1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Its a crying shame !!!!! UPDATED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wheelchair shooter, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

It's a crying shame when you have 4H kids at their National Competition and have their parents vehicles broken into and have their guns and binoculars and such stolen from the parking lot. This took place this week at the National Shooting Sports Complex in San Antonio. One of my kids had all of her pistols and equipment stolen after some no good S O B broke into their vehicle in the parking lot along with several other vehicles. There is no sense in this happening. They should have had security patroling this area or at least had some type of surveillence cameras for that area. The police came out but ther is nothing they could do but get finger prints and fill out reports. The complex should do something to help these people out but from what I understand they will do nothing. That is one place that I always wanted to go but I think that I will scratch that from my List.

Thad Bellow /
    Ascension Parish 4H
    Shooting Sports Instructor

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Thad,
    I agree it's a shame. But, we also need to secure our belongings. I've been to numerous shoots at the center in SA and never seen a problem. I will be tgere in late July and plan on taking extra caution now. Thanks for the heads up.
    Jimmy

3. t-bar

t-bar Member

We were there for the Southwestern Grand, I did see security then. What a shame it had to happen. Don't think anymore you can have enough security, especially at a big complex for shooting.

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

That is why thieves have been despised throughout history. Islam prescribes cutting off the hand of a thief. Seems harsh but thieves themselves have no heart. They believe that if they can steal it the owner does not deserve to have it. In the west we have always been too indulgent of thieves except in the old west when horse thieves were unceremoneously hanged!

Look what happened on Long Island. Four people were murdered because a thief wanted the drugs in the pharmacy and the lives of the victims were secondary to HIS wants. Now he will live for perhaps 50 years or more in a heated and air conditioned prison with 3 squares and color TV. One of the victims was a 17 year old girl who was graduating high school TODAY!

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Last fall they were handing out tags for the cars of competitors.
    They need a guard at both entrances.
    Seems like every shoot guns get harvested. I always leave my gun at the shell house or have it in my possession.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sickening.

-Gary

7. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I live in Texas and Shoot at this fine facility. They are going to be forced to fix the theft problem they are becoming known for. This has been going on for years. I have friends that have had theft there. Allen

8. wheelchair shooter

This is a place that holds msny large events. There is no excuse for not having some type of security there. I am planning on writing a letter to the National 4H Headquarters asking them to not hold any more National 4H Events at that facility. It probably won't do any good but maybe if they quit going there for a while they may do something about the security at that place.

Thad

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Be sure to copy the facility in as well.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

There was a thread about the NSC in San Anotnio a couple years ago on SGW. One poster noted that, based on local LE information, there were local thieves using "spotters" out on the parking lots, taking note of which vehicles had shooters with high end guns and/or multiple guns and then troll the local hotels/motels and or local eating establishments and conduct a "smash and grab".

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

People rarely understand the cost of providing "security" at events of most any type. That cost must be passed down to the shooters in this case and we all know how an extra bundle of cash for each event would be complained about vigorously. The reputation of problems at the San Antonio facility is not a secret all the way out to the left coast and certainly should be addressed. But be ready for the boost in costs to shoot were they to post some uniforms for many hours a day. The service would NOT be cheap; especially if those hired were actually skilled.....breakemall

12. shogan191

shogan191 TS Member

Knowing the market for stolen guns it seems only logical that these shoots would be targeted. Were the guns stolen from locked vehicles?

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Guns being stolen is the BIGGEST reason I wont put firearms stickiers on my truck at all! I dont want them to think "Hey got a Glock sticker wonder if there is 1 in there?" Makes me sick to think I cant leave my belongings in my car or truck without worry, But God help em if I catch em in the act.

Hope things get recovered!

Jerry

14. wheelchair shooter

The items were not stolen from my vehicle, they were stolen from one of my 4H shooters parents vehicle and the vehicle was locked. They busted the side glass on the truck wich was a F250 and stole everything they could get their hand on. The guns were in cases under the seats. Just makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about it.

Thad

15. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

SA Police raided a drug house and found drugs,,three Perazzi's, spare trigers, hand guns. All were reported stolen from National Shooting Complex. All were returned to the owners.. LUCKY. Allen

16. Target13

Target13 Active Member

I contacted the NSSA and National Shooting Complex Staff after reading the above. In discussing with the Staff, no one was aware of this situation happening on the NSC grounds during the National 4H Shoot. True, I was NOT at the event, so my information comes second hand ........ nevertheless, I was told by Royce Graff - NSC Complex Manager that this break-in DID NOT OCCUR ON THE GROUNDS OF THE NATIONAL SHOOTING COMPLEX !!!! The incident reportedly happened in the Parking Lot of a local San Antonio restaurant !!!

THere is no question that what happened was not good. Whether it be San Antonio or anyplace else, auto/truck break-ins are contininuing to rise. As the Chairman of the NSCA - National Sporting Clays Association, I assure you measures have been stepped up at the National Complex including added guards on patrol and cameras. This issue has been discussed as recently as mid-June with the NSSA side and both organizations have stressed that shooter safety and protection of their property on the NSC grounds as a # 1 Priority.

In the same vein, I think it needs to be stressed to all people that attend shoots in San Antonio and elsewhere that they need to use "common sense" with their valuables. Too many times as shooters we get "lazy" and lay our valuables on the front or back seats and invite problems. BE smart and utilize the Gun Storage at the NSC or lock in your trunks and take to your room with you each evening. Additionally, when you are at a shoot, just like it is your responsibility to safe handle a shotgun, be aware of your surroundings and if you see something that looks out of the ordinary, go tell the Shoot Management.

If the gentleman that started this post has any additional information or proof that this occurred on the NSC grounds - please email me directly at Murray826@aol.com. Additionally, I ask that you call NSSA-NSCA Executive Director Michael Hampton, Jr. @ San Antonio Headquarters with info on the crime as well as a Police Report Number.

If this crime actually did not happen on NSSA NSC property but actually off the property as reported, I would hope that the gentleman that started this post would admit he made a mistake and that nothing happened on NSC property. Making accusations like this, if false and not the true facts, is not right.

Once again, I repeat that I was NOT at the event but upon further investigation with NSC Staff, I was told that none of this "alleged" crime happened out there. Something is not right here and I would sincerely hope that if something did happen on the NSC Grounds it would be reported immediately rather than being spread out and discussed on this forum.

These are serious allegations and something that all of us in the NSSA-NSCA take very seriously. At this National 4H event, I assure you that Michael Hampton and Royce Graff had stepped up all aspects of security at the request of both the NSSA and NSCA Executive Committee's - theft and break-in's have been a issue out at the Complex, as well as other ranges/gun clubs. Steps were taken and in place for ALL events at the Complex.......

"Mr. Wheelchair Man", please provide all the facts to clear this up once and for all. My condolences to the family that experienced this break-in wherever it was. Something like this should never happen and when it does, it can affect all of us. All of us are concerned that this happens and continues to happen. I know individuals that this has happened to and all of us want to try to never have this happen again, if we can prevent it.

Phil Murray

17. wheelchair shooter

The original information I recieved was from one of the other parents that was at the event. I was told by them that it happened on the NSC grounds. I spoke with the parents of which this incident happened and was told that it DID NOT happen on NSC property.I want to clear the air and I admit that I made a mistake and I apologize for that. I should have checked with the parents directly instead of using second hand info. So please lets put this behind us. I admit I made a mistake, people are human and that does happen from time to time. I'm not trying to make any enemies here . I enjoy this site to much.

Thad Bellow

18. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

At all large shoots at the NSC there are lockers avaliable, with security, for overnight storage of your guns. If you go there you should take advantage of it. All thefts related to their events, that I'm aware of except one, happened, like this one, off the grounds in restaurant or motel parking lots. There is no doubt theives of San Antonio know when big events are on at the NSC and know how to take advantage of it. To their credit the NSSA-NSCA managment makes avaliable safe, secure storage facilities. Take advantage of it if you plan to attend their great events. Jimmy Borum

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The story that somebody's vehicle got broken into at the NSC sounded a little fishy to me from the start. There is far too much activity going on to make something like that viable. It seems unlikely that any thief would try something that stupid with hundreds of people walking around with guns and ammo in their hands. Far safer to break in at motels and restaurants.

20. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Thad if this was my thread I would asked that the entire thread be removed now that it has been shown to be untrue. David may be at the California State Shoot, in his absence you can fix it yourselves by each person who posted negatives on this can removing their own post.
    WE DON'T NEED GUN CLUBS SLANDERED, WE ARE ALREADY LOOSING TO MANY.
    Dicksie Spolar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.