1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C1, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C1

C1 Member

I went to visit my son in Ithaca and he took me by the old plant. So sad to see the old days fade away.

Gary Riecke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Well, at least the stack survives. Most have been dynamited.

I used to enjoy seeing the Willys Overland stack in Toledo until it was leveled.

Before long all the history that made us great will be gone.

Regards....Gerald

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I hope the Bunny Huggers in Ithaca don't put up such a fuss that has to be removed. Ithaca is full of Liberals, so much so there is a bumper sticker they says: Ithaca NY 10 square miles surrounded by reality.
    I worked there in 68,68 & 70. They made quality guns then.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Very sad.

But Ithaca was born again in Upper Sandusky Ohio. Do yourself a favor and check out their beautiful pump guns. They make 1911 pistols and other guns too, but I haven't shot those.

Click the link.

-Gary

5. C1

C1 Member

I think it is the most liberal town I have ever been in. The wife grabbed my arm and said "let it go" more than once. My son works for Cornell in the computer department but found the love of his life and can't see beyond that so he thinks it's great. The girlfriend's father says Watkins Glenn is Ithaca without the liberals and a much better place to live (wink, wink). It is a very scenic place with lots of outdoor activities that my son and girlfriend like.

Gary Riecke

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

All this Ithaca talk is making me feel nostaligic. I'm gonna go pull my Flues SxS out of the safe and snuggle with her.

-Gary

7. Rem29

Rem29 Member

I have a 37T 60:40 on order and it should be in this week! I will write a review once I get a flat or two through it. Let's hear it for the made in the USA label.

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

Rem29 I got one of the new 37T last year. I ordered it with AAA wood and 70/30 rib. I ordered a 60/40 rib also. I then added an adjustable comb and butt plate. I bought it for nostalgia as I shot my firt trap with one in 1955. The new gun is better than that one. I think you will like it.

9. tj303

tj303 Member

Even though Ithaca, NY is a liberal, left wing town it is still a great place to be a trapshooter. There are seven trapshooting clubs in the county (Tompkins) with an average cost of $3 a round. Trumansburg Fish & Game, Newfield Rod & Gun, Duesenberry Sportsman, Dryden Gun Club, Groton Gun Club, Lansing Gun club, and Tompkins County Fish & Game club. An little over an hour away is the New York State home grounds.

Cornell University offers physical education classes in pistol, rifle, trap and skeet shooting.

TJ

10. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

The People's Republic of Ithaca...politics back and forth, it is a beautiful place to visit with the Finger Lakes and all (I went to school in Cortland and grew up in Binghamton - both really close).

I remember going to that factory in the mid 70s with my Dad and Uncle - Dad getting his 4E Trap rebuilt and my Uncle buying one of those new fangled Perazzi guns.

I remember seeing so many things being done by hand and asked if there were guys who still engraved guns. They showed me where that was done and there was work being done. I was amazed.

Upstate NY is also a great place to shoot as mentioned. Lots of clubs and great shooters. Life has just taken me to the other side of the Atlantic. I miss it and would go back if there were decent jobs to be had...

11. pdq

pdq Member

I was out at the Cardinal Center a few weeks ago, and visited the Ithaca shop along dealers row. They are bringing back the Knick series, and I was able to see the engraved (but unfinished) receivers for the 5E and the 7E, plus a fully assembled Sousa grade.

I own both a 5E and a 7E, so was very interested in seeing the new models. While the engraving is in the corect "style" for each model, neither of them, or the Sousa grade have the same level of engraving (tightness, intricacy, depth) as my guns from the 1929/1930 era.

Price you ask? He said the 5E was $8k, the 7E is $12k, and the Sousa will be $30k.

Pete

12. wm rike

wm rike Member

PDQ - pictures of your Ithacas?

13. pdq

pdq Member

WM:

I posted them here almost 2 years ago, but just ones of my 7E. Cut & paste the entire link into your browser and take a look:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?Threadid=236281&ShowDeleted=Yes&SortBy=DESC#1049103

or search on here for the subject line of "Just bought a 1929 Ithaca Knick 7E"

in Archive #1.

Pics are at the bottom of the post. Completely original, unrestored gun. Choked at .040 -- crushes targets.

Pete

14. wm rike

wm rike Member

Pete - much thanks for the link. Gorgeous guns, just gorgeous.
    Bill

15. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Well I can give a short review of my brandy new Ithaca 37T now that I have a couple a boxes through her.

Getting the gun was a 8 week wait as Ithaca was in a production run of the 60:40 30" barrel that I wanted. When it finally came in I was curious as to why the mid bead was missing and thought it either fell out or was a factory "oversite" (pun intended). After searching the packaging and finding na-da, the dealer called the factory for me. Ithaca said that even though the rib are drilled for the mid bead, the bead itself as an option and was an additional $15. This was not offered on order placement nor is on the options list on the websight. I was handed the phone, and Ithaca reaffirmed that it would cost me an additional $15. I politely said it was unacceptable on a $900 gun and told them I was refusing delivery until the issue was resolved. Ithaca called the dealer back 15 minutes later and told him they were shipping the bead out priority mail at no charge. I was overall saddened with the customer service knowing how the "old" Ithaca treated their customers. Let's move ahead and hope this is just a growing pain at the factory...

The gun is built like a Swiss watch. Precision fit form and function through and through. I took her out of the box, gave her the new gun cleaning and away we went to the field. Shot 3 squads of trap 25 < yes 1st round, 24 and 25! Winchester 1200 fps STEEL shot out of the stock MOD choke.

The monte carlo stock is not oversized and cheek welds beautifully. Grip is comfy, similar to my Citori XT (my primary clay crusher) and the action is solid locking but cycles like the precision machine it is. Fluid, no drag, perfectly aligning, high quality, MADE IN THE USA, construction. The receiver is, I
    believe, the standard model 37 as the top is a matte blued and tapped to receive scope mounts. I was not liking the matte finish up top but convinced myself it eliminates any glare that would disrupt sighting. (Very well may be true, but I like it now) As for the scope mount holes, they are neatly plugged with the appropriate set screws but this beauty shoots so well I may have to install a scope for those "let me see how far I can let the clay fly" shots. I was "playing" later and allowing others to shoot the 37T and swear the clays were dying of old age they were so far out before smashing them. All liked the fit and were able to shoot her well without any trouble at all.

Bottom line, YES I would buy it again in a heartbeat. NO this is not a Kreighoff or a Ljutic but this sweetheart of a gun is withing the budget of most any trap shooting enthusiast. If you are looking for a premium gun at a reasonable price, buy one but make sure you tell them to throw in the mid bead at no charge!!

PS - I have not patterned her but feel it is 60:40 just like the doctor ordered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.