1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca NID 5E Double Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by reb87, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb87

reb87 TS Member

I know of a 5E NID double trap gun that I think won the Grand America in the 1930s. I have to do a little more to verify the details but Im pretty sure the story is legitimate. The gun is in nice condition ST AE BT VR like a good trap gun. I have seen 4E double trap guns for around 3k but dont know of any 5E doubles that have sold.

What is a 5E double trap going for, if it was used in and won the Grand does that add premium, and what would the award for winning the Grand (a silver plate I think) be worth?
    Thanks, Ross

2. jlb

jlb Member

Dawsons Doubles has the following for sale at $4,995. This gun does not have a vent rib nor a Monte Carlo stock both of which were available for these guns. I would think, if condition is excellent, that a 5E would bring in excess of 6K. I have found that the NID guns are good shooters. I think my gun is more forgiving than a 21 winchester and perhaps softer shooting.

Category: Ithaca Shotguns N.I.D. Shotguns - American Double
    Title: 2012 Ithaca 4E 12 Gauge
    Guns International #: 100027905
    Lister Inventory Number: 2012
    Description:
    2012 Ithaca 4E 12 gauge, 30 inch barrels, m/f, solid rib, ejectors, single select trigger, pistol grip with cap, sunburst pad, AAA+Fancy Walnut,sn#448153 NID
    Price: $4,995.00

jlb

3. jlb

jlb Member

Dawsons Doubles has the following for sale at $4,995. This gun does not have a vent rib nor a Monte Carlo stock both of which were available for these guns. I would think, if condition is excellent, that a 5E would bring in excess of 6K. I have found that the NID guns are good shooters. I think my gun is more forgiving than a 21 winchester and perhaps softer shooting.

Category: Ithaca Shotguns N.I.D. Shotguns - American Double
    Title: 2012 Ithaca 4E 12 Gauge
    Guns International #: 100027905
    Lister Inventory Number: 2012
    Description:
    2012 Ithaca 4E 12 gauge, 30 inch barrels, m/f, solid rib, ejectors, single select trigger, pistol grip with cap, sunburst pad, AAA+Fancy Walnut,sn#448153 NID
    Price: $4,995.00

jlb

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

John's Trap Guns had one last year that was a two barrel set that sold for 11,000. It left the factory as a trap gun and was a 5e made in 1941. If you want to see some prices on Ithaca SBT'S look on www.stevebarnettfineguns.com.
    Sit down before you check the prices. I believe a factory double in trap config is rare?
    Also a 4e double trap gun on William Larkin Moore's site for 5995.00 so I would say 6000.00 is a little lite for a 5e. Bill

5. reb87

reb87 TS Member

The gun’s owner was Gus Olson of Mission Hill, SD.

The SN is 455736
    Anybody know of him? Would have been shooting in the 20s and 30s

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Don't believe that serial # is anywhere close to a 20's or 30's gun.

7. reb87

reb87 TS Member

the serial number is 1929 manufacture

8. BILL GRILL

Great info Jim! I will post some pictures tonite. Bill

9. FranzSodia

FranzSodia TS Member

Ross, I believe the gun was manufactured in 1928. How is the case coloring on the receiver. Also, do the serial numbers match on the trigger guard tang, watertable of the receiver, the forearm strap and on the buttstock under the trigger guard tang and the forearm under the stap? I have the Ithaca Gun Co. book and I will see what else it says. I had a 1927 NID 4E but the wood was not original, I gave $3,200 for it 2.5 years ago and sold it for what I had in it. I have a friend with a 1927 NID 5E -32", Miller SST, VR, BT forearm and good case color and I think he paid about $4,500 but that was 4 years ago.

Hope this helps. If you end up this gun please post a picture. I could use some eyecandy like that. John E.

10. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Here is what Walt Snyder says about the gun:

Gun 455736 was shipped 9/29 to the Goetz Construction Co. There are many sub events at the Grand. Could he have won one of these perhaps?? All winners are posted on line btw. Sure would be helpful to find that article.
    edit: I scanned the winners of all the events posted, no Gus Olson.

eightbore says this about Gus Olson:

Gus had an .8872 average on 860 birds the first full year he had the gun.

11. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Here is the article, says he won the Grand handicap and some other events. Strange

12. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Ithaca$$$Grade, maybe you should buy the gun, it might improve your shooting.

13. BILL GRILL

Here is a couple of pictures of my 5e double that left the factory as a trap gun. It has 30" barrels, vent rib, Miller single trigger, monte carlo stock.

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00014.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00010.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    Hope you enjoy them. Bill

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Thanjks for all the leg work Ithaca$$$Grade. It makes this a very interesting read. Jeff

15. jlb

jlb Member

Bill

If you will send me an email I will provide a photo of a 4E gun with all extras including two barrels each with a BT forearm and a third set of barrels from a 5E gun. I have not figured out how to post photos so if you would post the photo that would be great. I wonder if your gun has a miller trigger as it looks like a late model and I know that they changed to an Ithaca single trigger prior to the end of the run of guns with cocking indicators. I think that the Ithaca single trigger was a copy of the Miller trigger.

jlb

mjborn@comcast.net

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bill, thats a great looking SXS!! Hap

17. BILL GRILL

jlb, I would be happy to send you an email if you provide your address. Mine is billgrill@charter.net. Also I would be happy to post pictures for you.Yes the gun does have a Miller trigger. Tomorrow I will post a couple pictures of a Fox L grade SBT.
    Jim I shot my 4e sbt Saturday for league, managed to bang out a 95 one 25 in the bunch. First 25 with a old SBT. Bill

18. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Jim,
    Thanks for all the work. Its amazing what is available if you know where to look. Ross

19. jlb

jlb Member

Bill

If you will send me an email I will provide a photo of a 4E gun with all extras including two barrels each with a BT forearm and a third set of barrels from a 5E gun. I have not figured out how to post photos so if you would post the photo that would be great. I wonder if your gun has a miller trigger as it looks like a late model and I know that they changed to an Ithaca single trigger prior to the end of the run of guns with cocking indicators. I think that the Ithaca single trigger was a copy of the Miller trigger.

jlb

mjborn@comcast.net

20. jlb

jlb Member

Bill

jlb

mjborn@comcast.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ithaca nid shotgun with monte carlo comb

4e double trap gun

ithaca 4e 10ga double

ithaca 4e double trap

ithaca nid 4e

ithacanidstock