1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** IWO JIMA D-DAY FEBRUARY 19, 1945 ***

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Fox32, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Today marks 67 years since American troops landed on Iwo Jima to secure the island for their airstrip for our heavy bombers that could not make it back to Saipan and the Marianna Islands. The taking of Iwo would be the beginning of the end for Japan as now our heavy bombers were within easy reach of the Japan mainland. We lost almost 7,000 Marines and 12,000 wounded while Japan litteraly fought to the death while suffering 20,000 killed and less than 100 taken prisoner! While we may banter among us about 8's or 9's, P guns or K kuns, I feel that the one common thread among all of us is the love of our country and the patriotism that we all share. In todays generation our kids will not be taught about Iwo Jima, the Axis of Evil or the many other great victories that preserved freedom for the world. It is up to our generation to never let the Greatest Generation be forgotten. I implore you to do your part and teach your kids and family about what freedom is and what is costs. I would suggest Flags of our Fathers as a great read about Iwo Jima and Flyboys is an incredible book as well.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If I remember the history right the the Gen's thought it would only be a few week battle. It turned out to be a far longer battle. I think 3 months??? All those island battles weren't as easy as the Gen's thought. By fighting on all these islands trying to get closer to Japan was one reason to drop the two bombs on Japan. They after looking over how the Jap's had dug in on the island and how they fought they decided that the Jap's had 4 years to dig in on Japan far worst then the islands.

If we did get to Japan just on our side alone would have been 1 mill killed and wounded. The two bomb saved alot of lives then it killed. Thanks to all of our vets we have what we have today. Thanks one and all for your service.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

An unbelievable accomplishment by those men! Hats off to all of them.

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Flags of Our Fathers was an excellent book.

5. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Russ, you are correct, Flags of our Fathers is a great read. You need to get FLYBOYS written by the same author. WOW!!! Is all I can say about FLYBOYS.

6. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

God Bless those of the Greatest Generation and their incredible sacrafices for the good of this country and the world. If we had to fight that war in this day and age I,m not sure we would be victorious. Thanks again to all you WWII Veterans.

7. Loyac

Loyac Member

God Bless every last one of these heroes. John

8. snkypete

snkypete Member

James Bradley wrote both Flags of Our Fathers and Flyboys. Both excellent books.The first part of Flyboys is a great, quick history of Japan and their evolving culture that lead them into WWII. It should be required reading for all History classes. Great author, two great books.

Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.