1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeep Commander

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Nuts, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Jan 24, 2009
    I thinking about replacing my vehicle--which needs to be a do all SUV. It especially needs to function well for traveling to shooting tournements.

I'm intriged by the Jeep Commander, does any one have experiences with this vehicle that they would like to share. Function, ride, MPG, reliability etc.

I have previously owned F150, Dakota, a bunch of exploreres (which are good but a bit small), and mini vans. All of which served me well, except the 2WD Dakota, which would get stuck on wet grass. I'm in the north and 4X4 is a must, and it must have run for cargo, several guns, shells etc.
  2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Check fuel ecomony numbers against its competition. They don't do as well as most of the full-sized SUV's out there.

Chrysler owned Jeep products are a little suspect when it comes to dependability.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    They are made on the grand cherokee platform I think

I like my grand cherokee- they are comfortable and they handle very well on ice and do well in snow depending on the tires you have on it

We test drove many smaller 4 bys and this one seemed the best for the money- in other words the best value- but they were also probably the best in their category

regards from Iowa

4. 9103997

9103997 TS Member

May 4, 2009
    My wife and I considered one when we where looking to buy a new car . Found several on line at a very cheap price . Further research showed that they had a windshield leak which allowed water to seep in behind the dash . This would cause all kinds of electrical problems . They may have corrected this problem I don't know .
  5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You might check out the Jeep Forum at the link shown above.
  6. old tex

old tex TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have 2007 - bought it because my bride liked the head room and ease of access.

It is my toad and has more miles being towed than driven - biggest complaint is gas milage - 18 is about tops on road and 12/13 in town.

7. FAT-BOY

FAT-BOY TS Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Just Got a 2006 model for wife. So far have had no problems and had no trouble with the 28 inch snow we had the 19th of Dec. Went like a tank. Beautiful automobile and plenty of room. The two jump seats in the back fold down as well as the rear seat. no storage problem.

The only problem is that she wont let me drive it. Havent checked mileage. Wonder why!!!

Boby Meadows
  8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Beautiful vehicle, rides well and goes through the snow like...well...a jeep!

Unfortunately, it is one of several models that are being discontinued due to poor sales. And, as poor as Chrysler's sales have been, it may not be the only one...

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Mar 2, 2006
    My sister leased one and just turned it in. She loved it. Not a lick of trouble. I drove it on a trip and was impressed with the comfort and sound system. She leased a Liberty this time to save a few bucks, but she misses her Commander.
  10. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I just bought one 09 and I think its great. I traded in a Wrangler for it I get about 17.8 mpg with it driving it to and from work not highway miles. It has a V 6 and a kick A$$ stereo heater and ac. All my guns and gear pop in the back really easy. I did not get the 3rd seat in it as I really did not need it.
  11. maka

maka Member

Nov 23, 2009
    My son is mecanic. Has worked various jeep and chrysler related vehicles. Tells me they are built well but, have numorus electrical, trany, head gaskets, on an on. Good luck. My dad owned nothing buy chrysler products. This from 1940 to 1988. Drove those 318's 150,000 to 250,000. Thats when they new how to build them.
  12. kolarshooter1981

kolarshooter1981 TS Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Interesting Thread. I was looking at a Jeep Commander as well. After much research and speaking to several owners they say they ok a decent vehicle but say they probably wouldnt buy another one. Must of the people i have talked to said they would buy a H3 Hummer or Honda Pilot if they had to do over. I guess always depends on the owner, if they are happy thats all that matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jeep commander tutorial video