1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I've flinched for the last time!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I

Well I've been flinching on and off for about three years now. With two different guns. Tried many different methods to conquer the dreaded flinch. What put me over the edge was last night on my way to 75 straight and flinched on two birds and missed them both. Time for a release trigger, I guess. I don't flinch consistantly(sometimes not for 10 rounds) which lead me to beleive I could beat it. Anyway had enough of playing around. It's the only thing I haven't tried. Wish me luck. Dave T.

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Have you got eye floaters?

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Try someones gun first unless you have already . I did that when I knew there may be no other way to stop a flinch but I was wrong . They do happen every now and then and it`s usually a push with the opposite hand . Rarely was there a trigger finger flinch but in 30 years of shooting I can count on one hand those times . A gunsmith screwed my doubles gun release/pull so now I`m back to a pull trigger for doubles and I had a finger flinch Wednesday in practice

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dave..... Welcome to the fraternity. Don't worry about switching. Release triggers are state of the art now, and very reliable. You will be amazed that you didn't do it sooner..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

longshooter: Yes I do. Enlight'n me as to the relevance/connection. Dave T.

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Dave T,

When I went to a release, I did exactly what Vern said not to do. I could not release with "just my finger." Each time I tried to do it that way I would flinch worse than I did with a pull trigger. I had to let go by relaxing my entire hand. It wasn't pretty but even doing it the"wrong way" my scores were much improved over the pull trigger. I expect your scores will increase also. Good Luck.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

No you haven't! Well I hope you don't, but good luck!

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

If you have a floater in your dominant eye, it can cause a flinch due to your eyes crossing over on you. When a floater gets in the way, you unconciously switch to your non-dominant eye momentarily, causing you to be about three feet off the target. Your reaction is to correct the position of the gun, which is a violent movement "towards the bird", as seen by your non-dominant eye. This movement can seem like a recoil flinch, but it is not. I call it an eye flinch.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The ONLY way to be sure you never flinch again is to never pull.. or release a trigger again..

10. JES

JES Member

I got a small soft ball after taking a clinic from Leo and Randy Ross and when I said I felt I was poking at the bird they explained I was releasing more then the trigger I was amazed when I put the ball in my hand and moved the trigger finger the rest followed with exercising just the one finger it is better. You will not be sorry you switched, I would not be shooting today without a release!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.