1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ive been tinkering again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

They say idle hands are the devils play things...well I've created a monster. Tomorrow we shall see how it shoots. BYG
    [​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm gonna just go ahead and apologize to the entire Ljutic family.

-Gary

3. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Very interesting Gary. Let us know how you like that super rib! I have been considering such a project myself.

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

GW that was hilarious.

5. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Either put the butt pad on your stomach, or have a neck like a giraffe, interesting. Scott

6. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Sorry Gary, I thought it was your post, but I see its BYG's. Anyway let us know.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If Al saw it, he would weld the barrel shut!

Ajax

8. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Al Ljutic was a forward thinker and innovator like I am. Look at the designs of some of his guns, completely unconventional. If he were to see this gun I'm sure he would be trying to come up with ways to refine the design and get it on the production line. BYG

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Will it likely or unlikely work for those who have difficulties shooting high rib unsingles? My hunch is that it will work great for some, a big improvement, and terrible for others who have difficulties shooting a high rib unsingle. But....sure looks like this build is a worthy investigation.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You might be surprised how it shoots. I have a friend who did almost the exact thing with a BT99 and he is still shooting it years later and very well too

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You should have seen some of the ribs That I and my son had put on Ljutics and Brownings by Money Maker and they were attention drawers and some wanted to shoot them. My sons shot the highest at 30 Inches at 30 yards. It was a Ljutic Stainless Pro 3 I ended up with it but I had Jimmy Ljutic lower the rear of the rib to lower the POI to 22 inches at 40 yards, and I won the Indian Lake Kentucky shooting championship it was the Hobe Murdock- Dick Deckling Memorial shoot in 2007, I have the trophy on the wall above my computer as I write this.

I will say BYG and his dad have been experimenting with different style of ribs on various guns.

Mine are not really high post ribs but the rib on most of my guns are down on the Bbl and up at the rear to make it shoot higher like the one I just completed on my Browning XT Un-single here
    drlongshot_2008_0303165.jpg

drlongshot_2008_0303166.jpg

Gary Bryant
    Dr.Longshot

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Why don't you just get an O/U and shoot the bottom barrel? It would do the same thing and wouldn't look like it belongs in "Star Wars" LOL

Seriously, if you like hi rib guns that'll do the job.

Chuck

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I believe the Al Ljutic story, in fact or fiction, was thus: A customer complained about his monogun opening upon firing. The gun went back to Ljutic on more than one occasion. Al finally became frustrated with the owner and unconvinced that the gun was opening on firing. So he sent the gun back with the barrel welded to the action!!!

Is this urban myth or true? Inquiring mind here...

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Also heard a tale that Al Ljutic was shown, by a proud owner, a Ljutic that the owner had modified via a high rib and comb. This at the Grand. Al was angered, and said "ughh..." and threw the gun on the ground!

Don't know if this is true, or half true. I suspect the latter; a disdainful response without throwing the gun on the ground.

Nadine (proudly) told me that Al was one of the "Terman Kids"...children followed up from an early age 'cause they had a high IQ. This was to be a long term study, by Terman, a famous psychologist, to explore the belief that the hihgly intellectually gifted had more difficulties in life due to social pressures, difficulty to relate, and the like. Terman found that those with high IQ's, often the prototypes of those we label as "nerds" in this era, adjusted as well, and usually better, than the average person.

I guess that Al's life yielded an odd statistic and may have just ever so slightly skewed the results.

I post this with all due respect to Al and to a lady I've never met in person, but highly respect and like due to phone conversations over the years.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Look at the Browning Burlie Wilson is shooting, It has a Money Maker Rib On It
    I built this gun, shot it well, and have tried to buy it back from Burlie but no deal.

Ray Barnes set up the rib dimensions to my point of impact that I wanted which was quite high at the time 18-20 inches at 35 yards.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

For a shooter with a long neck that gun makes a lot of sense. I know one such shooter who bends his head over so far to get his face down on the stock that he is shooting out of the very tops of his eye sockets. The strain on his eyes must be terrific. He is inconsistent and I'm betting he would improve with such a design.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I've seen tall guys with long necks struggle like you mentioned. They usually end up with their neck stretched out like a turtle. A friend set up a bt 100 like that and had his gun painted like a John Deere. wierd Bill

18. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

High ribs are not just for the shooter with long necks if your goal is to have your head upright. People with high cheek bones are at a disadvantage bringing their eyes lower into the comb. Higer comb/rib allows those shooters to rotate their heads in a more upright position for better field of vision, even shooters with short or no necks.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.