1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Time to Find a Perazzi Gunsmith

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hilton55, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

It

I just bought a Perazzi Mirage combo and want to send it off to a top gunsmith for a tune up, to re-blue the receiver, do some choke work and install a GraCoil unit. Obviously, it would be easier to have all the work done in one place. I just contacted Giacomo and they have a waiting time of about four to six weeks before they can touch the gun. My question is: is it worth the wait or is there another outfit that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
    John

2. joehunter

joehunter Member

If you want the gun to be as good as new I would wait on Giacomo Sporting. There are lots of good gunsmiths out there, but Giacomo Sporting is the best at Perazzi's. They are the Perazzi experts. There is a reason they are so busy, because they are the best.

Joey

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Doug Braker isn't too shabby when it comes to Perazzi's. I've seen photo's posed on this site of his high quality work. He's more noted as the "90T Guru", but I've seen his work on a lot of other gun makes aswell.

He goes by "GunDr" in this site.

ss

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Doug can do anything they can do

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John..... For a total tune up on the Perazzi, Doug Braker is as good as they come. Excellent work, fast turn around, and won't break the bank. He is the only one I will let touch my Perazzi right now. He can also handle the bueing job. As for choke work, you didn't say if you wanted choke tubes installed, or just want your chokes re-worked. Either way, I would only go to two places: Tom Wilkinson or Kerry Allor! They are the best. I don't know if Doug can do the GraCoil unit, but, if not, call Ken Rucker, (Speedbump Stockworks) in Texas. Great work, great guy! He also has a unit "like" the GraCoil, but, I think a little nicer, called the BumpBuster. In my opinion, you are wanting 3 seperate things done for your gun. If it were mine, I would do each project individually and have them done right, by the best craftsmen available for that job..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

ran a gun business for 30 years...dealt with Giacomo exclusively for P gun repairs....simply the best MHO, puablo

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

All the above are excellent choices. All of the above may require the same time due to business. When your good, it takes time.

Personally, Giacomo and Kerry Allor.

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan

8. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Perazzi USA

Lucio is good...

ernie

9. hiboost745

hiboost745 TS Member

Giacomo............They are the Best! There is a reason for the waiting list. The best are worth waiting for IMHO.

Jon

10. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I did this same search last year. Went with Giacomo and have never regretted it. I did wait for it, but worth every second of it. The gun I got back was not the one I sent him, it looked brand new. Dan will get mine again soon for the annual tune up, and I'll try and be patient waiting for it to come back. But I already know it's worth it.

Hal Hitchcock

11. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

Thanks for the great information!

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have a TMX with about 400,000 rounds through it. I bought it new over 20 years ago. Giacomo is the only one who ever touched it. I have never had any thing break, knock on wood, Giacomo (now Dan) does an inspection every year and I fix what he says needs fixed. Gun is almost as tight as when I bought it.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm glad to hear so many good things about Dan..and Giacomo.. I just got off the phone with Dan.. If you need your gun reblued.. stock refinished.. recheckered.. YES.. plan on 4 to 6 weeks... BUT if you are only looking for a annual.. maybe fitting a new barrel.. trigger job.. it is still 10 days..2 weeks turnaround time.. The cosmetic work eats time.. Nothing can change that.. Thanks you all for your kind words.. Dan/Giacomo's will continue to keep up their flawless work.. Perfection takes a little more time.. All Good.. Mike

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Horror story for you...I took mine to a reputable large gunsmith and was severly dissappointed in this companies work. So much I posted what to do here. Trapshooters forum members said give him another chance and I did. I told him how I felt and he said he would personally look after it. I got it back from him after a special talk about my concerns and the very concerns were not corrected. I am now going to send it off to Giacomo and NEVER go anywhere else.

15. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

Bruce Bowen is right up there w/ perazzi's as well

jd

16. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I very recently was in need of a TM 1 rebuild. By reputation and word of mouth I was convinced that Giacomo's was the only place to send it. I had special concerns on condition of my gun that I wanted answered before sending it away. I made repeated attempts to talk to Dan (by phone) with absolutely no luck whatever. Finally, out of frustration, I talked to a nice gentleman
    about my gun and price for service. All he could do was consult a price sheet, item by item, with what seemed like very little knowledge of the guns workings. His non binding price "quote" was in the area of $1400. I was also told that if I sent the gun in now, it would be approx 8 weeks before they could look at it. Many postings on this site as well as talking with people that have had similar service done at Giacomo's seemed to indicate $500-$750 was the expected price for refurbishing. Once again I attemtped to contact Dan for further info and clarification. Once again he was not available but was promised he would call me back. Never happened. I then searched for service elsewhere.

In reviewing my needs for Perazzi Service on TS.com I saw repeated good comments about Doug Braker. One phone call to Doug answered all the questions I had. I sent my gun to Doug the following day. When received Doug called me and refurbishing was authorized at a considerable savings. Turn around time would be approx three weeks. I have not yet received the TM 1 after refurb but I am confident all will be OK.

Please do not consider this thread to be a vote of no confidence in Giacomo's
    abilities or expertise. I guess they had too much on their plate to provide me with the personal service I required. I would not hesitate to give them another opportunity should the need arise, and I expect it will.

Marc

17. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

Marc:

Thanks for telling us about your experience with Giacomo. I have also had a difficult time getting Dan to call me back with information that I'd requested. Let us know how your TM 1 turns out.

John

18. zinger

zinger Member

Those of us who know how busy Dan is at Giacomo's are willing to wait. It's nice that Doug Baker had the time to take care of you. Hope all goes well for you.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between release triggers and rebuilding a gun. Dan is the Perazzi man and he did some fine work for me while at the Grand this year. While at the Dollar last year he stopped what he was doing to help me with an small emergency on my K gun. I have had others work on my Perazzi's but the work has usually had to be redone.

Don

20. mooney

mooney Member

When I was shooting a P-Gun, I had Doug do most of the work on both my TM-1 and MX-8. Anytime he did any work on my guns it was flawless. I've known Doug for close to 25 yrs., we met when he woekd for Jack Gracey in Lake Geneva.I have kept in touch since I left Illinois and two years ago, I was having problems with the release triggers in my Kolar. I sent the trigger up to Doug; he heavied up both the trigger sets and had it back to me in a week working perfectly.

Giaccomo's facility is first rate. They rebuilt my MX-8 before I sold it and when I got it back it was like new.

If I still shot a P-Gun I would not hesitate to use either Doug or Giaccomo. But I would call Doug first. He is a fine gunsmith. Knowledable, honest, fair and one fine person as well. I still think he is going to be trampled by a Moose up there in the wilds of Minn.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dan braker gunsmithing
doug braker gunsmith
giacomo perazzi gunsmith

perazzi gunsmith

perazzi gunsmithing

perazzi gunsmiths

perazzi shotgun repair
repairs to perazzi shotgun