1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson Hole fishing info needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by C-Money, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Money

C-Money Member

I fished above 7000' on some small creeks before my fathers elk hunt. Fishing was superb! Vrey nice cutthroats. You should not have a hard time finding some fishing once there. Take a horse ride in and make a day of it would be my suggestion.

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It's a bit early in the season and they might not answer, but as a start, call Exum Mountain Guides in Jackson.

The famous Gerry Spence Lawfirm is in Jackson, and has been there forever. I bet somebody in that office would be glad to talk fishing.

BTW, Skype w/computer lets one talk almost for free to any location in the U.S., makes important "research" painless on the wallet.

3. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

ZGun,

Try the Gros Ventre for fishing. Not as crowded, great views of the mountains and check out Kelly, Wyoming, on the way to the Gros Ventre park, great view of Three Sisters Peak. If you are camping, not near as crowded as Jellystone.

Van

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

...and this is not kidding around, but prepare for grizzly bears; learn to use caution and store food very carefully. Years ago, I camped 40 miles east of the Grand Teton National Park. A lady in the campground had to climb a tree due to her being chased by a grizzly. Tragically, she fell out of the tree and died. That same week, another person in the campground was scrambling on scree etc. and didn't know what he was doing. He was killed in a fall. My friend and I were successful via a guided trip to the top of the Grand Teton by Exum via the classic Exum route.

Bottom line: There is very unspoiled and wild country in that part of the Wyoming; preparation and knowledge, and, perhaps, a fishing guide to start will help insure a successful and safer fishing trip.

5. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

PM sent with Jackson Wyoming ideas.
    Art

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

There are several fly shops in JH that offer guide service. Start with the Orvis shop on the south end of town then move to the area around the famous Antler Arches there are 3 shops in that area. Their names slip me now but that is a good start. You might want to call them about now if you want to book a float trip. If you are going to go there in July, you might catch the Salmon Fly hatch. People on here talk about "DEET" and mosquitos, With salmon flies you need full combat gear, they are as big as small humming birds.

Chuck

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Do some of the "deet" products still attack nylon? Mountain climbers that I knew were very careful to keep deet-based products, partuarly Cuters brand away from nylon ropes, etc. The product was a solvent and is known to weaken some ropes one depends upon for safety, eats expensive outdoor clothes, etc.

One trick to keep the bugs away and not biting one as much is to take vitamin B-6 or B-12 pills. Old trick that may work for some. Sorta like taking a diuretic to ward off altitude sickness. Diamox was/is an old standby for that in the high country...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.