1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jax's Journal Article

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Winnie the Pooh, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh Member

Jax

Not sure if anyone is even interested, but I wrote an article during the summer for those who wanted more camping stories. I then found out I had no place for it to be published. Hated for the time and energy to go to waste. Hope you enjoy!!!
    Jax

A Camping Experience to Remember – Illinois State Shoot 2010
    by Jacque Snellenberger Thatcher

Many shooters hotel it, but the rest of us experience camping life. Those of us who camp know that it can be an experience all by itself, which it was this past summer at the Illinois State Shoot.
    I had just finished teaching 5th graders on Monday, so Tuesday, Dad and I started to drive to the Illinois State Shoot. We’d looked forward to it all year, as it was the beginning of our shooting run - Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin. The drive went as usual except for a few down pours along the way. As we got closer to Illinois, we kept hearing on the radio that they were expecting more rain. We still weren’t thinking it was that big of a deal, until we came closer to the shoot and we had to drive on the wrong side of the road to get through the water. Uh-oh, now we were starting to worry.
    We finally entered Brittany Shooting Park a little apprehensive, but still excited. We made it and we were here! Larry Mohr had told me that we were camping spot #30. It’s easy to find he said, “It’s right by the road that goes to the house.” It certainly sounded easy enough. Little did we know.
    As we drove down the main drag looking for our camping spot, we saw nothing but mud ruts. We get to the road that goes to the house, but it ends at #33. However, I saw behind those campers was another row and what looks like another drive going down in the opposite direction. That must be ours I said, as I begin to drive down. Oops! They weren’t ours. Now what? Nothing left to do, but continue on down. I figured there must be some sort of an exit after the last camper in the back row, right?

We stopped to let some camper back into his spot, but he kept spinning his wheels and I thought, “He’s going to get stuck.” And, since we didn’t want to get stuck we went around him and kept going to what looked like the end. Uh-oh! No road! Well, we couldn’t go back, so we guessed we’re going forward. Yup, you guessed it. I turned past the last motor home only to realize it was right next to the corn field, which was super soft and I got stuck! Not just a little stuck, I mean a lot stuck!

Dad and I had hoofed it down to the club house stepping in between the water puddles and mud. We found Larry who had already begun teasing me about how he gave me a great camping spot, easy to find, and I’d gone and messed it up. But, he had got a kid who’d been running the tractor and pulling people out, so he’d help us. We went back down there and they hooked up the chain and began to pull us out. However, our 5th wheel slides in the mud and was now only about 18 inches from someone’s very expensive motor home. We all decided it was best to stop right there. Larry, who knew everyone, said he’d find him and just have him move his motor home and then we could be pulled out. Sounded easy enough.

Dad and I sat at the table by the score board to wait for Larry. We sat and talked. Larry told us he couldn’t find the gentleman, but thought he went to dinner and he’d be back. No problem, we’d wait. So, we sat at the table and talked to everyone who walked by. Not such a hardship if you’re a Snellenberger, but as it started to get darker and darker Dad and I came to the conclusion that we’re just going to sleep in the camper and they’d come bail us out tomorrow.

We hiked it back down to the cornfield, only to find Donnie (Larry’s son-in-law) looking our camper over and devising a plan. He’s was thinking that if they get the tractor really close to the pine tree he could pull me out diagonally. The camper would be past the motor home and all would be good. He did and it was. Woo hoo!

You’d think that this should be the end of our adventure with the camper, right? I mean all we have to do is now drive it down and set it up. Wouldn’t you know it, as we drove down to our real camping spot, which was just on the other side of the road, you know, the easy one, it started to pour yet again! Notice, I didn’t say rain, but pour.

Anyone who has ever set up in the pouring rain knows how miserable it can be. Steamed glasses, trying to avoid parked vehicles without going into wet muddy areas with no traction, and getting things lined up all without really being able to see anything, because it is dark out.

By 10:00 on Tuesday evening we were parked, and set up, if not just a bit wet. Ok, a lot wet, but since we had our camper, it was no problem. We changed clothes and went to bed, ready to start our Illinois State Shoot experience, yet again.

The Illinois State Shoot turned out to be a great experience and the people were even better. Bill, across from the clubhouse, will hang you upside down like a bat (Inverter table). West Coast Swing dancing on Friday night in St. Louis. Liz, who’s known for her massage hands, even let me borrow her GPS system to get me safely back and forth. A big feast held for the shooters on Saturday night and a great Mexican dinner with friends on Sunday after the shoot ended. A fabulous experience, even if I did get stuck for my first time.

Here’s to hoping that if I have to get stuck again, I do it where shooters are present, as they are always ready and willing to help with whatever you may need. In the end it’s all worth it, isn’t it?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Average Ed's critique will appear forthwith.

3. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Great article...To bad you couldn't have shared it with a larger readership.Once again I ask,"What has happened to Trap&Field?"

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You shoot better than most men, but you still drive truck like a girl! lol, nice story Jax.

5. lowbaselarry

lowbaselarry Member

Jax

Great article Jackie.Very well writen. Hope yopu and your dad did well at the shoot. Larry Marvier

6. lowbaselarry

lowbaselarry Member

I promise to read my next message before I send it. Dummy. Larry Marvier

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of ATA camping. Over the years I have been stuck in several camp grounds and it's always an adventure.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.