Trapshooters Forum banner

JE 687 sp3 or CG summit impact??? PICS Added

6K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  sman 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new gun, so help me spend my money. I was able to shoot both guns last week and really like them both. I shot well with both (25)with the beretta and 24 with CG. Being loaner guns I didn't take a lot of time to fit them perfect to me but they were close. I liked the feel of the CG better but did run'em with the 687. I thought the grip was a little thicker on the 687 other than that pretty similar in my opinion. Oh both 32" so what do I do? I don't think I can go wrong with my choice but want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
SMAN

#6 ·
CalvinMD, both guns I shot were, 12ga, 32" o/u, a Joel Etchen spII and CG Summit Impact. I would love a combo but don't think I can afford one now. Looking for at least an o/u 32"

Do you think that the resale is better on one, if I ever need to get rid of it?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.

#9 ·
I have no respect for Beretta's ability to properly converge barrels or produce choke tubes that all shoot to the same place. When you complain to the warranty service shop in MD about it, you will be told that misconvergence of barrels or eccentric choke tubes are not considered factory defects as long as they shoot to within 8" (yes, eight inches) of each other at 40 yards.

I've owned two Berettas, a BL3 and a Gold E combo. Based on my experiences, I wouldn't own another.

Although I have no personal experience with the CG, of the two you mention, I'd go with the CG simply because it isn't a Beretta.

#12 ·
I remember when C.G. first hit the trap shooting market five or six years ago and everyone was saying wait to see how they hold up after some use. Well I think that has proving itself. In my area everyone is buying the Guerini and the worst thing I have ever herd anybody say was he thought it shot to high for him. Beretta is also a good gun but when it comes to customer service beretta does not hold a wick to C.G. You break a beretta who knows when you will get it back. It mite not be in the same target year.

#16 ·
I have Beretta's and Brownings and have no personal experience with the CG other than looking them over. The UK websites I have perused seem to consider the CG as a step down from a Beretta. Finding them lacking in longevity, reliability and resale.

Maybe the US importer offers better warranty? Who imports CG now and who owns CGUSA? Same importer for the last 10 years or so?

Just my observation, don't get your CG panties all bunched up.

#17 ·
The same people have owned CGUSA from day one,Wes Lang and Guerini USA, they have built a very good brand in a down economy by providing a quality gun with features that US shooters want and excellent factory service and by service I don't just mean fixing a broken gun,for instance call with a question and if they can't answer it right away they make sure you are called back by the end of the day with the answer.

Between the 2 guns I chose the Guerini, my first Trap gun was a Joel Etchen combo, a very nice gun,3 things kind of bothered me, it loosened up pretty fast, the trigger was kind of loose and floppy and the top lever was always sticky. I decided to sell it and get a Guerini top single Trap gun. In comparison the Guerini has much better triggers that have not changed over 40k rounds or so, the gun has stayed tight,still requires it to be pushed open with a very precise feel to it.

I had 1 breakage at about 30k rounds or so,the part that broke had already been redesigned,broke it on Sunday winter league, called down on Monday, took it in on Tuesday, had it back in an hour, fixed and serviced,all for no charge

Over the last three years or so I have got to the point where I don't want any other Trap gun,I've tried others and I don't really see where I would do any better than with my Guerini. I plan to give their lifetime warranty a test.

I've since added a Impact and love it,shoot it for sporting clays and trap doubles,like it every bit as much as the Trap gun and if I had to could make it my everyday Trap gun,easily adjustable gun that moves very well. I'm not a doubles shooter and a couple years ago at the state shoot I had a chance for high overall,shot the Impact for doubles the first time,broke a 90 and won my overall class.It is an easy gun to shoot well.

JohnR

#26 ·
YOu did good..I honestly think in their price range they are tops and very refined for a mass produced shotgun..its no K80 but its not supposed to be,..but a good man behind the butt of a CG can put a super premium gun owner back on the road home any day of the week...shot meat shoots with mine this week and it came out on top each round ..just sold my K80 because my Maxum shoots and handles par excellence'and is a might easier on the eyes...performance and endurance are what count for me..not snob appeal or a huge figure on the bottom line of the sales agreement...I'd love to shoot an impact because I think it would be easy to excel with at sporting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.