Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithaca Shotguns -- What do they mean to YOU?

3K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  Merlyn 
#1 ·
I am wondering after all this time - what does the Ithaca Shotgun means to anyone?

The pump shotguns

Side by Side

Trap Model

Autoloader

Riot gun

Over/Under

Do you think there is still a market for these guns. Have the people that valued these guns passed on and there is no one to pick-up the slack.

Better, Cheaper, Faster, Uber tactical, replacements

Too Many bankruptcies

I own several and on the market it seems you can pick them up pretty cheap.

What do we need in the shotgun market?

Would you trust a pistol or rifle made by Ithaca?

Ithaca AR15

Ithaca .50BMG

No respect - do you think people would make fun of these?

If a trap gun was made by Ithaca in the USA would you want it?

What about if the Ithaca was made by Perazzi and imported by Ithaca (again)?

How about 4E, 5E, and 7E guns?

Too late - its over - give up the ghost?

Looking for opinions...

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm not aware of any particular problem with Ithaca guns. I've shot some that I liked and some that I didn't (Mag-10 comes to mind). What would boost Ithaca's reputation and popularity would be an active collector's club like the Parkers and L.C.Smiths have. Some books published on Ithaca guns would also help. The next old brand to be reborn will be Lefever. No reason Ithaca can't get on the band wagon. My advice is to buy all the old Ithacas you can, and then convince everyone that they are the best. Tom S (welderman)

#5 ·
1st shotgun I was taught to shot was a Ithaca 16 ga SxS, that originaly belonged to my great grandad, I was told he ordered it from the monkeywards catalogue and paid a total of six bucks for the gun and 2 boxes of shells. I've got some wonderful memories shooting pheasants with that gun with my dad and grandpa, My dad has the gun now and hopefully it will be a long time before I get it.

#11 ·
Hey Bill, I know what it's like, I've been to a couple of other boards and all I see people talk about, when it comes to Ithaca's, are the 37's, it's like nobody owns the single barrel trap models or something. I've got one, and think it's probably one of the best guns I'll own in my life, plan on keeping it that long too.

-Jollytrapshooter

#12 ·
My old 37 filled the stew pot many, many times and served as my first trap gun for about 3 months....it holds a special spot in my heart for sure.

When I was 12 or so I picked up a 1977 Ithaca catalog at a local sporting goods and was just FLOORED by the $5000 grade single...it didn't even seem real.... and the Perazzi's.....esp. the MT-6 unsingle which was light years ahead of it's time. I thought...... now these are REAL shotguns ! That single cost as much as a car and I was just blown away.

A Mains engraved $5000 Grade is to this day my dream trapgun. Unfortunately I'll likely never own one due to it's rarity and price.

BTW.... I still have that catalog .....all tattered and taped together :)

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

#16 ·
I have my Grandfathers Side by Side he orderd in 1933, He paid $32 dollars for it. It has a custom dimension stock from the factory with beautiful wood that is 1 3/16 drop. much higher than 99% of guns back then. Also choked a light I.C and Im. Mod. Couldn't put the game that gun took in two tractor trailers. Only from my cold dead hands will I part with it. Jeff

#17 ·
My first gun was a 37 16 gauge and then I decided to buy a new gun later and it was a model 37 12 gauge.

I paid 162.00 for it and it was the fancy model forgot if they called it a deluxe or what but it was my first trap gun but I saw other's with the side loading 870's so I bought my first true trap grade T.A. grade remington about 6 months later and it was a good gun ok that was in 1981 and then I bought the same gun I shoot today which I bought new in 1983 and had a blue zillion shell's shot thru it also.

Ok it is a 680 Beretta combo which was cheaper than the P gun's back then at least 2 times as least, I paid 1,442.00 for the new combo when the P gun single barrel was going for way over 2 grand.

Well I still have the 16 gauge model 37 Ithaca pump with the Poly Choke by the way im sure some don't know that the 37's will act like an auto just hold the trigger and pump away and it will fire without releasing the trigger.

Foghorn

#19 ·
The first shotgun I bought for myself was a Featherlite model 37 12ga 28" vent ribbed barrel modified choke from belive it or not JC Penny back in 1974 for $140. Shot rabbits, ducks, a ton of squirrels with it, and even the first buck I ever killed with it. Was the first gun my oldested son shot when he was about 9 or 10 years old. Still have it too many memories in it to part with it. Buy the way it was the gun I broke my first clay target with.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.