1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jax Gun Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grindem, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grindem

grindem Member

I am considering getting back into shooting Registered ATA. Looked at the Jax, FL. club web site and see all ATA shoots are cancelled for 2012.
    Wonder what is going on and if they will have ATA shoots in 2013?

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Grindem

The trap shooters tried to make some changes in the clubs operation. Suffice it to says they were wrong and the membership rose up and sent them packing. All the club needs is someone not connected with these people to restart the ATA program. Interested in being that person?

Tom

3. grindem

grindem Member

T:
    Sorry to hear the bad news.

I live 100 plus miles away, a little too far to do anything but attending and paying my way.

I hope it works out for the Trap people. There are some good people in Jax.

grindem

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Where do you live? If you are near Gator Skeet a Nd Trap in Gainesville we have both monthly ATA shoots plus the only Olympic Bunker in the state.

Tom

5. grindem

grindem Member

Gator is about the same distance. I just was exploring all options. Thanks

grindem

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

Grindem, depending on where you live, there is an ata shoot in Port St Joe, and also in Tallahassee. Mike

7. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

You better have deep pockets to shoot there, back in the late 90's my dad and I stopped in on vacation to shoot some. We were charged 7.50 a round back then. It was 2.50 to 5.00 a round in my neck of woods. Just so you know when we go on vacation we take a couple cases of shells to shoot. Think I shot 4 rounds. It would be nice if some gun clubs would at least give small discount if your a member of another gun club. Keith

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Flager has a nice trap program in place. Also, the Volusia club near Daytona Race track has started throwing ATA targets.

9. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I'm a member at JAX. The information given above regarding the former JAX trap shooters is both wrong and far from the entire story. I'm not going to spread any more gossip about JAX so I will just say that the problems are mostly if not entirely political and typical of the trap shooters versus the skeet shooters issues that are common in many places. The current group of board members are skeet shooters and therefore favor the skeet programs rather than the trap programs, which I suppose is natural.

I personally find it both sad and disappointing that a facility as nice as the Jacksonville Gun Club doesn't choose to utilize all of it's assets to further the business of the shooting sports. They have one of the nicest trap set ups anywhere.

I don't shoot skeet and since the club has little or no interest in promoting trap shooting I can't see much purpose in renewing my membership when it comes due. I do shoot there every weekend and frequently I'm the only trap shooter there. Prior to the change in club management there were many trap shooters that shot there on a regular basis.

Flagler gun club has a trap program and I have been told that the new Trap Manager is putting together a new program that will offer frequent registered shoots. There are rumors that the club at Yulee is going to expand it's trap program, also.

I expect that eventually Jacksonville will once again seek revenue from it's trap fields and at some point in the future will take up with the ATA again. It's a nice club and would be perfect if it had a trap program. Politics and personal grudges always change over time, so hopefully there may someday again be a healthy trap program at Jacksonville.

Bob Cade

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob, Sorry to hear of your problem up there. "Things change, always do". Your right over time they'll be back. I have to give you a "A" for effort in hanging in there. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Mr. Cade:

I am a long time Life Member and former Board Member of Jax Gun Club. I am aware of many of the issues regarding this recent problem. I share your concern regarding the ATA Trap Program. I spoke with Larry Rolfe, Club President last night on this issue. He stated that it is the intent of the board to restart the ATA Trap program. They are actively looking for a member to run it. Are you interested in being that person? If you want to see ATA Trap grow at Jacksonville Gun Club please step forward and be part of the future and not stuck in the past.

Tom

12. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Mr. Baber,

There is nothing I would like to see more that a healthy trap program at Jacksonville Gun Club. I can assure you I'm not stuck in the past either. I'm more than willing to move on to newer venues when the past or politics become detrimental to the services provided.

First, I'm not sure I'm even qualified to run the trap program as I am not a life member of the club. Secondly, I am not retired, I am a local business owner and by necessity my first priority is to my business.

As a businessman and a member of the club I have, however, often wondered why the club management isn't running the trap program? When the former trap chairman resigned and a volunteer could not be found within the membership, why wouldn't the duties of running the program become the responsibility of the Club Management? In the world of business that is how things are normally done so that the sales and revenue streams are not interrupted.

There are four Officers on the Board Directors, ten additional Directors, and five program chairpersons, less the trap chairperson who resigned. Surely there is enough management skill among those 18 people to run the trap program until a full time chairperson can be found? That's not a criticism, just a question I've wondered about.

I enjoy shooting trap. It is the one time in my week when everything else in my life goes on the back burner. I like being a member. Those are the main reasons why I joined the club in the first place. If I have to "step up" and run the program in order for there to be a program, then due to my limited time available for shooting, I would be most inclined to look for another club to become a member of. In a few years, when I retire, then I may have more time to do something of that nature. Until then I really just want to enjoy my membership and shoot trap in an ATA program.

Bob Cade

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Jax Gun Club is membership owned and operated like many Gun clubs. The membership is the management. It depends on volunteers like yourself to run most of the programs. As you are aware the Trap Chairman resigned. They are looking for a replacement. You may not be that replacement but stay tuned the program will restart and will be better that the past. It may take a little time but it will happen.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jax trap shoot

trap and gun jacksonville fl

trap guns jacksonville

trap shooting jax

www trap shooting jax florida