1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jammer XL-1 Wad Uses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill1949, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Has anybody used the Jammer XL-1 Purple 1 oz. wad from Downrange? Like some info about how good or how bad it works. How is it in cold weather? Thanks, Bill

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

If this is the wad with 8 petals, they are a REAL PAIN to use...the petals bend over and do not readily insert into the hulls. The loads broke targets OK, but I used up the one bag I bought and swore off the 8 petal wads for good. Best Regards, Ed

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Hmmmmm- Just ran 24 out of 25 from the 27 yd line today using these in A-A hulls pushed by 20 gr of GreenDot. I have found these to pattern very well, but as was mentioned, eight petal wads are a tad more difficult to reload with. I guess some people have more problems than others. HTH - AndyH

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've just bought the purple 1oz and the blue 1 1/8. Having trouble with the wad hanging up in my Win AA's. Both the old and the HS. Also the grays. Not seating properly. If I take the shot out and rotate the wad a little, as I'm pushing down, I hear a click then it seats all the way. Not every shell. Say one or two out of three. Dave T.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

i have had a few problems like DTrykow has mentioned too with the AA HS hulls, not with the old compression formed hulls though.

I swtiched to the downrange DRA-12 pink wad to eleiminate the problem in the AA HS hulls.

Mostly I have used it in STS and gun club hulls, one bag of the 8 petal ones and then I switched to the 4 petal "original" version.

the main load I have been using it with is 1 oz of shot powered by 18.3 grains of American Select or 17.2 of Claydot with winchester primers. I use if for trap and for sporting clays.

6. jhh

jhh Member

One of our club members likes this wad, I tried a bag of them and they shot allright, used STS hulls. After mentioning to him the wad finger problem he told me that if you put the wads in a mesh bag and put them in the drier for a few minutes the heat will make the wad fingers open up and they are easier to load. Haven't tried it yet, mabee some of you will want to. John Hancock

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am a Downrange dealer, and I will give you my opinion on the Jammer XL-1. I really like the wad! I am still shooting it for my first shot of doubles. As mentioned above, I have a local customer that is shooting them in Caps. He is a 24 yard shooter, and practices at the 27. I have seen him have some very impressive breaks in practice with them. My load for this is 18.0 grains of Alliant Promo, Chedditte 209 primer, Jammer XL-1 wad, and 8 shot in a STS hull. I can't comment on loading this wad in the AAHS or AA hull. I am @ the Grand, but when I get back I will try! I had a thread on my load about 2 months ago (do a search under my screen name, and it should pop up). I have shot this load with great results for 16 yard singles. As far as loading a 8 petal wad, alot of people complain about it. I do not have a problem with it. I use a MEC hydraulic and a 600 JR. I place the wad on the seating stem, not in wad guide. If you place wad in guide and press, I can see how it is a problem. If you run wad in on seating stem, then use press it is easier. Let me know if you need anything or any help.

Yours in shooting,
    Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"
    (270) 804-5454

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I use 19.5 grains of green dot in the STS hull and W209,I shoot this from all yardage and if you do your part the target breaks!
    Depending on what type of reloader you use you may have some problems! If you are using a spolar or RCBS you should have zero problems,If you are using a PW you will have a problem with some of the wads if they are not flared out!That's where the mesh bag in the dryer comes in. The mec loaders are OK because you feed it onto the feeding stem as stated above.PJ

9. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrane xl1 wad problems on rcbs grand

jammer xl-1