1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ithica 500

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have a well used 500 o/u that will not shoot the bottom barrel if i use 1oz shells.If I shoot 1oz in the bottom barrel first the top barrel will shoot.If I shoot a 11/8 in the top barrel then it will shoot the bottom barrel.do you think it is a easy fix or should i take it to a gunsmith?or maybe just get rid of it.

2. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Sounds like the inertia system is dirty and needs a good cleaning Ill buy it if you dont want to fix it-Mike

3. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

mike, i will take it to the gunsmith next week.the last time i had him clean a gun for me he charged me $75.00.i don't see him charging me any less for this gun.if that's the case i will pm you some pic's and a price.

tracy

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Take off the stock and clean/oil the recoil inertia blocks.

Also check the springs are working and not broken

regards

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

OK,i have the stock off and there are no broken springs.everything moves but there was no oil or grease or any lub on the gun.everything was clean.looked like it just came from the factory.so what parts do i oil/grease?i have rem oil and lubraplate(sp) grease. tk's

Tracy

6. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Tracy,

Check if the inertia return spring cap if free in the inertia block. Mine was sticking and would not let the block move freely. Also since I wanted to shoot lighter loads I cut two coils off the return spring. Now I shoot 1 oz loads and it switches over every time. If I want to replace the return spring it only cost #3.50. Lyle

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

make sure you have spares before you cut anything.

How do I know that ???

block should move very easily

regards

8. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Don't use Remoil. Good rust preventative, bad lube. Sticky.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Even if it looks clean hold it outdoors and spray with brake cleaner- for a minute or two

Use Q tips in hard to reach places and all around the inertia block

Then spray with rem oil ( which is about the perfect spray for this purpose actually and easily availible)

Use paper towell to blot up all excess rem oil

You just had a 75 dollar cleaning

Gene

10. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

It works. I thank everyone for your help.sprayed it w/cleaner blew it out and sprayed it w/oil.put every thing back together and shot a 1/2 box of lite 7/8oz shells. not one ftf.Dove season starts tomorrow.look out doves. thank you all.

Tracy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.