1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Barts 3 shot method

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fcd67, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fcd67

fcd67 Member

Just curious if anyone uses this method of trap shooting and how successful you are.
    Thanks
    Sean

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

This came up from google.

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Yikes! How about this?

Danny

4. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Let's have a report from a shooter who has tried the 3 shot method. Thanks,
    JJJ

5. fcd67

fcd67 Member

That's the article I read. I figured with all the people on this forum someone must be using it. I found it interesting and am looking for some solid fundamentals to start with, mainly in regards to foot placement and hold point. Right now I hold by the top of the house and I probably don't have my feet lined up correctly all the time.
    Sean

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I worked with Jack and his family at their store in Glen Burnie...he is an excellent shooter and coach....I sold and fitted many target gun for our clientelle around Md and DC...Have not seen his cd so cant comment but like I said he is good enough to warrant paying attention

7. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Does he (in his article) have some confusion with the terms “parallel” and “perpendicular”?

Example ---from his article – “A quick note before we proceed….When I say that your feet should be parallel, I’m referring to the leading edge of the concrete border on the station. Therefore, when I say parallel, it means your feet should be parallel to that edge; it’s our baseline for foot position.

Station 1

On Station 1, you should be standing so that your feet are nearly parallel, pointing toward Station 5. Your left should be almost touching that concrete edge. Your right foot will be back 2-3 inches – so that the toes of your right foot are at about at the ball of your left foot………………….”

And he says to turn the feet a few more inches to the right on each station…………. Sounds like that if you do that you will almost be facing backwards on station 5……..Or am I missing something there.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Calvin,

If you can, elaborate on PhDTrap's question about foot position, especially on station one. I looked at the DVD preview, and he seems to have his feet parallel to each other, slightly facing station five. (Preview shows him on station three, I believe.) I believe when he says "pointing toward station five" he means slightly toward station five, instead of pointing directly out in the field. Can't be parallel to the front of the station, like he seems to be saying, because that would mean you have to shoot hard lefts from station one over your shoulder or between your legs (with apologies to Dickgtax). When you keep turning, per his instructions, and you get to station five your feet are 45 degrees to the front of the station.

Is it possible he means feet parallel to each other and perpendicular to the front of the cement on station one? I was never good at maff either.

Danny

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

You guys are losing me here. He is saying parallel to the front of the post. On Post 1, that would be square to the house, or actually a little bit closed. A little too open for me, but it's done all the time.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Smart guy, He is shooting a Blaser. LOL

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Here's his article.

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Parallel to the front edge of the post and facing station 5 from station #1? Wow, those hard lefts on #1 must be a real treat! Seems like you would be screwing yourself into the ground trying to get caught up to the bird.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Well, this could be the best kept secret in trap. LOL

There is a Jack Bart from MD that registered some ATA targets a few years ago. He averaged about 91 in singles and 70 in doubles - made it to the 21 yard line . No ATA targets for over 10 years. I hope it is a different Jack Bart.

The ability to shoot is not always needed to be a coach. He may have run into medical issues - who knows.

Don Verna

14. leadvail

leadvail Member

I wouldn't spend my time and money to take lessons or buy a video from someone stuck on the 21. Off course, it could be a different Jack Bart. Would the real Jack Bart please stand up and show us your accomplishments. Grand Slams. State Titles, All American Awards.....could go a long way in free advertising for you.

Besides, lQQk at all the advice you get here for free!

Ha, Bob

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

There is a Jack Bart in MD who has his own gunshop outside of Baltimore and he also teaches shooting lessons in the MD/PA area. I never came across information on him producing DVDs or writing articles on shooting.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

pretty basic fundamentals. best part is NOT thinking about it, just shoot it!

17. joe kuhn

I tried his stance in a practice round last night and went right back to having a line through my toes be parallel with the left most target path. That's what I was taught and that's what feels best to me. I believe it gives me the best moves for all possible angles.

As Jack suggest, from station 1, with my left foot on the edge of the pavement and my right foot 2 or 3 inches back, it felt way too tight for the right most targets.

I do like what he said about holding high and looking low, for a horizontal move to the target. Mostly horizontal that is...

And I tried shooting the left side of the target on 1 and 2, the center from 3 and the right side on 4 and 5. That's just too complicated for me in those split seconds. I shoot to center punch each target and am able to get smoke all the way around the different stations as long as I'm leaning forward on my left foot. Frank Hoppe taught me that and I forgot it two times in a row last night...and I caught myself coming out of my gun. (Need more practice.)

However, all instruction should be that concise.

Agree with EuroJoe - the best part is move to the target and shoot. There are lots of other things involved in order to do that...

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That method of shooting relies on gun speed alone. Other than speaking of looking at the left side and right side of targets leading edges, it's a hurry your shot technique with timing. There's many ways of shooting a scattergun with decent results, even from the hip with enough of practice!

I think I recall that Frank Little once said, he had three different seen(leads) he used in his bird/bead relationship for breaking clays. Frank Little also became a well known shot on the tougher angles of old too! Targets with less angle allows gun speed to work and that's what that 3 shot business is all about. Nothing new there.

Hap

19. joe kuhn

Thanks Hap. I think speed has become a little too important to me lately and I need to get back to the vision aspect. Will move eye hold to a more middle ground. Was just above the house. I've been trying just below my gun hold which I feel reinforces a quick move although it seems to support smoke. Next I'll try something in between.

I wish someone would characterize shooting styles so us newer guys have a yardstick of knowledge.

Joe

20. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Maybe I am doing it all wrong but I never worry about leads. If I do my mount procedure correctly, have my eyes in correct focus,get the gun still--my eyes up(quiet eye) and don't jump the call or anticipate bird direction I probably won't miss--the gun knows where to go.....SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3 shot trap
3 shot trap shooting
3 shot trap shooting dvd
3 shot trapshooting
discount 3 shot trap shooting dvd
jack bart 3 shot trap
jack bart 3 shot trap shooting

jack bart trap shooting