1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeep Liberty Or Dodge Journey???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rem870TB, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I will need to choose between the two since I am coming up on ordering a new company vehicle.

No use suggesting ANYTHING else, those are the only two choices.

Work is engineering for a petroleum exploration/production outfit.

Driving is mostly highway, back roads, some lease roads but these aren't too bad.

We do get winter here, sometimes a lot of snow.

Mostly travel alone. Don't carry any heavy gear or tow anything.

Personal use is allowed.

2. twopipe

twopipe Member

I prefer the Journey, the Libety was too short/high ratio and changed ends on ice pretty quick. also it was rough ! We have to choose Chrysler Fleet too. Get the AWD model for snow, pretty good traction.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"the Libety was too short/high ratio and changed ends on ice pretty quick"

OK then, that sounds a bit too "exciting" for my liking ;)

Thanks

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I guess I would vote for the Liberty. I have had one in the driveway for years. I tow it. I drive it in MI winters with no problems, love instant 2 to 4 wheel drive when needed. It isn't going to spin on ice anymore than any other 2 wheeled drive car, put it in 4x4. I drive it on the Xways with excellent results, to FL and back. Love the pep and pickup, it cruises at 75 effortlessly.

Don

5. twopipe

twopipe Member

Actually, the Liberty now looks longer than the one I had 5 years ago, and may be more stable. But the one I had as a company vehicle woulld never be owned by me

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I have a 2008 Liberty and have to say that it is the most comfortable riding vehicle I've ever owned! Cruised across North Dakota from one end to the other at 80+ and got 23 mpg and not a sign of a backache. The newer version of the Liberty is 2" larger overall than the old body style.

I've never ridden in a Journey, so I can't give a comparison. However, be aware that AWD vehicles give a stiffer ride, are generally noisier, and usually give a couple of mpg less than conventional 4WD vehicles.

My Liberty rides better than my wifes's Grand Cherokee AWD, as well as a friend's Chrysler 300 AWD!

Bottom line is that you need to try them both out.

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

23 mpg at 80+ mph from a vehicle rated at 22 mpg at 48 mph can only be described as phenomenal! Where can I buy one of these?

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

1 mpg difference is "phenomenal"? Hardly.

Mileage ratings on any vehicle are a joke, and should never be used. There are too many variables that can affect fuel economy: Air temp, wind velocity, road conditions, # of miles on the vehicle, condition of tires, filters, etc. Good mileage one day can turn to $hit the next, based on changes in any of those variables.

Granted, the conditions under which I got 23 mpg were ideal. The weather was warm, low winds, and I-90 across ND is in great condition. Also, that mileage was attained strictly while cruising, no town or off-road driving. I had about 35K miles on the vehicle, so it was broken in well, too. Tires were inflated properly, which is a bigger issue than most people realize.

City driving kills average mileage; I get around 18 - 19 mpg, but winter driving really knocks it down to around 16 mpg.

We've taken a few long-ish trips in my Wife's Grand Cherokee (also has a 3.7L V6) and have gotten as high as 24 mpg with it. I suspect that that is because of the extra "gear" in the transmission.

One thing I do not BS about is mileage!

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

22 mpg at 48 mph vs. 23 mpg at 80 mph is a whole lot more than 1 mpg difference.

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Really Galt, isn't the number of miles at different speeds the same, the only difference being how fast you get there? I fail to see how speed creates more than 1 mpg of difference, please explain.

Don and kiv, Whats your opinion as to the older version from the standpoint of whether you see any improvements in newer compared to the original version that make it more desirable for the added cost of a newer vehicle assuming the condition and miles are the same?

Thanks, John

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

A small detail here. The current Liberty is basicaly a Dodge Nitro reskinned to the Liberty. Both come from the same factory in Toledo down the same production line. The orginal Liberty is a bit smaller all around. The extra width and length took away the tendancy for the orginal Liberty to be somewhat skittich at times. Bill

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

P S I don't think the Dodge Journey comes even close to the vehicle that the Jeep Liberty is. Bill

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Fine, lovley, if you think vehicles get the same mileage at 48 mph as they do at 80 mph then you have no clue. I could mention wind drag which goes up exponentially with speed but why bother.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Liberty- get the upgrades to leather and I think there are two transmission choices

Do a little research on the transissions

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

John, the difference between the old and new style of Liberty is most apparent in ride quality and roominess.

Truthfully, I like the looks of the Nitro better, but at the time I was looking to buy it appeared that the Nitro was going to be discontinued.

The Liberty has more of an "off-road" suspension (advertised as "trail-rated"); the Nitro is (I believe) AWD and sprung more like a conventional SUV. The engine/transmission combo available is different, too. The nitro is (or was) available with a 4.0 litre v6; the liberty only has a 3.7L v6.

Gene is correct, order it with the transmission upgrade; it should have more power and maybe better economy on the highway.

16. SeldomShoots

Gene and kiv, thanks for those words of advice. No doubt gear ratios in the transmission and rear end can account for a lot of fuel mileage as well.

"22 mpg at 48 mph vs. 23 mpg at 80 mph is a whole lot more than 1 mpg difference"

Galt, while I am a handsome fellow and not lovely, I would Luvs to hear your dissertation on the mileage issue, wind drag and speed difference. Miles are still miles, mileage is still mileage, the only difference seems to be how fast you get there and how soon you run out of gas. By the way, your brain seems to be near "E".

John, not the Galt

P.S. are you Luckyman with a new name?

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

So luckyman luv, then why did your hero, Jimmy Carter, reduce the speed limit from 70 to 55 if it wasn't to save fuel? He didn't lie to you did he when he said it was to save gas I hope. Call Jimbo at 1-800-lib-bozo to discuss it with him.

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ah yes! Good Ol'Jimmah!

He gave us the Department of Energy!

Now, 30+ years later gas has gone from 77ยข/gallon to over $3/gallon ...and we now import more oil that we ever did.

Not only that ... we spend muli billions of dollars per year on that piece of crap called DOE!

19. APrice

APrice Active Member

I don't know kiv...most guys always seem to exaggerate vehicle fuel mileage and penis length for some reason.

You didn't average 80+ mph and 23 mpg in a Jeep Liberty. Wish it could happen, but it doesn't. The CRD (diesel model) might do it, but not the V-6.

"We've taken a few long-ish trips in my Wife's Grand Cherokee (also has a 4.7L V6)"

I don't think your wife has a Grand Cherokee with a 4.7L V-6 either.

As Gene likes to say, "the devil's in the details."

20. SeldomShoots

Galt, Still waiting on the explanation without the politics. As usual, you suffer from your mouth overloading your brain.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.