1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeep Cherokee vs. Ford Explorer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chipdaddy, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Down sizing from a Suburban, any thoughts on these two rigs. I know the Explorer has more room but the Cherokee caught my eye. Never owned a Ford or a Jeep. Thanks, Jerry

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've owned a 2nd Gen (1997) Explorer with V6 and put 200K on that with minimal issues - engine and body stayed great, but trans went. Bought a 2004 and have 100K on that (also a V6), again with minimal issues.

Mileage is mediocre at best. 2004 is very comfortable to drive over the road. The new Explorer coming out for 2011 is expected to have a 25% increase in gas mileage over the 2010.

I'd buy a third if I have the use for that type of vehicle when this one bites the dust...

regards,

Jay

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I owned a Jeep Cherokee Sport a few years ago and I will never own another one. It was a real piece from the day that I bought it and the dealership failed to recognize a real lemon.

I bought it in the winter and noticed how hot it ran even though the temp was below 0. I thought great heater until next spring and it overheated sitting in the drive - it was 55 degrees. I took it to the dealer until they told me not to bring it back...

A coworker has Jeep Grand Cherokee and once it was paid for the real bills started coming in 1500 for electrical, 2000 for ac, and then another 1500 for brakes. etc

Buy Ford from a good dealer and don't look back,
    TNCoach

4. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

I have to say that my experiences have been quite different than those of TNCoach.

I've had two Jeep Cherokees (1 Sport, 1 Grand Laredo) both purchased new. Drove the Sport till I gave it to my son at 157K miles. He drove it to about 170K and traded it because he wanted a pickup. I bought the Laredo and put 160K on it (and traded it for a pickup as well). For both, I put tires, batteries, brakes, etc on them. I'd buy another one tomorrow - loved that 4 liter - and the transmission on the Laredo tolerated FAR more than I'd have ever expected, pulling boats, and in general, not taking as good care of it as I should have.

Can't comment on the Explorer.

Jim In FL

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a grand cherokee diesel--- in many ways the best vehicle I have ever owned

Mercedes engine

tows big stuff too

awesome on ice

as good on snow as the tires you put on it

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have owned Jeep Cherokees continuosly since 1987 and I think they are fine. Routine Maintenance yes but no serious problems. The last regular Jeep Cherokee (with the 4L) not the Grand Cherokee was built in 2001 so finding a used one in good shape will be a chore. I would not avoid a Jeep Liberty either.

7. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I have had both. Drove both to very high mileage. 250k+ on the Jeep and sold it in running condition. My son is still driving the Explorer at 255k, original motor and trans. Get the Ford! No doubt about it.

8. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I owned a 2000 Grand Cherokee. Four wheel drive. I had over 100,000 miles on it when I sold it to my son and daughter-in-law. They have been driving it a few years now and have not had any problems. I liked the Grand Cherokee enough to buy another in 2007. Bought the Overland model and have had no problems with the vehicle. Very comfortable and fun to drive. I consider the Jeep a step up from the Ford.

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

GN77777: Gene:

Where did you get a Grand Cherokee Diesel? Since they weren't avaiable in the US, did you import it from Germany/Europe or Canada? I bet it gets 25-30 MPG too, doesn't it?

I would really like to see a picture of the engine in that car, would it be possible for you to take one and email it to me? I would appreciate it greatly.

I am currently building a Jeep Scrambler with a 4BT Cummins engine, from scratch, simply becasue they won't sell a diesel Jeep in the US. Other friends of mine have installed 3.0L 5cyls ((MBZ OM617) diesel motors in various Jeeps like Cherokees, Wranglers, and Commanchees.

"POLITICAL BS" once again making our lives better for us even if we don't want them to. Only reason for no diesel cars in the US. In Europe 60% of new cars are diesels. They always say it's the emmisions keeping them out, but both Cummins and MBZ diesels both boast about cleaner air coming OUT of the engine than going in!!!

As far as the Ford vs Jeep question, There is 25 times the aftermarket stuff available for the Jeep, and if you are looking at keeping the thing for a long time then this will matter. More support means longer life.

As far as the Ford Explorer. We don't call them "Exploders" for nothing. They are fine on road, pure junk as soon as the pavement turns to dirt. The Jeeps just can take more abuse. So if you are actually going to use the thing, get the Jeep.

Randy

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A friend bought a Jeep Liberty Diesel (2006)?? It has been one big headache Mileage is around 18 at best . Every thing about it cost more then a gasser

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I would only buy from a financially solvent company. I only owned 1 Jeep a 1967 Jeep Commando with a Buick V6 engine, POS. Most people could care less about off road or climbing over rocks, they buy a SUV be it foreign or domestic for ordinary transportation and when weather calls for it FWD. Ford has been the leader since 1991 with the Explorer.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Having owned all three including the suburban by the ford I had my last one for ten years still would if the kid hadn't run in to me and totaled it. Jeeps not so much

13. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Thanks, Jerry

14. whopper1

whopper1 Member

When I married my wife, she came with an 05 Grand Cherokee. It is a 2 wheel drive six cylinder. Gets 15-16 MPG at best. On the highway from Texas to Ohio it averaged about 22 MPG. Not very good in my estimation. AS far as performance, it runs great and has no problems, just not very economical so it sits a lot.

Dave

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you do your research on the net as to repair rate % on Jeeps, you will buy the Ford. Anybody who has had one and had good luck has been in the lower % of the owners. Gene may have the answer because Jeep has always had a weak engime

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you are going with what is the most current models out there...get the Ford...with the V8....it gets the same mileage as the 6cyl..is very powerful and smooth...and will get better mileage when loaded down

17. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Jeep Grand Cherokees were available in the U.S.A. (select states)with the diesel. Not any longer.

Mercedes has the ML320 Bluetec as well as the GL320 Bluetec diesels available most states for 2010. $45-65k price range. Hwy mileage about 25-6.

Volkswagen has a 3 liter diesel available in thier Torareg(?), it gets in the high 27-29 on the highway. You gotta check it out!! awesome power, tows 7,000 pounds or so. Very comfy.

Jeep until 2010 had an unlimited warranty on the power train. Check for a left over 2009 if want a HEMI!.

JMHO

Phil Santos

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Look at a Tahoe!

19. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

HMMM, We have grand Cherokee's at work and i hate the new ones. I had a 98 grand cherokee and it was OK but overall turned out to have alot of problems and I am not a hard driver by any means. As for the Explorer aka EXPLODER. I would never have one of them.

20. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I thought Ford stop making the Explorer in 2009. They had stated the were going into the crossover cars(Flex}. I have owned 2 Explorer and would not mind owning another great SUV.

George Ware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2000 cherokee vs 1998 explorer wheel

2000 jeep cherokee vs ford explorer

2000 jeep grand cherokee vs ford explorer

2nd gen ford explorer vs jeep grand cherokee

98 grand cherokee vs 98 ford explorer

about ford expoal 2000 jeep

ford explorer 08 vs jeep grand cherokee 98

ford explorer vs jeep cherokee 1998