1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IT'S ALMOST DOVE SEASON!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

IT

Well it is almost dove season. For those of you that hunt/shoot doves:

What are your favorite dove hunting guns?

What choke do you use (IC, Lt Mod, Mod, etc.)?

If you shoot factory loads what are they?

What state do you hunt doves in?

Do you use one or more MOJO Dove Decoys?

I will be using either a Browning Citori Lightning Feather 16 gauge with IC and Lt Mod choke tubes or a Browning Sweet 16 with a plain improved cylinder choked barrel, Fiocchi Game & Target one ounce 1165 fps 7.5's over two MOJO Doves in southern Oklahoma.

2. KS trap

KS trap Member

I like to pop them with a 12 gauge side by side bored IC and left barrel modified.

Half the time I just use trap loads which do well.

Hunted with mojo dove and it does help.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I shoot at (at being the operative word) them with either my Browning Gold hunter, Rm 1100 or 11-87 and switch chokes hoping it will make a difference

I do usually limit, but them little #$$%^^ sure can fly

And we use Mojo's with 3 1/4 1 1/4 7 1/2 reloads

We're in NE Texas about 50 miles from Dallas

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Trap loads with 7 1/2s through 101 skeet gun.

5. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Winchester SuperX-1 Skeet gun with IC Vent barrel. I use reloads or Remington Dove loads with 1 or 1/18 oz of 8's. Mojo Dove helps but watch out for others in your party.

Hunt west and south of San Antonio. Good luck everybody!

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Remington 870 Wingmaster 28" fixed modified choke. My trap reloads.

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Winchester M-12 28ga with mod choke or Rem 11-48 skeet, #9 skeet-reloads & 2-mojos.

8. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

1974 Remington 1100 20ga.with 26" IC. I recieved the gun as my 8th grade graduation gift in 1974. No decoys, do it the old fashioned way. I hunt close to water with a good old dead elm tree close. That or find the roost and get close for lots of action in morning when they leave to feed or afternoon when they return to roost.

In the old days when farmers had hog lots where they fed ear corn was always pretty good, too. Especially if there was a pond in the hoglot.

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

I think I will start out with a 1923 Fox cyl./imcyl. with 1oz. reloads and then go to a M12 12 ga or SX1 using factory oz. and 1/8 for Tn. doves. No mojo's yet.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Guerini 32", 28 or 20 ga the first morning in Ohio. After that, 12 gauge SX-1 with my handicap reloads, unless I know we have a good field and I can pick my shots.

In cut corn, it's full choke 12 gauge and long shots. Hate to wound and lose birds. Robo's work great in cut corn or wheat.

11. Trap MD

Trap MD TS Member

I use my Remington 1187 12ga, modified choke, Remington Dove loads 8's, and two mojo doves. Zeiger, our German Shorthair, retrieves the birds. My husband, father, and I hunt in north-central kansas on my dad's farm. My husband and I also hunt in south-central nebraska. We usually do not have a problem shooting our limit at each outing, unless a cold front pushes through and the doves fly further south. I love to hunt doves, but, they can be very tricky to hit! The mojo dove really does a great job attracting the birds. Good luck to all and have fun!

Michele in Nebraska

12. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Indiana, have to hunt state ground no permission to hunt private property, first 2 days are drawn and this makes 7 years in a row I didn't get drawn. And on top of that we have to shoot steel, number 6 is a killer at distance 7 steel will drop them at 20 yards or less. So much hunting pressure I won't use a decoy after 2 days they've been shot at so much the decoys flare them. Lucky are you that have private property to hunt. I leave my Springers home, too many sand burrs and too hot.

13. William681

William681 Member

Vintage LeFever 20ga single trigger mod & full
    Lite weight swings fast, always shoots just ahead of where dove dived down, cut left, cut right, or spun a 180 back.
    Need glove on left hand cause damn that barrel gets hot.
    Bill

14. SX12

SX12 Member

I shoot 20 and 28 gauges exclusively and full choke exclusively because I live for the long shot and always want to be prepared for it. My 28 gauge is an 870 and my favorite 20s are the Winchester 50 and the Remington 17. In my opinion, the best dove guns over. My 20 Browning superposed comes in behind these two. Best loads I've used are the hard shot target loads

Iowa opened their dove season last year and I set aside 6 acres of corn to plant pearl millet. We harvested 330 doves off those six acres. I also met up with Double Auto in Oklahoma and we had a great time

In addition to the Iowa food plot, I had a 25-acre food plot planted in SE Kansas, which is somewhat questionable due to the drought. I need to get down and see it this week because I am questioning the reliablity of the reports I'm getting. If there's something there, I need to do some mowing.

Hope our paths cross again this year Double Auto.

SX12

15. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Just went scouting for doves yesterday afternoon north of Bakersfield. We have several different fields we hunt every year. Depending on what crops are growing near by determinds which fields will be the best that year. We seen tons of birds last night and I'm starting to get excited about hunting this year.

My dove hunting gun of choice is a 20 gauge 1100 witha 28" barrel and mod choke. It is amazing how far you can hit a bird with it. Alot of the guys I hunt with are not shooters and dove season is the only time they handle a gun. They can't hit em and I get to fill their limits for them (Shhhh!). Makes for some great times!

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I have a 45 acre wheat stubble field right in front of my house.
    Last night I hid by one of these straw bales and in 30 minutes I could have shot AT 500 doves. I'd maybe have to shoot at that many to get a limit.

[​IMG]

17. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

My dove gun is my everything gun--Beretta 682 Sporting 12 ga.
    Chokes IC and Mod
    Load 3-1 1/8-8 Trap loads. Fed, Rem, Win. doesn't seem to matter
    Live in NC now
    Tried the Mojo dove last year. Works really well with a small group. Bought a second one this year.
    I can't wait! Good luck to all.

18. perazzidb81

perazzidb81 Member

My dove guns are either a Browning Sweet 16 with 7/8 of 8's, or my Parker 20 gauge and 7/8 of 8's with mod chokes. I am in central Nebraska and hunt a stock pond with a wheat field on one side and a marijuana patch on the other side. With that combo we slaughter the birds.

19. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

Where I hunt in Virginia, the dove are usually plentiful for the opener but the shots are long. Last year, my son used my 3200 with trap loads and it worked beautifully. This year, I'm going to use my K-80, LM and M chokes, #8 trap loads. It may look silly, but I use that gun for nearly everything. We begin with sporting clays in the morning, before heading to the dove fields. I'll just keep shooting the same gun. My son will likely use his Browning Jamamatic (I mean Gold Hunter), which he loves, before it jams and he switches to a backup M-12 or my 3200. My daughter will use my 390 which will function flawlessly and hopefully take several birds on her very first dove hunt. My father will use his 687 EL for clays and hunting. I'm making myself crazy. I cannot wait for Sep 8th!!

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

RickN, I like your field. What time should I be there?

Awesome!

I'll furnish the after hunt beverages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best dove decoys forum