1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

It's got to effect attendance?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BAP, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAP

BAP TS Member

It may affect attendance but thats the norm her in the south and we do it 3 months out of the year. I must admit it's rough on a fat boy though. Bill Parson Jr.

2. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Hey fat boy. Hope to see you at the grand. Todd

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

While unpleasant, shooting in hot weather is the norm for many of us. 100 degrees is pretty much a cool day at kingsburg at the state shoot.

4. PNT

PNT Member

Sounds just like last year.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

For the creative the heat could be used as an excuse to as why they missed targets.

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

are we shooting in death valley?

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why yes ... you are shooting in temperature conditions equal to Death Valley, maybe winter time in Death Valley temperature but Death Valley conditions are still Death Valley conditions.

8. grammie

grammie TS Member

Yes,,it is a "dry heat",,,anybody who ever becomes acclimated to the desert,,knows that it is much,,much,,much,,more comfortable than 90 degrees and 90% humdidity!!!!

That is why older americans are flocking to the desert states in record numbers,,,,that is why the golf courses are full when its 108 degrees and hotter outside....

Matter of fact,,,if the temperture and humidity in Sparta were the same as Arizona,,,,then there would be news reports day and night about the "dangerous" tempertures.....

Shooting in "death valley" would be safer for the older shooters than 99 degrees and 90% humidity.....

AKA Grammie...........

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

If the state of Illinois really wanted to make Sparta a worldly shooting center they could have built air conditioned facilities to shoot from.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Zara, Truth is, the hot air is thin and the targets have to be thrown faster to get to that magical distance. (You know, those 48 yard screamers.) Now humidity, that is a different issue. Maybe they balance out. Jake

11. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

It is 122 degrees in Bahgdad today and our guys are shooting and not complaining even though they are wearing 4olbs of body armor and there are people shooting back at them.

Clyde

12. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

We shoot in 100 degree heat and high humidity all the time in Houston. Man up!

:)

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Sounds like the weather is going to be just great in Sparta. I am looking forward to another Grand. Last year they kept the coolers behind the traps loaded with ice water ( did that ever happen in Vandalia?) and it was great . Wonder if attendance will be up?

Charlie

14. Harold

Harold TS Member

If the hot air is thin, the targets would be thrown slower. The high humidity will make the air even thinner, water vapor being lighter than the air it displaces.

15. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

After shooting here for the last two days my suggestion is they clear out the Wal-Mart and we shoot it inside in the A/C!

16. mcv

mcv Member

"Last year they kept the coolers behind the traps loaded with ice water (did that ever happen in Vandalia?) and it was great." - Charlie Becknell

Sorry to burst your bubble, Charlie, but the coolers loaded with ice water and the tents were provided by IDNR for the line personnel...not shooters and/or visitors. Shooters and visitors were only "behind the traps" for about an hour and 1/2 at the most. The line personnel were out there in that heat for (some) up to 14 hours EVERY day and not able to leave their bank. I'm not saying that you are not worth it (I did give water to an elderly gentleman that was about to pass out last year) . . . but please don't advertise this.

17. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

They did have coolers full of ice cold water where we were. They didn't provide shade though.....so take umbrellas. They worked great for shade. If you have misters and those coolers for your neck...be sure and pack them. Any items to help keep cool. Even ice packs are a good idea. Fans.....

well, see you in the heat..........it is summer in Kansas too and I have been getting used to the heat in a very hot camper while packing. ;o)

Lorna

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There was ice water on every bank last year and this spring at the US Open. They had tents for the help and also tents selling items. I swear some go there with their eyes shut. It's hot and dry all over the mid-west this year. How cool and dry do you think it is in Vandalia??

Please find something orignal to bitch about.

Don

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

bystaner, there's not a word of truth in your post. Where in the devil did you hear that?

The ATA provided all the water last year and it was for everyone.

The IDNR will provide all the water this year and once again, it is for everyone.

Neil

20. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Frogg Toggs has a new 'chill' hat and pad. They are awesome. The hat kept me cool all day and I wet it once. I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot with a towel wrapped around my neck (the pad)...worked great when I was done with each round though. Check it out (the link above should work).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.