1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jan. 2009 - Could this happen?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Inauguration Day 2009 - could the new President, as one of the first orders of business, issue an executive order closing the registration process and government office (instant background check) for firearms? I can think of one candidate who resents the gun lobby and owes it nothing, while owing the anti-gun lobby a bunch. Clinton used an executive order this way re: gays in the military. Scary. Regards, Ed

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Wow! 172 readers of this comment and no opinions? Guess no one but me thinks it can happen...and maybe it can't. Regards, Ed

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Clinton's Executive Order was a policy change without changing the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The "don't ask, don't tell" policy allegedly prevented practicing homosexuals from coming out of the closet, voluntarily, or otherwise. It did not reverse the legal UCMJ policy of discharging homosexuals for open homosexual behavior.

If Obama were to become President, he wouldn't be able to eliminate the instant background check or close the office. Those are provided for in Federal law, passed by Congress. I would imagine that an astute lawyer would be in Federal Court that day getting a temporary restraining order. The President also has to pass court scrutiny if he wants to impound Federal operating funds, which is what Obama would have to try and do to close a Federal office.

Presidents have, without a great deal of success, tried impounding Congressionally-authorized funds. Federal courts really frown on back-door veto attempts.

Best,
    Dennis

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

NICS has indeed been closed, for "computer software updates". This happened on a weekend when there were about four gun shows in Tenn. NO TRANSFERS.

Just something (else) to think about.

5. chessney

chessney TS Member

(coughing tuna).... I smell a troll!!!..Ziggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.