1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IT'S Legal to Shoot from the Hip in The ATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phil Kiner, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

It has already been proven that Stafford is much better than Dan B from the hip.

2. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

Tom Knapp or Tim Bradley come to mind, but Sylvester Stallone would probably take 'em all hands down. :D

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It is? OOPS....grin!

um, andi nomis

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjs1yVq2xSs?version=3&feature=player_profilepage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjs1yVq2xSs?version=3&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

5. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

What Kiner said. I was there and saw it happen. Stafford even warned Dan that he could really do this and he did.

Jeff Bailey

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

How about someone not only shooting from the hip but doing it while being in his wheelchair! Hoe name was Robert Thomas but everyone just called him "Bat".

He had especially made barrels for his guns which were MUCH longer than anything else you would see at the Grand (Vandalia). These barrels were maybe 50" or more and he had the stock weighted with carbide so his shotgun weighed around 23 pounds. He did this because a very bad back made recoil a major problem. Given those problems he still shot several thousand targets a year in all three events and his averages were very respectable.

When I first met him he asked me to hand him his gun from the rack. I think he did that just to see the expression on this newbie's face when I thought it was stuck to the rack it was so heavy!

He always parked his van near the bleachers by the vendor building. Most every year Trap & Field had a picture of him in his chair somewhere at the Grand. Eventually deteriorating health took him out of the shooting game.

He was from Greenville, PA (located about 15 miles from the Ohio border a few miles north of I-80 in the N-S middle of the state) and shot at many of the same clubs I shot at.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's not legal in sporting clays - though you would think it would be.

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Is that PapCharlie in the video?

9. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Charlie pappy-no, no, no--Possibly on station 8 in skeet-But not in trap--

Trap-4

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

saw harlan smoke a pair of doubles from the hip, my jaw dropped.

11. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Just another reason that we HAVE to have PRO class:)

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Let's make all the dogs including ollie shoot all events from the hip. Then there will be no need for concrete or changeing the holes or manditory reductions. Solves all our problems and Roger can quit bitching.

Don

13. Butler

Butler TS Member

I was there when ray and dan shot frin the hip, I believe a western slope lawyer had placed a large amount for the winner if they shot from the hip

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

At the NY State Shoot back around 1974 or 76 there was a guy who shot Doubles from the hip. I don't remember his name or where he lived but we did check his score and he shot an 85 or 86. It was the only time I ever saw him, so he probably was from another state. I have had many days when I couldn't break 85 or 86 with the gun on my shoulder. Larry Evans

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

RickN--Yes that is PapCharlie in the vid.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ban these assault shotguns that can be fired from the hip!

At least, that's what Sarah Brady's logic is. They cited shooting from the hip as a function of assault weapons.

17. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Myself and several others were at the Sil Dollar and watched Charlie break 50 straight shooting skeet!

18. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

After 100 extras for the Western Zone Singles Championship (in those days Colo was in the WZ) Sid Pleasant offered a $100 bill if they would settle from the hip. He knew Stafford was proficient from the hip and did it to con Bonillas. Stafford warned Dan B not to take it but DB insisted. They both broke the first 2 then DB missed and kept on missing. Stafford broke 23 and DB broke 6. DB stormed of the line po'd.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

BIGDON, please do not use my name in such a derogatory fashion. You know I'm a very sensitive kind of guy. You never saw me shoot from the hip nor do you want to!!

20. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

TTT

Gunnerx11

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.