1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack West Stocks- New vs Old?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jtf650, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtf650

jtf650 Member

I guess the long awaited new version of the Jack West stock has been out a while now. What's the general consensus- is it better, the same, or worse than the original model? For that matter, how is it different? In the photos, the pistol grip looks different- anything else? James Fawcett

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

And what _is_ a Jack West stock, while you are at it, please. Start with wood or plastic I guess.

Neil

3. jtf650

jtf650 Member

This is the (new) one I'm asking about. Other than the old version of the plastic stock, I didn't know there were any others. Live and learn. James Fawcett

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a new one yet, but I have the old one. Mine is hollow. I heard that the new ones were not.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

James; We have 3 of the old style being used in our family, one of which is used for duck hunting in a salt water environment. The other two are on trap guns. The one thing I see right off is the toe of the recoil pad has been reprofiled. The early pads needed a night in the freezer and an early morning visit to a grinder. They grabbed fabric too much when mounting. A few coatings of clear nail polish to the area at the top of the pad made for easier mounting and lasted about one season. The bosses that the pads screwed to were a little undersized and could be stripped out if overtightened but easily fixed. A few years ago I "rescued" an older BT-99 from a barrel of .22 cheapos at a gunshow. Upon closer inspection I could see the Jack West company logo sticker under the 4-way adjustable comb he had done to the original Browning stock. His work is well regarded here in the Northwest. Mine are not for sale.

6. Beavs

Beavs TS Member

The newest and last variation of the Jack West Stocks has a built in grip cap at the bottom of the pistol grip. Guys with big meat hooks were always slipping off the bottom of the old style stock, thus it is a good improvement. The new stock is indeed a solid core and it weighs a bit more compared to the old stock but weight in a gun is a great way to reduce recoil. The recoil pad is identical to the old stock as Jack has a number of new takeoffs left over from the old stocks. I have two of the old stocks on my 11-87's now but have a new style in the case to use soon. Personally I find the weight, color, and checkering to be ideal on the new stock, just gotta get in painted Remington Green soon and get it on the gun!!!!......Oh by the way Jack is my father!!!.....Ride hard, shoot straight and always speak the truth......Brian.

7. 3200

3200 TS Member

Name, rank and serial number? err . . . Address, web site, or phone number? Maybe details on what models these stocks are available for and pricing.

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Brian,
    How did that Diamond Grade 101 that I traded to your dad work out for you? Richard

9. Beavs

Beavs TS Member

Website is jwstocks.com see the ads which have been running in Shotgun Sports and Skeet Shooting Review for over 10 yrs. The buttstock is a universal fit for the 870, 1100, and 1187. Forend is specific to each model and for $250 the set comes assembled with the adjustable hardware ready to be bolted onto your gun. Buttstock is fully adjustable (up and down, side to side). Dual palmswells and a completely improved feel to the pistol grip make this much better than the factory stock. Padded combs, custom lengths w/pads, and extra tall pins (for high ribs) are available. Now the warning: Jack does not have email but he will return your calls as soon as he can get off the golf course!. He is semi-retired and works alone (always has!) He is not the fastest but he has been building, modifying and selling custom stocks for over 26 years. This is still the only synthetic adjustable stock set on the market and hundreds of the sets have been sold!!.......Jack appreciates all the support he has recieved from TS.com members....Thanks, Brian.......

10. Beavs

Beavs TS Member

Richard- I just traded the DG for a pristine 3200 (updates done, Special Trap, 30 in. soon to be IC and Mod) I could never get past the fixed full on the top which is not ideal for my Sporting Clays passion. A gentleman in Salem really wanted the gun and I now have acquired a "real team green O/U" which has always been a favorite of mine. There is no magic in these shotguns but the 3200 will get all my ability out........I hope!!.........Brian.......

11. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I have purchased several stocks from him and he is a first class guy with first class product. You will not be disapointed.
    ftlupton

12. Beavs

Beavs TS Member

Thank you for the kind word Mr. Lupton, Jack thanks you........Brian......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jack west stock review