crap car I have ever owned and I have had over 25 new cars. The in line six is powerless. I am sure the fan clutch is bad and that is the AC problem but after three trips to the dealer and three years I give up. Never a GM again

10. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Hi Gang,

I just filled up again last night and did a mileage check. 167 miles traveled and 8.5 gallons used = 19.6 mpg. The tip from Jeff was a good one. The 5.3 liter V8 with AFM and the 3:42 axel ratio is a good one. The vehicle is a soft ride and the engine transmission is silky smooth. The vehicle came with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on engine and drive train and I purchased the extra accessory warranty to stretch it to 75,000 for bumper to bumper coverage from the original 36,000 miles. So far so good and I love the XM radio.

11. Nate_w

Nate_w TS Member

My 02 TB's fan clutch went out at about 60k. Other than that it has functioned perfectly. The AC is cold. The heater will roast you out. I average about 15mpg in the city and 19 on the highway. It's pulled many trailers well and has never had a problem with them. It's been a great vehicle for me, but I guess I'm lucky.

-N

12. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

To be fair on the mileage readings I am getting I should tell you about my driving conditions. I currently have 1358 miles on the vehicle and most of those miles are what you and I would classify as highway miles. I live 14.5 miles from my work and 10 of those miles are on the Interstate at steady highway speeds. Most often I drive at 60-63 miles per hour, (no special reason, that's just where it ends up when I am at full speed) I do very little in town or city driving. The all around average since I got the truck has been 18.5 miles per gallon. I have yet to have the occasion to take a significant trip where all of the driving is highway miles, but I think this truck has the potential to hit 20.5 under actual highway driving conditions. Given the fact that I just traded off a 2001 Tahoe with 145,000 miles on it and the best it ever did on the highway was 17.2 and the all around MPG was 15.2, I'll take this one any day.

I have read the numerous threads here and other sites listing problems and I must say they are legendary if true. With only 1300+ miles on my truck the jury is still out on reliability and incidence of repair, but with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty I don't have to worry just yet about out of pocket expense.

I am curious to hear from others who have the 5.3 AFM engine and either of the 3:73 or 3:42 rear ends as to your mileage.

Thanks!

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I am currently looking at an '06 GMC Envoy Denali with the 5.3 V-8. Drove it last week...loved it!...as for leg room, Big Heap. I'm 6'4" and a big guy and it fit me like a glove.

14. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

ljutic73,

I am not sure the Envoy and Trailblazer were available last year with the AFM version of the 5.3 V8 engine. There is a major difference in the sense that the AFM which stands for Active Fuel Management, runs on 4 cylinders at highway and at idle speeds. The other 5.3 is the same one I just got rid of in my 2001 Tahoe and it was NOT good on MPG. I have heard from others with this earlier version in the Trailblazer that the mileage is poor at best. No where near what I have experienced with the newer version and the 3:42 rear end. Careful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.