1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

** I've Been Rubbing my Barrel **

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

And, no hair hasn't grown on my palm and I'm no more near sighted than before. I decided to polish my barrel with some compound. Something brown has come off and I don't know what it is. Doesn't look like rust and it's not oil. So, what is it?? Barrel shined up great but the brown stuff has me stumped.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inside or outside of barrel? HMB

3. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

As my old College proffesor exclaimed during a demonstration of static electricity with a carbon rod under his arm while furiously stroking it with a rabbit pelt "You've got to rub your rod until you get a charge".

I can't figure out why my lab partner and I were the only ones with our hands clapped over our mouths rolling on the ground with in stifled, grimacing laughter. It was the best we could do considering the circumstances.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

K-gun? It's part of the blueing process. My newer 32"'s are that way.

5. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

How long has it been since u cleaned it. Particles of dirt and debris float through the air, landing upon your barrel, and you cant see them because they are so small. It might be that who knows

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

IF the gun was re blued ?? But I have seen this a lot when Black Oxide was done instead of blue.

I had a couple of old British 303's black oxide treated and it took quite a while to get the brown-reddish gunk removed from the all the cracks and crannies.

Rock

Jim

7. ismah

ismah Member

Thanks for the comments. I clean the gun thoroughly after shooting every week. It's the outside of the barrel and there is no sign of rust. I use jewelry polishing compound and it has come out real nice. It's not the compound. Looks like the color of rust on my cotton ball. ???????

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Oxidation.

Jim C

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

ismah, why is that that your vehcile has a prescription windshield?

10. spritc

spritc Active Member

The only polish to use on a blued gun is Flitz and it shouldn't be used but once every couple of years. It supposedly will not hurt hot blued guns, but it will take cold blue right off the metal.

Steve

11. ismah

ismah Member

Bruce
    I don't get it. ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.