1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jamming Remington's 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blackhawk UH-60, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackhawk UH-60

Blackhawk UH-60 TS Member

Jamming Remington

Just purchased a Remington 1100 Classic Trap shotgun. First time out of the box using RIO 12ga. ammo, and had jamming and cycling problems in the receiver when the shell was ejecting. Distributor's solution is to try different ammo's to find one that is compatible.
    Has anyone had this problem with 1100's or RIO Ammo?
    Appreciate any thoughts on this problem and possible solutions.

Blackhawk UH-60

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

a brand new one not ejecting?? give it back to them. mine is 20 years old and works fine on new shells or reloads,

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What are the specs on the RIO shells?

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Did you clean teh barrel and swab out the ports with a paper clip or something? Lots of times there is so much funk in the barrels it might have an impact. That gun should cycle all but the very lightest factory ammo. 2 3/4 dram 1 ounce work fine in all my 1100's. Jeff

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Gun Scrubber the heck out of the inside of the receiver, wipe out all the anti corrosion junk, reoil and try again.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I had the same problem with one a few years back. The knock-down pin really played havoc until I ground it down and had a wire catcher/deflector installed.

I would give the gun a good scrubbing before doing anything else.

ss

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Really scrub/clean the chamber with fine steel wool; try brass headed factory shells like Rem STS. Perhaps the steel heads on the Rios are hanging up in tight chamber. Regards, Ed

8. Blackhawk UH-60

Brian,
    The specs are: 1 1/8 oz. and 2 3/4 Dr.Eq.

9. Blackhawk UH-60

Steve,
    Like I mentioned, this is right out of the box. All shells cycled into the chamber OK, once fired the bolt would come back, then go forward and smash the shell sideways. Some of the shells would not blow back the bolt into its most rear position, and I had to lock it into postion and pick out the shell with a shell picker. Then the last was a total jam, where the whole would not cycle backwards.
    I was using RIO's with 1 1/8th oz. and 2 3/4 Dr.Eq.
    Thank's

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Brand new?? Give it back to the dealer. There are too many of them working well for all of us with various shells. Hopefully the dealer will swap it out or get it serviced in a hurry. Keep us informed on how you make out.Good luck, Bob

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

Take off the barrel and make sure the ring set and rubber O-ring are in the right position.

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree about the O-ring & rubber gas block. Also,as per Remington engineer that developed the 11-87,keep the mag tube wet with a good oil. Wet a piece of paper towel with something like WD-40 & wipe the tube all over. People will scream about how wrong this is,I have been running 1100/11-87's for 37-38 yrs & always done this & never hurt a gun and ALWAYS had the run. Yes,a lot of junk collects on the tube,just wipe it down every few 100 rounds.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Also make sure the gaps in the gas rings are 180 degrees apart. If they are aligned or close to being aligned, excessive gas can leak past.

The loads you are using shot cycle 1100 trap guns just fine. That's the ideal load for the 1100 trap barrel. However, it would be a good test to try another load or two from different manufacturers, including Remington, just to get that question out of the way, as it will probably be asked.

If you know someone who has an 1100, you can try swapping the barrel, as well as the trigger group, to isolate the problem.

Or... see if the dealer will swap the gun. If not, contact Remington at the link above or call (800) 243-9700.

14. Blackhawk UH-60

Hi Brian of Oregon,
    Yes, I often thought about the O rings being 180degrees apart. Today I tried a different brand of shells...Winchester 2 3/4dram and 1 oz. and all of the 25 shot put through gun would not cycle back the bolot. In the clubhouse a member looked at gun and he tried 3 dram 1 1/8oz. shot and it worked fine and blew out the shells.
    I took the gun home and found out that using a 0.081 drill bit I cleaned out the two gas port holes which I found to have burs on the end of it.
    To this stage, I am going to return to club and cycle a few more boxes to see what happens.
    Thanks for your input, it was well appreciated and very knowledgeable.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you have ever run Rio's across a chronograph it would not surprise you. I found as much as 120 fps less than advertised. Some loads listed on the box in the 1200 range were in the 1080 range. Now I know why they advertise soft recoil.

If you are going to shoot 1oz loads in a 1100, Remington will recommend you shoot 3-1/4 dram to ensure proper cycling.

Ajax

16. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=212672&Messages... Try this thread out. RIO's do funny things sometimes, but I'd have to agree that the 1100 is almost unstoppable absent a broken part or gunk. Pull the gun completely down and look at the slide parts, e.g., the forearm support, etc. It may be broken on one side and that would cause the problem you describe. One other thing to check is the recoil spring going back into the stock. Make certain it is moving freely. I know the gun is new but it wouldn't be outside the norm to see a failure in a new part. No doubt the cleaning is critical to this particular gun. The argument of wet vs dry depends on your environment. It seems the 1100 picks up more powder fowling with higher quantities of lube so I would keep the lube to a minimum. I wouldn't run the gun completely dry. The seal cannot have any cracks or nicks as this will cause failures. I agree with the guys above on all the other things to look into including the orientation of the gas rings. I've shot 1 oz loads all day and not had a failure. This includes the softer powders. I don't think it's the loads.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rio and Wolf have been seen by me to be not very compatible with 1100's. I have mine regulated for 7/8 oz loads and it will not cycle Wolf 1 & 1/8 oz.

You are on the right track with the ports. But I would use a one ounce 1200 fps load as the test vehicle. The imports do not have very good quality control.

HM

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, eliminate the shell as the possible problem. Shoot some new or good reloads with AA hulls or STS hulls. RIO hulls will not work in my K-80 and they could be the problem.

Pat Ireland

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

All three of my 1100's will cycle 7/8 ounce reloads with 16.4 grains of 700 X every time at any temp. We sold rio shells at out small club and although there were no miss-fires about half of the shells sounded "punky" when fired in cold weather. They guys quit buying them and we no longer buy that brand.

20. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I shoot very light reloads in my 1100 andhave never had a problem!16gr reddot and 1oz lead,My 1100 magnum will not load the second 2 3/4 round as it is too short to unlock the shell lifter( I'm not sure what the correct name of the part is ) But my 2 3/4 1100 cycles anything I put in it and it is 20 years old. Mike moloney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 remington jamming
remington 110 jamming
remington 1100 cycling problems
remington 1100 deflector wire

remington 1100 jamming problems

remington 1100 jams after 50 rounds
remington 1100 shotgun jams
remington classic trap ejection problems