1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

J. Stevens 22-L.R. 414

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LFT687, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I'm just a shotgun shooter, but I just picked up an old J. Stevens 22 single shot. I liked the looks of it. I think it's called a rolling block. The only markings are TRADE MARK STEVENS REG U.S. Pat. Off & FGN on the side of the receiver, 414 under the lever on the receiver, 71055 on the bottom of the receiver; J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A. on the right side of the barrel, and 22-L.R. on the left. The only other markings are on the left sidw a P ina circle on the barrell near the receiver and an I in a circle on the receiver near the barrell. The forend wood runs to about 5 inches from the end of the barrell. It has swivels a few inches from the end of the stock and about halfway down the forend. I've looked online for info, but most of the ones listed have a model name associated with it. Anyone have any info on this type of gun? Target or hunting? Safe to shoot with today's ammo? Once I figure out how to I'll try to post photos.

Dave

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "IDEAL ARMORY MODEL No. 414. This was a 26-inch round-barrel model made up on the 44 type action for .22 Long Rifle gallery or club shooting. The regular plain No. 1 lever was used on this model, as was also the automatic ejector. The stock was a straight-grip type, with hard-rubber shotgun butt plate. The forearm was a semi-beavertail type, with a band and swivel for a sling strap. A swivel on the butt stock was also provided. The fore end extended beyond the swivel to within a few inches of the muzzle, but was no band at the tip. The sights were Rocky Mountain front and Lyman receiver, the latter being made especially for this model. This rifle weighed about 8 pounds with sling, and was listed at $12."<br>
    - From the James J. Grant "Single Shot Rifles" book.

This is not a rolling block action. It is a lever actuated falling block. The serial number really means diddly squat, because Stevens was constantly changing serial number sequences, adding letters, deleting letters, using just numbers, then mixing up the sequence. The 44 action is a full size action, not a "boys" action like the smaller Favorites, though they share a common design style. The weight of the rifle will affirm that.

It's not unusual to find that someone has drilled and tapped the barrel for scope blocks, or to find the sights have been replaced. After all, these were target rifles. This version just had a military style musket stock on it. It's in the same family as the 417 Walnut Hill.

As long as the bore is good and the action is reasonably tight there is no problem shooting .22LR ammo in it. The 44 action was used for rounds more powerful than the .22 LR. However, I would be prudent and restrict use to target and subsonic loads only. Not so much that the action cannot take it, but that these are old rifles and you don't want to beat up the action. It was originally designed for the velocity range covered by target loads. Keep in mind that the ammo used in it might have been corrosive, so use a gentle bore cleaner and a nylon brush, not a metal brush.

For more pictures and info, do a google image search for: stevens armory model

Update:

Here's a thread on the ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Association) website with some decent photos of three unmolested Model 414s. These are the ones "Capt. RJM posted. These show variations in the buttplate. The other three shown have aftermarket buttstocks on them.

3. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Brian,
    Thanks for a ton of info. Mine doesn't look nearly as good as the ones on the ASSRA website, but I hope I look half as good when I get to be that age! Can't wait to try it out.
    dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

j stevens arms and tool model 414

shooting the steven 414

steven 414 serial number

stevens 414 armory model

stevens 414 armory model parts receiver block

stevens model 414 armory model target rifle

stevens model 414 barrel

stevens model 414 stock