1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

J & P Custom Products-Springs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I ordered a set for my Browning Citori Plus yesterday figuring I could afford to gamble $25. Has anyone else used them and got any opinions good, bad or indifferent?

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I put their top lever spring and bottom firing pin spring in both my Brownings. The top lever spring is a little tight for a while and the firing pin spring is, well... a spring.

I won't use over-strength mainsprings. They don't really address the cause of misfires in the bottom barrel; The firing pin can extend only so far when the hammer strikes it and wacking the end of the firing pin bore with more force isn't going to change that in any way that's good.

The factory springs are fine for these guns.

Carol Lister

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I purchased a browning citori kit from him last year when they first hit ts.com
    all has been good 3000 rounds so far

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good to hear, the top lever has always been my main problem with the PLUS

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Because the firing pin has a limited travel is exactly why a more powerful hammer spring can help with missfires. A longer firing pin can help too.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

We have found that longer firing pins have to be almost custom fit to their receiver. When the firing pin is in the "fired" position, the pin spring is pushing it back against the hammer. Measuring the how far it extends from the receiver face with the receiver still on the stock doesn't tell how far it actually extends when striking the primer and doesn't give an indication of how much longer it needs to be to function correctly. That measurement needs to be made by removing the stock and measuring the protrusion of the pin while pushing it forward from the hammer end.

The first few bottom pins our gunsmith made eventually revealed themselves to be too long when they punched primers in both factory and reloaded rounds. We eventually ended up using longer pins in some guns than in others. There doesn't appear to be one length of "longer" firing pin that corrects one problem in all guns without creating another.

Carol Lister

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Good Springs, much improved lock up.

GS

8. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I like my J&P springs. You don't have to get your own, but ya can't have mine!

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.