1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

It's not the gun -- it's the shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009

This afternoon I went to the trap club for the 4th time in my trapshooting career and I discovered that success has only a little to do with the gun and almost everything to do with the shooter.

I was very pleased with the second of my two rounds. What pleased me the most is that I shot well using the same old gun I had been using before (a Remington 31 TC that I bought on the Forum from Trapshooting Hippie, thank you Gene, the TC is everything you said it would be).

What changed is that I was reaching out and feeling for the bird rather than focusing on the bead. This showed me that I can shoot well with my old workhorse of a trap gun and that it will be a long time before I am good enough that I need to think about an upgrade. I felt I was shooting well, but not because I was counting. To my great surprise and delight, when the round was over I discovered that I had broken the last 18 targets for a score of 23 out of 25.

I am sure that part of my success is that I was not keeping score in my head. Till that round, hitting five in a row made me very nervous. I seriously doubt that I would have hit the 18th if I had been thinking that I had just broke 17.

What a great sport and what a great Country!

On this 4th of July, may G-d Bless all the men and women who have risked it all to let us live free.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Most of the great shots will tell you "one bird at a time."
  3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2007
    W ay to go Lou. That gun will break 25, it did for me several times. Ya are on the right track, looking at the bird and not the bead. Just focus on the bird and the barrel will follow.

Keep breakin em, Gne J
  4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lou, I am happy for you!!! You just got it!!! Keep your eye on the target. Never and I repeat Never look at the end of your gun (bead). Just watch the target and watch it break. You will move the gun to the target and get the right lead without ever looking at the end of the barrel, because if you do look at the end of it, you will hear lost target almost every time. Best of Luck on that first 25 strait. I'll try to keep a eye out for you. Break-em all. Jeff
  5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    As part of Leo's Pre-Shot routine, he checks his bead to be sure his gun is aligned right with his eye, then moves his vision out to the place in front of the trap house that he expects to acquire the target. He would recommend keeping the bead....
  6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    For me, it comes down to gun fit.

If I can't get the beads aligned and point the thing where I look, it will not work for me.

I had Tron build on off-set spacer to get more cast off. Averaged 98.2 at the Ohio State - which is great for me. Doubles scores also went up dramatically.

I did black out the front bead. I am an old rifle/pistol shooter and tend to bead check when bearing down; and that will kill my score.

Don Verna
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.