1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

J.C.Higgins

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JJJ, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Many moons ago, on this site there was a thread concerning J.C.Higgins,from Sears.
    I tried without success to pull the thread up. It gave a telephone number
    that you called to return the bolt from their bolt action shotgun. While living in PA I lived among many.many Chinese. Most people called them Ringnecks. :) :)
    As a kid,in the LATE 1940s, I could work that bolt as fast as any living mortal.
    In fact,at that time you could not use a semi-auto shotgun in Pennsylvania. I was checked twice by game wardens who thought I was shooting a semi. Now,to my reason for the thread. I have two of these guns,I will have to dig them out,scrape off the rust,but I believe they were models 5831 & 5838.
    Can you supply me with info? If I remember correctly,you just sent the bolt into Sears.
    Any help, will be appreciated.
    Joe Jordan

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Sent the bolt in a few years ago from mine and received a check for $160.00 from sears, asked them if my 16 guage one was affected and they said no only the 12 guage ones. What would happen or could happen was that the bolt would come out backwards and hit you in the eye. I walked in a Bar one night and sat down and looked at the man next to me , wow did he ever have a black eye I asked him what happned and he told me that he shot his J. C. Higgins 12 guage and the Bolt came out and hit him. I thought that he made it up but a month later the recall was in Outdoor Life magazine.

Trap-4

3. twotimer

twotimer Member

JJJ I'm ten years your junior. My first shotgun was a J.C. Higgins 20ga. bolt action. Like you, I hunted those Chinese daily. My clam to fame is I got one on the 3rd shot. Yes you can work those bolts fast! Used to put 7 1/2 in the chamber, 6 next then 5's Mike

4. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Yes Sears did have a good rebate of $160 for the bolt and they paid the shipping but in about 2005 they changed that from $160 to a $50 Sears gift card and you had to pay the shipping. The Wiki link above tells about it. If the phone number is incorrect I have the number somewhere.

I sold 10 of them to Sears and they cut me off, after that my mom sent in 3 or 4 and I had another person or two send some. I hated that they changed it from 160 to 50 because I had just obtained 2 more that I was going to sell them but I am not destroying the guns for $50.

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

5838 jc higgins