1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ithaca news!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Just read in July/August Shooting Sportsmen Mag Ithaca is working on a new Knicks single barrel trap gun. Sign me up, I want the first one available. Bill

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Factory release, adj. rib, lol...

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Please post a link or pic of that article. They haven't released the Phoenix O/U yet. A SBT would be a great offering, but I won't hold my breath on when it will be released.

4. BILL GRILL

Buzz, Nobody shooting a Ithaca needs that BS. LOL, Bill

5. BILL GRILL

Rastoff buy the mag page 98. Bill

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bill - your language need a bit of improvement, BUZZY. MODERATOR

Bet you a whole quarter on it.

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Here it is!

(from 83 years ago)

CIMG4038.jpg

CIMG4041.jpg

CIMG4045.jpg

CIMG4040.jpg

CIMG4044.jpg

CIMG4048.jpg

CIMG4049.jpg

8. Bushmaster1313

As we post, the 4E is out getting a good cleaning and the Morgan is being replaced with a Vintage Jostam Hy-Gun that I got on eBay for $5.50.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Alas, I live in the boonies and that mag is not sold around here. :-(

10. Bushmaster1313

Estimated cost?

$1,500 in 1970 would be about $8,200 today.

11. BILL GRILL

Rastoff, PM your address to me and I'll send you one. Buzz it's worse than that on the network news. lol, Bill

12. Bushmaster1313

Saw that the Phoenix O/U is supposed to sell for $2,500.

Should the new Knick be more or less?

Note, Bill Mains is still in the engraving business and does contract work for the new Ithaca.

13. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

were is the wood pile you guys find all these great gun

14. Bushmaster1313

I applied for BP-Stimulus money

I qualify for a handout because I once visited the Gulf Region and another Ithaca would be very stimulating :)

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Where is the Phoenix? It isn't even mentioned on the website. Maybe they decided they could make the Knick for less money and charge the same price for it. I would like to see them make either one.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Didn't Ithaca try the trap market out with a 37 here a couple of years ago? I don't know how many Jaquas sold, but I never heard much about them.

ss

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I'd hold my enthusiasm for a while if I were you. I got to handle a new Phoenix at the Ohio State shoot last week. I was shocked.

I was going to try and sugar coat it, but I just can't. I own an old and beautiful 37 and a newer 28 ga. that I just love, but the new Phoenix is crap! Sorry. It is clunky, sloppy, heavy, and swings like a possum on the end of a rake. And, a possum that isn't holding on tight, either.

The wood may have been experimental so I'll forgive them for the pallet they obviously made it from. But, the .739 barrels are way nose heavy, in addition to being way too heavy. The finish and fit to the old 4E style receiver reminded me of a Remington Spartan 'Bak-la-va'. The old style receiver wasn't designed to hold all that bulk, and it is immediately apparent that it won't. Triggers - what triggers.......

I like the Ithaca Company and I'm pleased as punch that they are staying in Ohio, but the Phoenix needs to be completely rethought.

It's just my opinion, but I am, or was, a very likely buyer - not now. Ithaca hasn't done themselves any favors by dragging that thing to a major event.

IMHO,
    Kip

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

"Didn't Ithaca try the trap market out with a 37 here a couple of years ago? I don't know how many Jaquas sold, but I never heard much about them. "

It's my understanding that they still make the Trap version of the 37. It's not on their website, but it never has been. I saw it at the Shot Show this year and they told me it's in regular production. I guess you have to call them to get it.

19. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"I was going to try and sugar coat it, but I just can't. I own an old and beautiful 37 and a newer 28 ga. that I just love, but the new Phoenix is crap! Sorry. It is clunky, sloppy, heavy, and swings like a possum on the end of a rake. And, a possum that isn't holding on tight, either. "

That IS sugar coating it. Your assesmant is right on. They had it last year at the Buckeye. Let me shoot a round with it. I told them I wouldn't own one if they gave it away.

Geuss they got alot of comments like that, cause they did improve on it some...but its got a long way to go...especially for $2500 or so.

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The 37 can't ever be a trap gun because no one knows how to load it. I hope the Phoenix is brought up to spec so they can sell a few. The new Knick would be great, especially if it is made in a sub bore version. A ten bore would be even more interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.